It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which stats to pick?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '07: Sony PS2
I've gotten the leadoff spot once, but my run speed was like an E. I just had an A in contact, and only like F power, because I didn't get to training that yet. Also, Good Pace does just what it says. It makes the AI take less time between pitches, which keeps the batter off balance so he can't compose himself and relax.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
J-Gao wrote:
Dice-K is also agonizingly slow. Isn't there a time-limit for between pitches. It must be like the 5-second (or something) rule in basketball for holding onto the ball - but you barely ever see it enforced.

There is - but it's also almost never enforced. If the pitcher doesn't throw the ball in 20 seconds, the ump may add a ball to the count. It's very obscure though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
If we're going to be technical, the rule 8.04 states that the time is TWELVE seconds:

Quote:
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

And the 5-second closely Guarded Rule is only in the NCAA. There is no such rule in the NBA, where a guard (typically) may dribble/hold the ball while guarded beyond the free throw line for as long as he wants (shot clock permitting) as long as he does not violate this rule:

The 5 second rule for the NBA. Rule 10, Section XVI
Quote:
-Five-Second Back-to-the-Basket Violation
An offensive player in his frontcourt below the free throw line extended shall not be permitted to dribble with his back or side to the basket for more than five seconds.
The count ends when (1) the player picks up the ball, (2) dribbles above the free throw line extended or (3) a defensive player deflects the ball away.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team out-of-bounds on the nearest sideline at the free throw line extended.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:02 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
That's amazing to me! I had no, and I mean no earthly idea that there were rules like that.