Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 am 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I am about to make a middle reliever here soon and will use this method. Will post the results when I am done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:25 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Odawali
I'm getting ready to dive into making my 1st pitcher and since this is your baby I have a few questions for you. First off, when practicing week after week I know that pts received from practice go up as long as you keep the chain going. Could you give more detail on this? Do you know exactly how much the pts increase? I'm a hyper-recovery guy and I've never done this. I'm assuming there's no room for hyp-rec or you would break the chain, correct? My next concern is pitch selection. There are so many pitches to choose from and I'm not that experienced with all of them. Any recommendations on what you feel are the best ones? I know that most of the consensus seems to be vertical breaks over horizontal. And on top of that question, when making a custom pitch, have you noticed whether any of the choices your Dad gives you are duds? (Meaning that the effect it has on your pitch is insignificant)
I should probably try pitching a little more to get a better idea but I rolled another "genius" and I'm itching to dive in. He's got stats identical to your roll but his pitches are 2 SLD and 1SNK.

Thanks for all your hardwork and info. (That cheat sheet is nice; I'm gonna be using that a lot right now)

While this message is directed to odawali, any opinions or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:22 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I think if you don't practice another type of practice such as strength training the chain goes on, but the points you get aren't worth stopping to rest. There are two ways that are best IMO. The first is have one pitch that goes in every direction. The second is to have maxed out 2SFB, splitter, knuckler, slurve, any curveball. There are less abilities when making a pitcher compared to fielders that can be bought. I'm really jealous of your genius right now because I'm having a hard time getting a pitcher with good sense.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Wow another Genius?! The MLBPP Mensa club is growing fast :)

mrsims31 wrote:
when practicing week after week I know that pts received from practice go up as long as you keep the chain going. Could you give more detail on this? Do you know exactly how much the pts increase?

I think every turn the tech point gain goes up 1 point. If I remember correctly the max tech points you can get from Shadow Pitching are around 33. That's with a Champion Ring, both Focus Stones and Chocolate Sponge Cake. With Good Sense the tech cost for velocity catches up at 95 or 96mph.

mrsims31 wrote:
I'm assuming there's no room for hyp-rec or you would break the chain, correct?

Right, but if you start out with an empty bar it's not that bad. Shadow Pitching is classified as a technique practice so it takes a lot of turns to fill up that meter, and you probably have to log a couple of more turns after the bar reaches the right end for a +99 h-rec anyway.

You'll end up only over-training for a couple of turns and will have plenty of time left after the Shadow Pitching Run for strength training. Ultimately the way I see it is it's more efficient to get your "stuff" upgrades over quickly than to squeeze some extra 10-30 strength points out of the h-rec bar by timely resting.

When you're ready to switch to strength training, just make sure to have Throwing available (via training equipment upgrade) because that gives you a good balance of strength and tech points. That way you get to boost both stamina, control and gamble for additional velocity on every turn.

mrsims31 wrote:
There are so many pitches to choose from and I'm not that experienced with all of them. Any recommendations on what you feel are the best ones? I know that most of the consensus seems to be vertical breaks over horizontal.

Well the vertical thing applies mostly to success mode games played with goggles. Because the goggles only tell you whether a hitter is guessing fastball or breaking ball (and not what type of breaking ball), you're better off with a vertical pitch to contrast the four seamer. That way, there's no way a hitter can sit on one and still make contact when he guesses wrong. With a horizontal pitch, he can swing thinking it's a fastball and still make contact especially if the break is short. That's the theory. It doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't get horizontal pitches, just that you should avoid having a short horizontal pitch heading into tournament season.

That said since you already have a 2SLD there isn't much you can do (like I had the 1SFB on my genius I guess) except develop it in time for your second year tournament games. if you begin the Shadow Pitching Run in February or March of Year 2, you have enough turns for +12 or so movement upgrades so the SLD should be a non-issue by the World Gatherings game.

