Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I buy this?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been following this game for awhile now, and I'm not sure if I should buy it. It's on Amazon right now for $30. First off, let me say, I'm a huge stat nerd, and I'd love a really good baseball sim (i.e. not constant home runs like in most other baseball games). I've heard PP is great for that. But also, I'm a big Yankees fan and I like current rosters. So a few questions about that:
How difficult is it to make trades?
Can I save these new rosters and use them in any mode?
For the other Yankee fans out there - How difficult is it for me to create Joba, Phil and IPK with realistic rankings (or would I have to start Joba out as a total bum?)?

Also, does anybody know about the potential of a newer version being released? I've searched around and haven't found anything. Either way, I might just get this to get me through the baseball season (since the new version would probably be released around October like last year's).

So yeah, thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

P.S. I'd be getting the Wii version, and I'm assuming the Wiimote version is just like a beefed up Wii Sports. So if I'm wrong on that, just give me a heads up. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:37 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Without going into too much detail, because those posts will come from other people no doubt, but this has to be the best baseball game ever. The only thing that bothers me about this game, besides the in game announcer, is the fact that I can't find a soundtrack for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
The wiimote question is the easiest. The game has multiple modes and just one of them is the wiimote one. It is like a beefed-up wiisports, but is more in-depth than many think. The control are the same, but you can control the pitches direction a little. Plus the players are still all personalized with different pitches and stuff. The results will usually go heavily in the player's favor - if against the CPU - and the game is obviously more than 3 innings. One thing I love to do. When playing against my brother, I throw a bunch of 105 mph fastballs (that's the highest speed in the game) so everything's a reaction for him. Then I do a pitch-out and get him swinging.

In season mode, the trades are hard to figure out, but the success rating (1 to 5 stars) let's you see if it will go through (look for at least 3 stars). But in just regular data, use the "arrange" option and you can make a team with any players you want in the game - can be used in any mode other than success mode; but if you want to use it in season mode, you have to unlock that privilege from the shop - it's the most expensive. There's different ways to make prospects. The best and hardest and most exciting way is just to create a player and make him however you want - however, the salary will be skewed so he cost as much as clemens. Or you can edit a random scrub like Micah Owings or Darrell Rasner (low-salary guys) and make them one of the Big 3.

BUY THE GAME!!!!!!

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:47 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Quote:
I've been following this game for awhile now, and I'm not sure if I should buy it.

Buy it, you'll thank us later.

Quote:
First off, let me say, I'm a huge stat nerd, and I'd love a really good baseball sim (i.e. not constant home runs like in most other baseball games). I've heard PP is great for that.

Yes, after every game you can view your basic box score stats, pitch location statistics, and hitting (or whiffing) statistics.

Side note: like M-Card said, the announcer sucks, hardcore. He's an over enthusiastic ADHD kid who needs to be put down. Turn him off, you'll be much better off.

Quote:
How difficult is it to make trades?

I'm assuming you're talking about updating rosters...

You can edit the rosters for season mode easily by using arrange mode (you have 32 slots, 30 teams+2 expansions), placing the right people on the right squads, the AAA clubs sadly lack depth, the Japanese programmers probably got lazy typing in all the info.

Trades during season mode, however, as the yankeenut(jgao) above has mentioned, is a bit busted (or maybe he doesn't work it right :P). If you want to grab a high priced guy, you'll need to send potential+ cash their way or the deal will be marked as unfair quickly. The "wait 3 days to approve" and "1 trade at a time" restrictions really hurt.

Watch your spending/earning in season mode, if you're simulating games instead of playing them, you'll need to keep spending way down, or at the end of the first year, you'll be fired from your GM position for going over budget.

Quote:
Can I save these new rosters and use them in any mode?

You'll most likely only need them for season mode, but teams created in Arrange Mode are available anywhere. Oh btw, you'll need to unlock Arrange Team in Season Mode for the ultimate benifit. Go run through season mode once and grab yourself a mess of trophies. Oh and it costs a butt-load of game credits, go play lots or use my exploit (somewhere it's on this site).

Quote:
For the other Yankee fans out there - How difficult is it for me to create Joba, Phil and IPK with realistic rankings (or would I have to start Joba out as a total bum?)?

Joba, seems to be the most wanted player, though the yankee fans here (J-gao for one) haven't quite put together a realistic version of him, though I believe that he was mentioned on the Japanese version with a password (if only we could figure out the password... it's in Japanese).

Success mode, once you beat it the first time, you'll find that creating players can be a 3-4 hr routine (more if you have horrible luck). Just follow the success mode guides found on this forum and wiki to maximize your efforts to gain the max experience to spend on abilities (you don't have to spend the experience at the end to ensure a more "realistic" player build).

There are literally over 100 different events that could take place here, and we've done a pretty darn good job of handling every situation (2-4 possible choices) for each situation. However, the game's dice roller can be fickle at times, and if you want to max out the guy proper, like The-F or some of the other guys here, you'll need to be doing the reload trick over and over and over and over again.

And another thing, you only get 200 custom players, 110 fielders, 90 pitchers, if Konami comes out with a newer version of an older player (like a AAA guy moving up and improving), just edit the player and save the space.

Quote:
Also, does anybody know about the potential of a newer version being released? I've searched around and haven't found anything. Either way, I might just get this to get me through the baseball season (since the new version would probably be released around October like last year's).

News from konami or 2k sports will always be sketchy at best, even if they do say they'll drop a new one, they can always change their mind later. The japanese version has player codes for updated/new players, since we don't read japanese, we can't interpret/translate the code.

Quote:
P.S. I'd be getting the Wii version, and I'm assuming the Wiimote version is just like a beefed up Wii Sports. So if I'm wrong on that, just give me a heads up.

Wii-mote play places a nicer visual spin on wii-sports, although I still have to turn the skill levels up all the way just to make it competitive, where-as wii-sports, It'll still be a challenge with the lack of available variation. Stick to home-run mode, that's where you get a one-armed workout :D

Quote:
Thanks again.

You're welcome, that's why we're here.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I'm personally against the creation of current players and editing. Just the way I am. Unless it's a guy I can't pass up. I am in the middle of Jeff Clement, but whatever.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679