PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
This is a guide for players making a team of Success and Arrange team Players:
Ace- This guy is your best pitcher. Give him a mid-90s fastball and a sinker, along with groundball pitcher. This will induce several groundball outs. Give him several blue abilities, particularly the 5-scale ones, as well as A Stamina.
2nd Starter- Make this guy a breaking ball pitcher. No need for a powerful fastball, but great stamina, control, and a handful of blue abilities will make him a valuable innings-eater.
3rd Starter- I know you might be thinking seriously?, but give this guy Consistency 2. 3 out of 5 moods he will be fantastic.
4th and 5th Starters- These guys need powerful fastballs and breaking balls, as they won't combat hitters with their average Stamina.
Middle Relievers- C-B control and a handful of Blue Abilities should solidify most of your relievers.
Set-Up Man- Give this guy great breaking balls, as well several blue abilities, most importantly, w/RISP 4.
Closer- This guy should have the best control on the team, as well as a mid-90s fastball.

Post subject: Re: Power Pros 27's Season/Success/Arrange Guide
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Interesting post. For what it's worth, I think stamina is the most important attribute because you can train up the other areas more quickly. The difference between a level 1 and a level 3 pitch is much more significant than staminas of 80 and 82. Top speed is kind of in the middle - a 2 mph improvement shows less than a 2 level improvement in breaking pitches, but more than a 2 point improvement on stamina.

Of course, improving top speed will improve the breaking pitches, too, but I think if you need to divide your time when making a player, go stamina 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Catcher- Make this guy an awesome defender with a good arm. Also give him decent power with 2-3 trajectory.
1st Baseman- Make this guy a great Contact Hitter with fantastic power. Make him your best fielder too, but Run Speed isn't too important for a 1st Baseman. Blue Abilities are great here too.
2nd Baseman- This guy should be a decent hitter who can get on base. He should be extremely fast, and Stealing 4 is great here too. Give him a good Fielding rating, but save your time by not building arm strength to more than a D, as it is not important for this position.
Shortstop- This guy should be able to hit for power and have a great arm. Great range and error resistance is a plus here too. Think a 1999 Derek Jeter when making this player.
3rd Baseman- This player should be your run producer on offense, so give him a high Contact and Power Rating. Fielding can be average here, but give him a strong arm.
Left Fielder- Make this guy a pure hitter, the best on the team. Defense isn't very important for a Left Fielder, since they have the easiest outfield posistion, giving him more time to boost contact and power. He can use the leftover points to improve his defense.
Center Fielder- This guy needs to cover a lot of ground in the Outfield. He needs C-B Contact, B-A Run Speed, along with C-B Fielding and Error Resistance, as this will make him a valuable leadoff hitter and fielder.
Right Fielder- This guy is a Slugger who should have B-A Power along with great arm strength to get assists from the outfield. This guy should hit aroung 25-30 Home Runs a season.
DH- For American League Teams, I use my best hitter/worst fielder. For National League Teams, I try to use a guy with decent double/home run power- on my arrange team, I use a backup Centerfielder.

Last edited by Power Pros 27 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Bench-
Backup Catcher- This guy should be a fielder
UT INF- Make this guy a pure fielder with decent Run Speed.
OF- Give this guy good contact, run speed, and fielding attributes.
PH- Have one guy who just pinch hits.
UT INF/OF- This superutility man should have good power, while having vs. Lefty 4 or 5. This can give your leftys in the lineup days off against Left-Handed Pitchers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
I like the idea of these posts, but your just one notch below saying "give them all A's and B's. If you're looking for a competitive season, you need to focus on the weakness, too.

In the spirit of exchanging ideas, I'm going to input some comments into your post:

Power Pros 27 wrote:
Catcher- Make this guy an awesome defender with a good arm. Also give him decent power with 2-3 trajectory.

I think the level arm you want to give him depends on the CPU running. If the CPU running is set to all-star or powerful, you want a C arm, minimum. B is great. If CPU Baserunning is set to expert or lower, you'll be fine with a level D arm. I think error resistance is much more important than defense. Defense just helps you track down foul balls.

Power Pros 27 wrote:
1st Baseman- Make this guy a great Contact Hitter with fantastic power. Make him your best fielder too, but Run Speed isn't to important for a 1st Baseman. Blue Abilities are great here too.

