Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: starting out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I just started this thing and there doesnt seem to be enough time to build ANYTHING! what am i doing wrong? everytime i start building I got to rest and waste a day-never made roster first year, never married, etc. never hit a homerun in a game-how do I get off to a fast start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Hello - don't worry, that's just how we all started out. Working out and job/study take a lot of vitality...but don't be discouraged, there are tricks to make it all work.

#1 - get a way to recover, without resting. Resting takes your whole turn, and only gets you back to green, not full (blue). Most 'expert' players only rest when their hyper-recovery gauge is maxed (more on that later). simple options are recovery necklace, or lots of Powerin. Both give you a tiny bit of vitality, so you can practice again.
#2 - use hyper recovery. Work out the same thing over and over - strength and running, typically - then rest, and you'll get a big point bonus after 4-5 workouts. Try to study and get level 2, so you can see the gauge. It also makes passing tests easier.
#3 - later, get into a groove and practice the same thing over and over; you will get more points each time, allowing you to get bigger and better skills.
#4 - gamble. Gambling tickets and preferably Gambling Ring is the best way to increase stats fast with minimal time training.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:52 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well, I wouldn't call them fast starts, but there's definitely a few strategies for success. You might have to be more specific as to what your having problems with though. The one thing that I caught from your post is your complaint about having to rest. Even if you play the traditional way the game was intended (no save/reloading to get favorable results) you should still be able to get a player through success mode and obtain a minor league contract. So resting will not destroy your success mode player, and its even neccessary when you want to work because if you don't have enough vitality your wages will go down. But if you're trying to build an above average or all-star player, a useful item is the recovery necklace. It gives you a little vitality at the beginning of each turn and allows you to keep practicing until you want to rest (for work or h-recovery). Of course, this involves the save/reload technique I mentioned earlier. You can buy the necklace from the store when the option becomes available, but until then you'll have to rest.

But all of this info I've posted is already on this site in one form or another. Just take a awhile to get acquainted with everything and I'm sure you'll find all the information you need. And if you don't... well, that's why we're all here. One of us will steer you in the right direction. Welcome!

EDIT: I must have started typing this before you got a response. (it just took awhile because I had to change a baby's diaper, and he posted before I did. Fun times!) Anyhow, between the two posts I'm sure you get the picture.

Last edited by mrsims31 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Ok, no one else has jumped in here...so here is my advice for 'fast start', although you can take it for what its worth, considering I only have about 10 characters...

1) for the first few weeks, there is very little to do, so I study study study. If you can get a few questions (check the wiki for the answers), you can get some extra headway towards 1st and 2nd level bookworm. This lets you pass tests easily, and pretty much not worry about studying after year 1. I study as long as my vitality is high - in the blue, green, or high yellow. You can stop once you hit Bookworm lvl 2, and can see the hyper-recovery gauge.
2) If your vitality is below high yellow, just practice. Get some points in strength, technique, etc - raise a few things (fielding, contact, etc). If you started with any maladies (laziness, insomnia, etc) get those taken care of.
3) If you meet Annie, study her problems - and take her on a date or 2 - when you have low vitality. You will get bookworm points and not fall asleep.
4) rest when you have to. Before you see the hyper gauge, you can try to wing it and use some Powerin to practice a few extra Strength/running sets, but in general i dont do this until after the first season.
5) once the coach comes, practice a lot. Buy the Recovery Necklace as soon as you can from Bison, to get vitality back every week. Save every week, and then try to practice; if you get injured, save/reload. With enough practice, you'll make it on the team the first season and be destined for stardom.

You can check the threads around here for more details after that first season, but the above is what I typically do.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Alloutwar wrote:
5) once the coach comes, practice a lot. Buy the Recovery Necklace as soon as you can from Bison, to get vitality back every week. Save every week, and then try to practice; if you get injured, save/reload. With enough practice, you'll make it on the team the first season and be destined for stardom.

By save/reload you mean just plain Quit and enter Success mode again? If he saves and reloads he'll be at the same place he just was :)

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:30 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

DarkShade wrote:
Alloutwar wrote:

By save/reload you mean just plain Quit and enter Success mode again? If he saves and reloads he'll be at the same place he just was :)

:lol:
Yeah, that would suck. Hopefully he understands the save/reload strategy but I'll assume he's new to all this and go ahead and explain it. Basically, this strategy is used when you want to build a great success player. Good players can be made playing through normally, but the best players require the save/reload strategy. You start off by saving your game before you take any type of chances. To be more precise, you save before practicing (to avoid injury), before gambling (to avoid failing), before random events (to avoid unfavorable results), etc.

Here's an example: Let's say you want to boost your bookworm level as much as you can when you study. The most bookworm exp that can be gained from a single turn when studying are the turns when you're asked a question and you give the correct answer. Receiving these questions is random, so many times you won't get the opportunity. If you save, study, and don't get a question you simply quit your game, reload, and study again.

This is one example of many but hopefully I explained it well enough. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
If you want a fast start, do this exactly.
Study first four times and get questions on 3 of them(4 would be better).
You should save and reload until you get the Annie random event on the 4th week of December when you strength train. After that, you recover vitality from the go visit parents event which you use to strength train again. At this point, you can use a powerin, rest, or Annie's problems. Resting and doing her problems when you have the graduate's charm and recovery necklace from Bison's shop will get you to level 2 bookworm after you do both of them. Doing them now will give you a small chance of getting a vitality recovering random event, but you might have to get an increase in bookworm from a random event to prevent having to spend an extra turn on it. Make sure to use a yes card when asked to join pi pi pi which gives you bookworm level and the Sarah storyline. Don't work and just strength train and rest for points until you can buy stuff from Bison's shop.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:09 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
The-F's strategy is more or less the standard for save/reload exploiters... The key is to maximize experience gain (strength, quickness, breaking ball, etc) to purchase above average levels in abilities (and leave room for gaining those rarer blue abilities).

If you're going for a more "classic" approach, just follow the strategy looser.

I'm personally not a slugger type of guy, I typically pick up average power guys from the forums here to fill my 4-5-6 spots. I think I've hit maybe 3-4 HRs in 12 fielder creations, but I've managed to obtain hotspots by getting well placed doubles and timely hits.

Also, learn to know what fate-card decisions lead to. Work generally desires a Challenge Card (you do want to make money right?) Anything that is possibly shady can be given to Marvin (e.g. insurance salesman - unless you want it, then go for the gusto and challenge him twice)

Third, if you are going "classic", you'll need to be spending money on objects to improve your performance. Buying supplements and necklaces (and the pillow) will get you rested quickly. Buy gambling tickets to purchase blue abilities that would otherwise be impossible to obtain conventionally.

I started off the same way, I lost my first 6 run-thrus. Eventually, the experience paid off and I started making good decisions, practicing well, and making it into the majors and even the Superstar game (which I promptly lost).

Have faith, it'll come.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.