Post subject: Yoshi Floriano - Pitcher - Rays - A MyLife Log
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
I'm going to follow the trend and try to start my own MyLife Log about a pitcher named Yoshi Floriano. Enjoy.

As an 18-year old coming out of High School, Yoshi Floriano was one of the best pitchers in the country, and got drafted by the Rays first overall in the 2007 draft. Now signed for $390,000, he looks to continue the dominance that he had in High School in the Majors.

STATS:
Top Speed: 85 MPH
Control: E 115
Stamina: C 105

Level 1 Slow Curve
Level 1 Changeup
Level 2 Hard Sinker

Shuuto Spin

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

Post subject: Re: Yoshi Floriano - Pitcher - Rays - A MyLife Log
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:44 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Journal Entry #1: Monday, February 18th, 2008

Man, I had a great time working out with the team today. I met the manager, who looks like a pretty cool dude. I hope I can get along with him in the future. While I was practicing my Top Speed today, some guy I never met before came up and said hi to me. I can't remember the name...Oakley, was it? Eh, I don't remember. He also said something about a bet that whoever makes the majors out of Spring Training first would have the other buy himself dinner, or something like that. He's also an 18-year old pitcher, like me. I hope we both do well. Oakley also talked to me about a girl named Mia that's going to do an interview for Power Pros Sports, to see how we're going to progress this year. I hope she's the girl of my dreams...

"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Journal Entry #2: February 25th, 2008

Today, before I did practice, the coach pulled me over and talked to me about retired uniform numbers. He said that he is assigning me the jersey number of 89. He hopes that I can have it retired when I'm old and stuff.

After I worked on my pitch speed again, I heard chatters coming from outside, so I went and found out that Power Pros Sports were here. Oakley was right! Mia apparently wanted to talk to me first, even though Oakley was trying to be the ladies man of the area. She talked to me about if I was going to be the batting champion. BATTING CHAMPION? You've gotta be serious! This is the American League, for Pete's sake! But I have to give her one thing: She was a total hottie. :drool:

After everybody was done practicing, the coach pulled all of us over for a team meeting. He talked about how the exhibition games were starting next week, and that he'll be looking to see how we do before deciding on the final 25-man roster for Opening Day. I just hope I'm one of them!

After that, the coach pulled me over, again, and talked about how major league practices can be tough at first, and that I'll get used to it. He also talked to me about how it would be difficult for a rookie like me to break through to the majors with a team that he says is "fully stocked".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:45 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

So how am I doing so far? I already got another journal entry ready, and it's a long one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '08: Sony PS2
Pretty good so far. I just realized that my game got gliched with my log player Stewart. He's a pitcher and Mia gave the mistake as if I was a fielder.

Also, what happens if you say no to the interview?

"You know the key to running a convicing bluff? Its, every once in a while, you've got to be holding all the cards."
-Ian, to Ben, in National Treasure

"Not all leader are elected, Finn. Some just rise to the occassion."
-Wayne, to Finn, in the book Kingdom Keepers II by Ridley Pearson

LET'S GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:00 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't remember, but here's the next part:

Journal Entry #3: Spring Training

In the first Spring game against the Cardinals, it was a very sunny day, some clouds were in the sky, but it didn’t bring any rain! :) I went in in the top of the 7th, with a runner on 1st and 1 out. My first batter was Cesar Izturis, and I struck him out with my Changeup. And then came my first confrontation with Albert Pujols, and somehow I struck him out on 3 straight pitches also! 6 pitches, 6 strikes! I couldn’t believe it. When I faced off with Chris Duncan, he flew a soft liner over Iwamura’s head for a base hit. Darn it. I then proceeded to strike out the side. I ended up pitching the 9th, and Brian Barton almost scored off of me, but I held my own, and retired the batters in order. Too bad we lost, though, 5-1. My final line: 2.2 IP, 0 ER, 6 Ks, though I was a little wild. I threw some mistake pitches and one wild pitch. That night, I decided to take Oakley out to dinner. I paid $300. 300 DOLLARS! Geez, I guess I shouldn’t have let Oakley have all-you-can-eat fall-off-the-bone ribs all evening. Those things cost, like, 10 bucks a pop!

Before the second game against the Phillies, the Coach pulled me over, and talked to me about making donations. I chose to do $2000 a win, since I might be going into the rotation when I get called up or go to the majors. I went in the 6th with 0 outs and a runner on first, down 1-0. I got my first batter, Burrell, to pop straight up, then I struck out Geoff Jenkins and Pedro Feliz to end the inning. In the 8th, though, I gave up a gopher ball to Shane Victorino on a hanging changeup. Well, there goes my chance of making the majors out of Spring Training… :( After that, I was giving up hits left and right, and Al Reyes had to come in, and proceeded to clean up the game for me, and we lose 2-0. After the game, the coach told me I was going to be in AAA at the beginning of the season.