So… You want your first baseman to have great contact, great power, and be a great fielder? That would help at any position, right? Like catchers, I think error resistance is more important for first baseman than actual fielding, since they generally don't have much ground to cover. Error resistance helps with off-center throws from the other fielders. Arm strength can help turn double plays, but is otherwise not important. I agree with your comment re speed

Power Pros 27 wrote:
2nd Baseman- This guy should be a decent hitter who can get on base. He should be extremely fast, and Stealing 4 is great here too. Give him a good Fielding rating, but save your time by not building arm strength to more than a D, as it is not important for this position.

I generally agree. Probably a standard good young second baseman will be DE contact and power. I agree with your comment on on the D arm, though you will miss a lot of doubleplay opportunities if arm strength is level E

Power Pros 27 wrote:
Shortstop- This guy should be able to hit for power and have a great arm. Great range and error resistance is a plus here too. Think a 1999 Derek Jeter when making this player.

I probably disagree most with your description of the shortstop. If you were looking to make all stars, just go for level A at all spots. If you are looking for a solid shortstop who may be in the running for MVP, get your shortstop to have level B arm and defense, And consider any offense over level E as a bonus.

Power Pros 27 wrote:
3rd Baseman- This player should be your run producer on offense, so give him a high Contact and Power Rating. Fielding can be average here, but give him a strong arm.

So… Your first baseman has great contact and fantastic power, your shortstop hits for power, your leftfielder is the best hitter on the team, Your right fielder has level B or level A power, but your third baseman is the main run producer?

That's an awful lot of power hitters in one lineup.

I totally agree about arm strength be more important than fielding. In general, I feel like the arm strength and fielding stats of a good third baseman are like those of a good catcher.

Power Pros 27 wrote:
Left Fielder- Make this guy a pure hitter, the best on the team. Defense isn't very important for a Left Fielder, since they have the easiest outfield posistion, giving him more time to boost contact and power. He can use the leftover points to improve his defense.

While I do not disagree, I just want to mention that the only defensive difference between the leftfielder and a right fielder is the throw to third, and even on powerful mode, the CPU won't try for third very often.

Power Pros 27 wrote:
Center Fielder- This guy needs to cover a lot of ground in the Outfield. He needs C-B Contact, B-A Run Speed, along with C-B Fielding and Error Resistance, as this will make him a valuable leadoff hitter and fielder.

I do not think I agree that a contact level as high as B is needed for anyone. DE or ED contact and Power should do fine, along with the run speed you propose. Obviously, you base your lineup on your actual players, but I think in most people's minds, your centerfielder leads off and your second baseman bats second, with your shortstop and catcher batting eighth and ninth (or 7th and 8th in the NL), Which I think is how your lineup would shake out.

Power Pros 27 wrote:
Right Fielder- This guy is a Slugger who should have B-A Power along with great arm strength to get assists from the outfield. This guy should hit aroung 25-30 Home Runs a season

Yeah, that would be nice.

A final overall comment: for me, defense training is the most annoying because I do not have total control. My guy will sit at level 9 arm strength and the bar almost full for weeks while the computer has him focus on errors and defense, or my SS just improved his fielding to C and instead of improving his arm from level E, he's continuing to work on fielding. Anyway, if you are creating a player, you might want to focus more on getting the defensive attributes you want since you can focus the offensive training (contact, power, batting, trajectory) more easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I think I'll try making a realistic team with these suggestions in JPPY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
I agree with ERISA in that the major gripe I have with this is these team would be waayyyy overpowered. Every single you guy list here would be a perennial all-star. What's the fun in that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:23 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Give them the red abilities you choose. I am focusing on strengths here, but if you add in the weaknesses, it is very competive. Another thing: when I say, for example, C-B, C if you want a cometetive team, B if you want an all-star team.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
A team with all C's would prolly be an All-Star team...

Why da fuq do you need your first baseman to have the best fielding? And why is 3B the main run producer? There's nothing to back that.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

First Baseman needs the best fielding to save errant throws, and he will also get the most putouts on the team, so he needs to be a great fielder. I never said that the 3rd Baseman is the main run producer, but he needs to be able to drive in runs from the middle of the order, and if you look at most 3rd Basemen, they have high RBI totals in real life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Power Pros 27 wrote:
First Baseman needs the best fielding to save errant throws, and he will also get the most putouts on the team, so he needs to be a great fielder. I never said that the 3rd Baseman is the main run producer, but he needs to be able to drive in runs from the middle of the order, and if you look at most 3rd Basemen, they have high RBI totals in real life.

There are two types of first basemen, and offensive first baseman like David Ortiz, and a defensive first baseman, like me. Because I can't hit to save my life, but I make up for it with lockdown defense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion