Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reason for too much strikeouts in season mode
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If you simulate a season.....I'm sure everyone will notice the outlandish stats that develop.....

While checking to see if there was a way to fix this issue I remember someone stated that there was a bug with the curveball.

The curveball was TOO effective and made it the main strikeout pitch of the entire game.

Just wanted to spread this info out there....I'm lowering all curveball and giving them a 2 just to see what occurs.

That means Zito get s a 2 and onward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:27 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I think a large part of it is that people don't pay much attention to what the manual says about pitch levels, and the game itself makes it easy to achieve level 6 and 7 pitches.

What I mean is, level 3-4 is supposed to represent the average MLB ability with a particular breaking ball. Level 1 and 2 are below average, and level 5 is an above average major league pitch. Level 6 is like being the best in the game with a pitch. Level 7 is supposed to be incredibly rare, a pitch of historic greatness (Steve Carlton's slider, Bruce Sutter's splitter, etc.).

If you look real major league rosters, you probably can't come up with more than a handful of pitchers in baseball that would be level 5+ with more than one breaking pitch, and you'd find very few level 6 breaking pitches. Zito's curve was one before he lost velocity and bite, but it is realistically a 5 now. Mariano Riviera's cutter in his prime was a 7 (historically great), but also probably isn't any better than a 5 at this point in his career. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single pitcher I'd say has a level 7 breaking ball in the game today.

But then you look at MLBPP, and without even abusing save/reload you can create pitchers that are as good or better than the best MLB pitchers, with multiple level 7 pitches. And when you factor in training (practice) in season mode, you quickly end up with pitchers that don't bear any resemblence to a realistic major league pitcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
yeah, thats true, I did season mode and got markakis all A's from training, texeria, all A's again, and Rios, all A's.