Before the third game, which I wasn’t in, Troy Percival saw the newspaper and said that somebody was giving away $20k per win. Now that couldn’t have been me! I only have $30k in my pocket right now! It could be C.C. or Hudson, but then the Coach apologized for putting an extra zero on the donation form. What a doofus. So now I’m giving away $20k a win this season. That’s if I ever make the big leagues…

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
LightningMan117 wrote:

You get interviewed.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Braves
cooldude1045 wrote:
LightningMan117 wrote:

You get interviewed.

That's Power Pro logic for ya.

Power Pro Logic: We're almost as bad as Nintendo

"You know the key to running a convicing bluff? Its, every once in a while, you've got to be holding all the cards."
-Ian, to Ben, in National Treasure

"Not all leader are elected, Finn. Some just rise to the occassion."
-Wayne, to Finn, in the book Kingdom Keepers II by Ridley Pearson

LET'S GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:07 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jorunal Entry #4, Late March/April 2008

Starting out the year in AAA might be pretty good. That way, I have to earn my way into the Majors. Before my first game, I worked on my Slow Curveball and got it to a level 2! Yay!

On the 31st, I started my first game against the AAA team of the Orioles, who the major league club plays against today. I looked on our AAA roster, and Oakley was on it! It looks like like we have to duke it out in AAA to see who’s the best.

I gave up an early run in the 1st inning to the #5 batter, but that was all I gave up in the game after that, going 7.1 Innings, giving up 1 run, striking out 2, and getting the loss, as the team lost 1-0. Our offense sucks, and I wish we had a power hitter down here. The big league club lost, too, 5-4. Record in AAA: 0-1 with a 1.23 ERA.

2 days before I was scheduled to pitch, I called up Oakley and wondered if he wanted to go see the movie “Leatherheads”. He accepted, and let me tell you, this guy insists on letting me pay for the lifetime amount of popcorn he won being the 1 millionth guest to see a movie. 200 freakin’ dollars…geez.

Today, I start against the Yankees AAA team. The big league club currently is struggling, being swept by Baltimore, knocking us into a tie for last place with the Blue Jays. In the 2nd, I give up a 2-run HR to their 3B McDaniel, and in the 4th, I give up an RBI single to him. I am out after 4.1 innings, giving up 4 runs, and striking out 2, giving the AAA team the loss 5-0, but the big league club got the win 10-8. Record in AAA: 0-2 with a 3.86 ERA.

Before my first home AAA start, I learned how to play some golf, buying some steel clubs and playing a round. I invited Oakley to come, but he wasn’t up for it. He had other stuff to do, like eating his lifetime supply of popcorn before his lifetime is over. But where does he keep it all?

I go the distance in my next start, getting a ND, and the game ended in a tie. My ERA dropped to around 2.18. After the game, the CF Gabe Gross asked me out for dinner. I accepted, and we became friends after that night. The big league club is currently at a 14-14 record, 4.5 games back of the first place Yankees.
At the end of April, I’m still in AAA with an 0-4 record and a 3.08 ERA and 29 Ks. Will I ever make the majors?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:21 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
LightningMan117 wrote:
cooldude1045 wrote:
LightningMan117 wrote:

You get interviewed.

That's Power Pro logic for ya.

Power Pro Logic: We're almost as bad as Nintendo

Mia is supposed to be a goofball, and it's glitched with what Oakley says...Like if your a pitcher he'll still say, "If he got the most wins as a fielder, everyone would be talking about that forever...The interview just happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Journal Entry #5: May 2008

The big league club started out strong with 2 straight wins over Boston and Baltimore, inching us closer to the division crown. As for me, though, I’m still stuck in the minors…

On my first start, I’m still looking for my first win, having an 0-4 record. I’m still not getting any run support from my scrub teammates. Some AAA, huh? I finally get some run support in the 7th with a HR from the DH, Brownlie, his 3rd of the year. If only that could happen to me more. I give it right back up, though, with a HR from the LF Maxwell, his 7th of the year. After giving up another run, I’m pulled after 6.1 innings, but getting a ND because, thankfully, the team finally learned to hit, and won 4-3.

At the date of my next start against Toronto, the big league club is 3.5 games behind the first-place Yankees, and in a pivotal series with the 2nd place Blue Jays. This is gonna be a good season for us, no doubt. Hopefully I can be a part of that. In the first inning, I get early run support, which is a big fat plus! It was the RF Palmer’s first HR of the year that helped out my cause! In the 2nd, I give up a HR to the CF Campbell, which I didn’t like, but I was still determined to get the win. I kept focusing on throwing my Slow Curve in the game a lot, and it helped me get a TON of groundballs, but sadly, one bad throw with it cost me the game, and I went to 0-5. I need to figure out a way to win…and fast.

My next start was against the Angels AAA, and they are a TOUGH bunch. They have Juan Rivera and Kendry Morales in their lineup? They must be having REALLY bad seasons. I pitch well, only giving up a HR to the 3B Knox, but ended up getting yet another ND, 2-2.

