Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken MLB Life mode for pitchers. PLEASE read whole post.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I really would like to know if anyone is having the same problem as me because it drives me crazy. I made a good Starting pitcher in Success Mode (A 180 Stamina, C 150 Control, 85 MPH Top Speed, 3 Curveball, 2 Circle Change, 2 Knuckleball, 4 VS LH Batter, 4 Poise, 4 Fastball Life, Gd Low Pitch, Dr. K, Durability 4, Consistency 4, Gd Pace.) And decided to put him into MLB Life Mode (which is what I was most excited about in this game.)

So during the initial Exhibition games when you first start out, I was pitching scoreless 7-9th innings with 1-3 K's per outing. I had a yellow smiley motivation with an arrow pointing up to the right of it. So I made the Big Leagues.

I made the team as a #5 starter and for my first 5 starts my motivation as good, going all the way up to the top level motivation in my 3rd or 4th start, pitching complete game shut outs with 4-5 K's per game. Here's where the problem comes in. After that 3rd or 4th start, I was at the top motivation level (Huge acid tripping smiley face) but it had an arrow pointing down. I thought I had a bad outting or something, but no I had a complete game shut-out again. I thought "Oh well, maybe it's just rookie inconsistency or something worked into the game...cool, that makes it more real." However, I just completed an entire rage-enducing season where I was forced to go through 5 or 6 bad starts after every 5 or 6 good starts.

I'm now in season two in the big leagues and I'm going through the same motivation cycles. And I would have no problem if you could still pitch well while in poor motivation, but you can't. Before I even pitch the ball the batter is lined up EXACTLY where the pitch is going to be (for breaking balls.) I think it is ridiculous that you can never have a great season because you are forced to have impossible motivation swings. I am now 185 Stamina, 155 Control, 87 Top speed, with 4 CB, 3 Change, 3 Knuckler and I still am forced to go through these swings.

I am in expert mode because I thought I'd do as well as I did in last year's version of MLBPP, but little did I know that you are set-up to fail. Someone please tell me there is a way to increase your motivation because I am tired of pitching complete game shut-outs but still having my motivation drop and being able to predict when the opponent is going to crush my pitches. I shouldn't be able to say "welp, here you go Jorge Cantu, you're due for a homerun I guess."

Please help folks.

Post subject: Re: Broken MLB Life mode for pitchers. PLEASE read whole post.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:44 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I haven't tried it as a pitcher, but I'm experiencing the same thing as a fielder. I can't figure out any way to influence motivation one way or the other, it just seems to be on this self-timed roller coaster that goes from purple to pink and back again regardless of how you're actually performing. And I've had situations where my motivation is pointing down and I'd have 2-3 games in a row where I played great and got compliments from the coach afterwards, and my motivation would still go down. And I've had the opposite, where I've taken a few 0-fers in a row and "choked in the clutch" (scolded by the manager after the game), and had my motivation still going up.

So yeah, it appears broken.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:00 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Umm, the reason it's pointing down is because there's nowhere to go but down. There are no higher levels of motivation so it's not possible to have the motivaton keep going up. Yes, I understand that you don't think your motivation should be going down, but I guess that's just how it'll be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:53 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Actually what I mean (and I think what he means) is that there doesn't seem to be a way to affect motivation in either direction. For example, say my motivation is in the middle-of-the-road yellow and pointing down. I then have a 3 game series where I go 9-14 with 7 RBI, including two game winning hits, and the team sweeps a division rival in the process. I get two post-game interviews with Mia and the manager raves about my play after each game (increasing trust each time). You'd think motivation would start improving right? But then you go on to the next series and motivation is now in the blue and still pointing down. Then despite the crappy motivation, you manage to have another great series against another division rival, and you get the Player of the Week award for your league. Surely motivation would start improving, right? But no, it is still pointing down and a few days later you've bottomed out in the purple, where you hang out for a week before climbing back to the blue and having it progress up the scale again.

And it works in the opposite direction too, I've had a few bad games in a row while motivation was going up, and it still continues to go up anyway. It just seems like the developers chose to "simulate" the ups and downs of a season by fixing the motivation to a timeline rather than having it more dynamic based on events and performances in the season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

exactly. And also, if I'm at the top of my game or even in the red motivation, and I pitch well, why shouldn't it stay the same?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
Ace
Ace

Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Oh I see what you guys mean.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:09 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Braves
I'm pretty sure they set it to do a cycle of Motivation. It wouldnt be any challenge if you stayed perfect motivation all the time because of all of your good starts now would it?
I used to wonder the same thing, but then i got used to it, you can still have a decent start, just dont expect a complete game shut out every time you pitch.

Im sure if you time how many days/weeks it stays in each motivation, im pretty sure it'd be consistent when it goes up or down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The motivation is set to cycle intentionally and I think it makes the game interesting personally.
The problem is that they force you to use the CPU fielders, and you can't bat. I average less than one run of support per game, you have to win to gain much trust, and these CPU fielders are just goddamn atrocious. It is the most awful shit I have ever seen. They have no idea how to turn a double play, they have half as much range as a human, and they make the worst throwing decisions I have ever seen. Over half the runs I have given up have been due to the CPU infield inexplicably throwing to the wrong base, not turning double plays (hint, if it is hit next to the bag you have to step on the bag and throw yourself to get the dp as throwing takes too long.) It seriously makes my life broken and unplayable as a pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:11 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I hate that the motivation does this, but there MUST be a way to influence it one way or the other. I know one way is when you practice, and you actually have a choice on what you want to practice, but you only get to do that during spring training, and I think the playoffs.

Go check out my Royals season mode log!

Return to Royalty | Kansas City Royals

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:18 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
The motivation is on a cycle but I think there are certain things you can do to speed it up or slow it down. I'm not sure what they are but I think there is a hobby that has the same effect as the "increase/maintain motivation" practice option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Red Sox
I have a major problem using a created pitcher in MLB Life. I get absolutely NO run support. Ever. Seriously, I'll leave the game with my team going scoreless thru 5,6,7, even 8 innings. And this happens 5-6 games in a row (then, if I'm lucky, I'll *maybe* get 1 run on the next start). Gah.

I finished the season with the lowest ERA in the AL, which was pretty cool. But I only won 8 games, and 7 of them came when I decided to sim half the season away. When I pitch with him, I get nothing. No matter how well I do, it's frustrating knowing that the best thing that will ever happen is a no decision.

I still love the game, but that almost ruins MLB life for me, b/c I prefer to play as a pitcher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 am 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I'm having a somewhat difficult time striking CPU hitters out, on Normal and Expert mode. I can get them to 0-2 almost immediately but it seems they always hit the next pitch if it's in the strike zone, even if I mix up the pitches a lot. Generally the game goes strike strike popup, or strike strike groundball. It's kind of annoying

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Don't know what you guys are talking about... I seem to strike guys out just fine.

I suppose it's because I also tend to give up flyballs, so they're swinging for the fences...

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.