Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Posting:

* Individual players should be in their own thread, with the full name of the player and position(s) in the title. Don't add superlatives or any other shout outs to it... we will see your guys...
* If you post a team or a set of players, add players by editing your starting post so they're all in the same post. A bump to announce the edit is appropriate.
* Posting images are fine, provided they are small in dimension and data. 800x600 and ~50Kb should be the biggest you can post inline (using the [IMG] tag), anything larger, post a link or a clickable thumbnail instead.
* If you have wiki rights, add your player(s) and team(s) there as well!
-->

Post subject: Dallas Keuchel - SP - Astros (Wii)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:48 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Will start this guy after I finish Boxberger. I found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
Keuchel throws five pitches: a sinker (88–90), a fastball, a cutter (83–87), a curveball (69–74), and a changeup (73–76). Against right-handed hitters, Keuchel relies most heavily on his sinker and uses the rest of his pitches in roughly equal amounts. Against lefties, he rarely uses the changeup but uses the other four in roughly equal amounts. With the exception of the changeup, his pitches have below-average whiff rates, and his K/9 rate was only 3.9 through his first 702⁄3 innings in 2012. He improved his strikeout rate the following seasons though.

robhallett's version:
Quote:
Top speed 90
control 150
stamina 124

DCB 3
V-slider 2
CCHG 3
2SFB 2

W/RISP 2
Fastball life 2
Gd low pitch
Groundball pitcher
Slow starter
Poise 4

Looks good, maybe top speed could be a bit higher. 92 sounds good? Has below average pitch speed for a major leaguer. Should get Gd Reflexes and some good fielding stats, won gold glove last year. Pitches horribly with runners in scoring position. So W/RISP 2, and maybe choke artist? Definetley not Poise 4. What does everyone else think?

Post subject: Re: Dallas Keuchel - SP - Astros (Wii)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
My thoughts:

Top Speed 93
Control 135-150
Stamina 148-156

2-Seam Fastball 2
Slider 3-4 - Use as primary horizontal pitch
Cutter 2
Changeup 3
Might need other people's input on movement of pitches

Vs Lefty 4 - Works for me, .250 BA against him, righties are at .277
Fastball Life 2 - Yes, his fastball is hit at .337 in his career
Recovery 4 -Yes
Groundball Pitcher - Yes, every year he's had a GB% over 50%
Release 2 - Yes, 17 for 26 on SB attempts against him in his career. I had trouble getting this by "taking a walk" with patty. Up to you if you wanna try to get it
Good Reflexes - Yes
Gold Glover - Yes

Posie 4 - No
Spin 4 - No
Dr. K - No

I'm hesitant to give him W/RISP 2 because he had a pretty good 2014 season. Career BA against W/RISP is at .297

My list of success players

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:18 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

If you can't get Fastball Life 2 and Release 2, then I think just getting W/RISP 2 is a good substitute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

jag123jg wrote:
If you can't get Fastball Life 2 and Release 2, then I think just getting W/RISP 2 is a good substitute
Well, I'll try to get all three of those. W/RISP 2 is easy to get, from Sittch, but others will be a challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
FB/SL/CUT/CH according to fangraphs
89 MPH fastball avg, seems like 90 top spd?
Might have a SNK considering he's a groundballer (best GB% in bigs)
"Sick tilt" on slider
81% GB/BIP, ahead of Masterson for 1st
Comp to Wade Miley
Rarely elevates pitches
Righties bat .208 vs his changeup
In general: excellent sinker/slider combination with a solid changeup

