Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for specific discussion about American Football, or other close cousins such as the CFL. It includes all age groups, from junior-high to the NFL. This includes fantasy sports.
-->

Post subject: 2016-17 Playoffs Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:09 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Some great games and some less great games. Here's my take on the Giants @ Packers matchup:

Winner of this game could very well go to the Super Bowl.

I think it's going to be a great game. It's very hard to pick against a burning hot Aaron Rodgers at home. The Giants have done it before... very different teams, of course, but this Giants team is better than the 2011/12 one—if good, playoff Eli shows up.

Giants defense/special teams is the key unit here. If they can do the gargantuan job of keeping Rodgers in check, you have to like the Giants odds to spring Beckham (or Sheppard, but let's be real, Beckham) against Green Bay's decimated secondary. Landon Collins needs to step up big time, and the pass rush has to get there. That's easier said than done, especially since Green Bay's line easily won the battle in Week 5, but there's no Eddie Lacy back there this time; while Ty Montgomery has done a great job, the Giants defense is stouter now against the run than it was back in Week 5 (even with JPP out). I think Montgomery could break one or two big ones, but he'll be best catching passes out of the backfield. Giants need to tighten up against WR screens (been burned by speedsters numerous times this year off simple WR screens). Jared Cook should also have a big game.

On the other side of the ball, the fewer penalties the better for the Giants line. Ereck Flowers needs to have a heck of a game. He'll probably get toasted for a sack/strip at least once. A run game like week 17's would be such a boost... I like Perkins in this game, a lot. Would be nice to have Vereen catching check-downs (I didn't watch the Pack enough to know their blitz tendencies, but I think more is actually better for the Giants since their pass blocking hasn't been bad at all and check-downs suit Eli best). John Jerry run blocking is still only a dream. Beckham should break one, but the Pack would be wise to double him every single team (as the Eagles did in week 16 with success). Eli to the tight ends should be effective.

Lots of variables. The Giants' offseason spending spree has been one of the most effective in recent memory, but it is damn hard to go against the great Aaron Rodgers, 6-game win streak or not.

Post subject: Re: 2016-17 Playoffs Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Aaron Rodgers runs 1000 yards and throws 2000 yards. Obviously. He's the GOAT and will throw a Hail Mary and win the ballgame and beat the Lions and the Giants at the same time.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

Post subject: Re: 2016-17 Playoffs Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
cowboys winning it all

NAPOLI FOR MVP