Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abilities vs stats
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey guys, in general when you get a random event where u have the possibility of getting an ability or the chance to get say strength points, which way would you go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Pirates
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
It depends. If you are a gambler, I'd go with the strength points, becuase you always can gamble for the abilities. However, if you don't like to gamble, take the ability, because it takes many more points to obtain rather than strength points. It also depends on if you really need that ability or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

thanks..yeah im a gambler and i see your point about needing the ability or not...just curious what ppl's perspective on it was

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Perhaps I am understanding this the wrong way, but you only usually get a handful (less than 10) points during some RE. So would I really much rather have the ability, one because they are much more expensive and two I think they have more impact on the game than basic stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:03 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
abilities impact the game mostly during simulation. If you plan on playing it out (or stopping to play your guy every game at each PA), then stats will def be better (and possibly patient hitter to keep the circle from shrinking a LOT on a 2 strike count).

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
well a few of the abilities do affect in manual play.

For example, firstball hitter gives a much larger sweet spot, and gyroball makes the fastball move differently, as does fastball life.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:16 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Always take the ability as long as its something you were planning on getting. This saves you the trouble of gambling for it. Now if you're talking about choosing between an ability and specifically just str pts and no other pts, I don't know why you would take the pts instead of the ability unless the ability is something you're trying to avoid (obviously the neg abilities, and for some players Pull Hitter, Pokerface, etc.). Receiving just one category of points doesn't allow you to gamble (with the exception of str pts for stamina and power), so you would need to practice again or get another RE to get more pts so you can gamble. Obviously, you never want to use two turns to get an ability when you can use one. If you aren't really interested in the ability I could see where a RE that gives multiple pt categories would be preferred, since you can then pick the ability you want to gamble on. Something to remember though about these multiple pt category REs is that the increase in pts is usually miniscule; meaning your success rate for gambling will be small as well. In short, you need to take your situation into consideration, but almost always take the ability.

Post subject: Re: Abilities vs stats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:15 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
cam86lew wrote:
Hey guys, in general when you get a random event where u have the possibility of getting an ability or the chance to get say strength points, which way would you go?

It depends. If the spare strength points gives you an opportunity to gamble on a gamble stat (15 scale ability for fielders, velocity/movement for pitchers) you go with the ability. But if you're a gambler, you should be training and gambling for at least one stat on every turn, so this circumstance is unlikely. The only situation I can think of is covering up for after a job/date after which you already have some leftover tech or speed points. Taking the +3 strength points to gamble on +1 power/+1 stamina isn't much of a gain.

On the other hand if you gamble for an ability, you spend one turn for acquiring it. If you get it through a RE, you get the ability and you'll be still be able to gamble for something else on the same turn. So ideally, you should be getting all your abilities through RE and equipment, which will enable you to spend more turns gambling on stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Abilities by far. Obviously only if they're good. Even if it's not the most desirable (something like tough runner), it's more valuable than 10 strength points that will boost your power/stamina up one insignificant point.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks everyone...I was just tryin to spark discussion as sometimes the chance for something like an increase in clutch may be less desirable than str/tech/men points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

oh, that last post sparked something else in my mind. If the stat boost is one for all categories, and you have gambling ring/ticket, the boost may be best (ones from pitching tests, hitting tests, etc.). If you have the patience to gamble, it may be better as you can ensure you get the ability you want.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679