As for my favorite vertical pitch I'd go with the knuckler. Palm and circle-change are a distant second, and I also think the vertical slider has a neat break though not as practical in Success Mode. I recommend planning out your pitcher in player edit mode beforehand to decide exactly what pitches to develop and to what level. You could even test him out in practice mode. Then count backwards from the Super Star Game to determine exactly how long you need to sustain the Shadow Pitching Run.

Unfortunately I can't help you on Dad's training as I have yet to get that working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I got a guy with pr sense and good starting stats (closer), should I re-roll for normal, or is this better than average?

Is it possible to get poor sense and bad stats, what tag would that be - stupid?

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I appreciate the quick response guys.

I actually thought about the whole edit/practice idea after I typed my post so I beefed up someone to max stats (cause thats what I'm going for :D ) and had at it. Its killing me putting it off but I know its for the best. This is my first pitcher so I need to make sure I do my HW so I don't screw him up.

I'm not really sure what the probability of landing one these guys is, but I rolled about 40-50 times before he fell into my lap. I know some people think that's crazy but hey, I've got two geniuses and I'm having fun. I'll post him up when I'm done but my time restraints will probably put him at a month away (I'm a strict save/reload gambling fool).

Thanks again, you guys rock... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

J-Gao wrote:
I got a guy with pr sense and good starting stats (closer), should I re-roll for normal, or is this better than average?

Is it possible to get poor sense and bad stats, what tag would that be - stupid?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume your asking me since I'm the only one who would tell you to keep him. :)

I don't know J... You know what my stance on Pr Sense/Gd Stats has been, but here lately these guys bring up good points, I guess I just didn't notice the negatives when I ran through Success with Ultimate. I still think you can make a good player with what you rolled, but these guys are going to tell you what they told me; that you can have someone better with Gd Sense/Nrml Stats and I think you should listen to them. I've made 2 success players.... just 2, so I don't have much of a soapbox to stand on about this. These guys have made countless success players; I have to concede that they know what they're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

yeah, I messed up my gambling (failed and saved by accident).

so I did end up re-rolling and got gd sense with regular stats.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

J-Gao wrote:
yeah, I messed up my gambling (failed and saved by accident).

so I did end up re-rolling and got gd sense with regular stats.

That sucks, but at least it worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

This good sense thing isn't all that hot either. I've got G control already in January of the 2nd year. I didn't have a card to refuse Willy's bat, so I used him in the first season game. Now, I wasn't offered the captain position, and couldn't play the exhibition game. But I had a ton of Challenge cards in the beginning and now have a 200+ salary from the pizza place.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

J-Gao wrote:
This good sense thing isn't all that hot either. I've got G control already in January of the 2nd year.

But that's before you even started upgrading control right? It'll save you a lot of tech and mentality points when you do. JC Denton's had an F(103) control in Jan Year 2, but look where he ended up.

Last edited by odawali on Wed May 07, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

good point.

I think you JCDenton log really helped. Especially in terms of jobs. I didn't realize that you could challenge so much to get high raise or that challenges were so important.

I now have the wordly ability and usually stock 2-3 challenge cards. As mentioned before, though, it does have some drawbacks.

Did get the gambling ring from Annie's bag tonight, so I'm on the way up. How many dates will it take to get the Intimidator ability?

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

J-Gao wrote:
Did get the gambling ring from Annie's bag tonight, so I'm on the way up. How many dates will it take to get the Intimidator ability?

A lot, if you date Annie for the first Xmas instead of Becky as discussed here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Can this be done with a normal/no-item player or does a focus stone and good sense need to be there?

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

You could, but I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

The beef of this strategy is to sustain the Run for as long as possible in order to boost the pitcher's "stuff". Anything that hampers that, such as increased tech costs for a velocity upgrade (ie Normal or Poor Sense), or tech point gain from shadow pitching capping out earlier (ie no Focus Stones or Champion Ring), is obviously not good.

Instead of gaining +15mph and +15 movement on pitches after the Run, you'll probably have to cut the Run short with only a +10 or +12ish gain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next