And now I face the Yankees again. The big club has creeped to within a game of them now, and I’m happy and sad at the same time. I either need to work on my breaking balls, or improve my confidence. Their pitching staff is uber-crazy now. They have Chien-Ming Wang, LaTroy Hawkins, and Joba Chamberlain. This is a MAJOR LEAGUE bullpen, but I hope our offense can handle it, and they do, and I pitch awesomely, going the distance, giving up no runs, getting my first win, and striking out 4. The next day, I invite Gabe Gross over for a game of Chess. He accepted, and I lost. He’s pretty good.

At the end of the month, I end up with a 2-6 record, a 3.10 ERA, 47 Ks, and more hope of making the big league club, who are now in last, 11 games out. No playoffs for us, but maybe a spot in the majors for me…

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Journal Entry #6: June 1-June 13, 2008

The month started out with a blockbuster trade pulled off between the Twins and Cubs. The Twins traded Joe Mauer for Carlos Zambrano. Wow. This really is an unrealistic trade!

In my first start of June against the Red Sox, I got a lot of help from my defense, but not the offense, at least not until the 6th, when they gave me a run off of a sacrifice hit by our LF Sherrod. I give that run back in the 2nd half of the 6th, when I give up a floating base hit to their SS. After giving up the go-ahead run, they pull me, and I get the loss, 2-1. I go 5.1 innings, giving up 10 hits, 2 ER, striking out 2, and raising my ERA to 3.12. I fall to 2-7.

Before my next start, I buy a breaking ball guide on how to throw a Slider. I hope to put it to use in future practices. I was absolutely dialed in today, and got 3 runs to work with in the 5th. I should get the win, right? And the answer would be a big fat YES, as I go the distance, getting the win, and the shutout, and increase my record to 3-7.

Honestly, I don’t know why I’m not called up yet. I see a certain SP on their majors roster that’s 0-10… *coughJamesShieldscough* So that’s just kinda stupid on the MLB Manager’s side.

On the 10th was the draft. We got a C, Hamada, and a 2B, Brewer. Brewer’s the better one of the two, having E Contact and D power, to Hamada’s G Contact and F Power. After practice on the 12th, I got a chance to meet up with them. I decided to chat with the catcher, Hamada.

On my next start against Florida, I threw to my new friend Hamada, and he calls a pretty good game, to tell the truth. I continue my dominance and got run support to boot. I go 8.1 giving up 0 ER, striking out 2, and getting my second win in a row. After the game, the AAA manager told me I was going to start in the majors! YES!

Last edited by dishnet34 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Congrats Yoshi!

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Journal Entry #7: June 13-rest of June

I seriously still can’t believe I have finally made it to the big show! When I got called up, Oakley said that I won the bet he made with me in Spring, and gave me a cool $1000. Pretty decent amount.

For the first few days in the bigs, I really didn’t see any action, if at all. I called up the coach to try to convince him to change my role to a starter, but he said I had to “put up the numbers” first. Try putting me in first, then we’ll talk.
After the game on the 17th, which we lost to the Cubs, 7-6, Gabe Gross came to talk to me about an equipment sponsorship with Mizotto. Seems like a pretty cool opportunity.

The next day, the representative from Mizotto arrived at the Trop, and he said his name was John. He looks like a pretty cool dude. I accepted the equipment sponsorship, and went on home.

My first appearance in the bigs was in the 7th inning against the Cubs the very next day, in the middle of a no-hitter. I was so nervous about stepping out there in a crowd that large and pitching well without giving up a hit. The first batter I faced was Mark DeRosa, and on my first pitch in the bigs, he lined out to short. And that gave me all the confidence I needed. I sadly gave up a base hit to Joe Mauer, after Longoria threw wide off the bat of Koskue Fukodome. My final line was 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 R, and no Ks. But my ERA is a cool 0.00!

Before our home series with the Astros, the manager called a team meeting, saying that the owner was coming to watch all 3 games of the series, and if we sweep them, he has a special gift for us. I don’t believe him for a second. We took game 1, 4-1, and afterwards, the manager said that if we lost all 3 games, he wouldn’t have been able to look the owner in the eye.

I looked at the lineup card for game 2, and I couldn’t believe it! I was the starting pitcher for the 2nd game in a big series! I was more nervous than I was before my first appearance. I had runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out in the first, but Evan Longoria bailed me out, starting the inning ending, 5-4-3 DP. My first K in the bigs was of Astros C J.R. Towles. I got some run support in the 4th, with the team putting up a 3 spot in that inning, giving me a cushion to work with. I give up my first dinger to DH Carlos Lee in the 7th, but my pitch count is still low, so I continue on. After I give up back-to-back dingers in the 8th, I start to get tired, and the lead for us decreased to 7-4. Dan Wheeler came in and shut down the game, giving me my first W in the majors. Afterwards, BJ Upton invited me to dinner, and I just had to accept. He is a nice guy.

As June came to a close, we are pretty much out of the playoff race, at a record of 37-46, in last place, and 15 games out of the division-leading Yankees. In my last start of the month, I got a ND going 5 innings, giving up 3 runs, and went 2-2 at the plate.

Last edited by dishnet34 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Great job so far! Keep it up!