Quote:
This year, Keuchel is throwing his changeup more often than in 2013, and it has been extremely effective. His changeup generates a whiff 22% of the time, up from 15% last season. The result could explain his increase in strikeout rate, which is up to 8 strikeouts per 9 innings. The changeup comes in 10 mph slower than his fastball/sinker combo, which are up to 91 mph this season. The time has come to cease and desist in calling Keuchel a "soft-tossing lefty". All of his pitches have seen a velocity increase of 3 mph since 2012, and he occasionally touches 93 with his fastball and sinker, which average the same speed. Since Keuchel is only 26 years old, the velocity increase is likely for real, and corresponds with an age at which many pitchers add velocity and many batters add home run power. Likewise, his 2014 velocity is not a spike, as the increase in pitch speed has seen a gentle climb since Keuchel entered the league.
Quote:
"He’s forcing it, the pitch upstairs, knowing that’s the report against Mike Trout — high fastballs. But he’s a sinkerball pitcher; it’s difficult to consistently stay upstairs with his fastball."
Quote:
Keuchel, who is less established, is becoming an excellent low-ball pitcher.
Quote:
Keuchel has always had a strong changeup, paired with a two-seamer with very nice dual-plane break. The problem was that his other pitches were basically junk.
Quote:
Okay, wow. First thing that jumps out to me here is that only about 6% of Keuchel’s pitches were in the upper third of the strike zone. Even more remarkably, he threw in excess of 37% of his pitches below the knees. As you may expect, the 26-year-old finally kissed that home-run rate goodbye, as he allowed just 11 bombs in his 200 innings in 2014.
Quote:
Over the last two years, he’s turned a largely useless 72-mph slurve into a useful third pitch, a slider that comes in at around 80 mph and has good horizontal break..Now, I’m not saying that Keuchel’s slider is any sort of special offering. It’s not. What it is, however, is plenty good enough to finally give him a useful third pitch to go with the change and the two-seamer. A guy who once looked like a questionable future reliever now looks like a quality mid-rotation starter. Funny what happens when pitchers develop a third pitch and throw everything at the knees, isn’t it?
Quote:
Keuchel’s success basically boils down to pounding the bottom of the zone and making his slider a not-terrible third pitch by throwing it harder with more horizontal break. Both of those adjustments allowed his two primary pitches, a two-seamer and change, to play way, way up. That means he was able to induce a veritable shitload of ground balls. Per the BP PITCHf/x leaderboards, Keuchel led the league with a 77% ground ball per ball in play rate on two-seamers among the the 139 starters who threw that pitch at least 200 times. He was also 11th in GB/BIP at 63% with his change. All in all he led qualified starters in ground ball rate with a 63.5% mark.
Quote:
So now, the slider is getting tons of whiffs, and the change-up is looking better. That’s probably because he hasn’t thrown a single change-up to a lefty this year. He doesn’t have to, he has weapons against them now with the sinker and the breaker. Given his arsenal, it’s tempting to name him a pickup in all leagues. He has a sinker that gets 66% ground-balls, an above-average change-up for righties, and a plus slider for lefties. That’s all he needs! Wander on down to his zone percentage, though, and you might get worried. Not even 35% of his pitches are in the zone! The good news is that it might not matter. Keuchel’s ball rates on his off-speed stuff aren’t good — perhaps he’s still trying to command them better — but his two-seamer (according to BrooksBaseball) gets a 25% ball rate, which is elite. That’s how he’s put up elite walk rates in the minors. He’s also getting strike one 65% of the time, which is sustainable and excellent. Keuchel only throws around 90 mph, so don’t drop an established pitcher for him. But as a guy that gets ahead on strike one and gets grounders with a sinker he can command, and then has two putaway pitches that break in different directions..
Quote:
He throws three fastballs, with the sinker getting the most work. Left-handed sinker ballers are pretty rare. Keuchel’s ground ball rate matches the elites; unless I missed a name, the only other extreme left-handed groundball pitcher since 2002 is Jaime Garcia. Hitters see a lot of sinkers when they’re ahead in the count, which is the perfect time to throw a well controlled, moving fastball. His slider comes out to play once he’s ahead in the count. As we’ll see in a moment, it’s a doozy. His change gets a lot of action against right-handed hitters, although lefties never see it. Notice his slider and change generate a very high rate of whiffs per swing. Moreover, when batters swing, his slider is whiffed or fouled away over 77 percent of the time! We’re working with small sample sizes, but that’s still mighty impressive. His sinker and change are both fantastic at drawing ground balls when they’re put in play.
Quote:
Oddly, as good as Keuchel has been thus far, there is a strong argument to be made that he has also been unlucky. Though his career BABIP of .317 is very close to the .320 that he wields at present, his BABIP has been one of the main reasons some have projected improvement for the young hurler. In his Fielding and Ballpark Independing scoring, TCB rogue contributor reillocity found that Keuchel was the 2nd-most effective starter on the Astros in 2013, and not-so-rogue contributor clack tells us that Keuchel's xBABIP in 2013 of .305 indicated a strong probability of regression because of it's difference with his sky-high .332 BABIP. Once again, Keuchel's .320 BABIP can be considered high (league-average for qualified starters is .290), and finer times might be ahead for the lefty.

abilities:
Fastball life 2
GBpitcher, for sure
GdLowPitch maybe?
Unlucky (lolAstros)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:39 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I went with what jag suggested, W/RISP 2 as a good substitute for not getting Release 2/FB life 2. Also started with a sinker. Hope everyone enjoys!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 193.36 KiB | Viewed 4523 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 195.11 KiB | Viewed 4523 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 208.63 KiB | Viewed 4523 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Wonderful job, LetsGoMets! He came out really well! I'll upload him as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

jag123jg wrote:
Wonderful job, LetsGoMets! He came out really well! I'll upload him as soon as I can.
Thanks jag, sorry he took so long. I haven't had any time recently (my school gives a TON of tests before spring break). I had a day off school today and got sick of Madden, so I figured I might as well try success mode again. Now I'll finish Boxberger.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
tdud is making this guy now and if HE doesn't I will.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update