All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:30 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Don't misunderstand. not s/l is a personal preference. I don't mean to preach. That's just the way I prefer to play. I make random guys but if I were making Hall of Famers, that would be the best method of making them accurate.

Post subject: Re: Expensive point abilities- Gamble Early or Late?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:57 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Success mode is set up just about perfect I think. If you want a superstar you have to learn the game well and sacrifice time. It's hard to reload because otherwise everyone would do it (trust me if it only took a second, you would do it too) and everyone would have all A players and it would be no fun to share and compare with others.

I'm glad though that there are people who like making average players because for the most part, those are the ones in highest demand. I only want one superstar, and the rest, just a bunch of role players.

It is very beneficial for everyone here that we all play the game a little differently. That is the quickest way to learn about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:21 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
MrWelz wrote:
Success mode is set up just about perfect I think. If you want a superstar you have to learn the game well and sacrifice time. It's hard to reload because otherwise everyone would do it (trust me if it only took a second, you would do it too) and everyone would have all A players and it would be no fun to share and compare with others.

I'm glad though that there are people who like making average players because for the most part, those are the ones in highest demand. I only want one superstar, and the rest, just a bunch of role players.

It is very beneficial for everyone here that we all play the game a little differently. That is the quickest way to learn about it.

It is very useful to have people that do s/l because you all learn info that helps me when I run through success mode. Because of all of you, I can make all B stat players in my sleep. Never gotten more than two A stats without s/l. You're right MrWelz, the fact that it's so time consuming is the main reason I don't do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:44 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
It is hard to keep Success players in season mode when player improvement is on. My Success guys were c to B players, but by the time year 6 came about, each one had maxed out stats, learned a half dozen new abilities, and had a salary of between 15K and 25k. My payroll got up to almost 200k by year ten because the Success guys were so expensive. I had to rest half my team for the last 3 years so that their salary demands didn't get even more insane. I had a few guys at 20k average and then a bunch of guys making 400 just to fill out the roster.

I like to make realistic type players that I can develop and bring along. Most them come into Season mode as starting caliber players that are worth about 1200. That is a good price for a young starting player.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:16 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I'm pretty sure that if we made our Success players age 28 or above, instead of 19, they wouldn't improve as quickly, if at all.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
From what i have heard, in the Japanese versions, you are forced to save at certain points, making the S/L tactics not possible on these versions.

Some of the older japanese versions of this game have also been notorious for having your character die off in random events like a car crash.

There is no doubt saving / loading is an exploit, but you can achieve most of these inflated stats by just editing an existing character. I've also heard of other external software game cheats used in some of the previous japanese versions as a way to inflate success mode characters.

The nicest thing you can do with success mode is tailor characters to be "bargains" for your season teams: ie keeping certain stats low or going after certain negative abilities.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:57 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
I wonder if you could somehow get a negative pitching ability for a fielder and lower their salary?

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:39 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Bad stealing ability seems like a good thing to have on a budget power hitter, or any player that doesn't need base running.

A permanent DH player could have all the negative fielding abilities.

Fat pitch might be ok on a budget pitcher with more control.

No idea how much these actually take from the salary. Would be cool if someone made a super low budget custom arrange team.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 am 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
rsoohoo wrote:
Bad stealing ability seems like a good thing to have on a budget power hitter, or any player that doesn't need base running.

A permanent DH player could have all the negative fielding abilities.

Fat pitch might be ok on a budget pitcher with more control.

No idea how much these actually take from the salary. Would be cool if someone made a super low budget custom arrange team.

The DH I have on my arrange team was a classic example of this. He has 220+ power, 15 con, 4 trj, and the usual assortment of power hitter, slugger, ect. He has hardly any fielding skills at all and is slow. After ten years of him hitting an average of .320- 50- 190 his salary never got above 7000 for any one season, and would even go down at times.