PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:34 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
March 24, 2008: Florida Marlins Hire New GM

Within the past several weeks, Florida's Front Office has seen a great deal of turmoil. Owner Jeffrey Loria is notoriously one of the worst owners to deal with in the game, and the Marlins have suffered as a result. They were just forced to trade stars Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis for a return that many claim to be subpar. Apparently, this was directed by Loria, as he refused to authorize a major contract for either of these players. This may have been the breaking point for Florida's brain trust, as General Manager Michael Hill tendered his resignation months ago. Now, the Marlins have announced that Matthew Ratajczyk will be the team's next GM. Ratajczyk, 32 years old, began his executive career as a deputy legal counsel for the Chicago White Sox, and eventually worked his way up to become the assistant GM of that team. He is most known for his work with contracts, but he tends to embrace an analytical philosophy when making transactions. He is looking to assemble his brain trust, which will help to advise him in scouting, trades, and FA acquisitions. The main question he faces is how will he be able to manage a difficult owner. The Marlins currently have the lowest payroll in the game, which seems to offer flexibility, but one must consider that it is nearly impossible to sign anyone to long-term deals. Ratajczyk has made it clear that improving the team's rotation is his top priority, and he will expend most of his effort to improve his starters. He enters at a difficult point, as he cannot make any offseason moves, but it will be interesting to see how he will improve Florida's roster on a short notice.

Matthew Ratajczyk answered some questions from reporters in a press conference session:

Q: What excites you the most about the roster you are about to inherit?
A: Easily our offense. We have several star quality players already- Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Mike Jacobs- just a plethora of options at the plate. I think we're in a position where, say, 1-6 can't really be pitched around, and that's always a good situation to be around. Plus, we also have a good deal of speed and baserunning ability, which will allow us to manufacture runs, steal bases, and play an NL style of ball. I don't want to create a team that only excels in one area, but I want to build a well-balanced team that is capable of making adjustments when necessary.

Q: What's one area where you are looking to improve?
A: My goal is to improve this team's pitching. Last year, we ranked toward the bottom of the league in essentially all major pitching categories, which is going to put us behind a lot of our competitors. But I think there's a lot of room for internal improvement. I'm especially excited by Anibal Sanchez and Andrew Miller- I think these players are going to develop even further in 2008, and that step forward is going to be crucial to our success this year. We feel Anibal Sanchez is ready for major league action immediately, and he has proven himself in Spring to be our Opening Day starter. But we are certainly looking for external improvements as well, and are always open to trades.

Q: You currently have the lowest payroll in the league? Are there plans to increase that number? And if not, how can you remain competitive?
A: Well, it certainly gives us a great deal of flexibility. We're not taking on any massive contracts this year, and we know that. At the same time, it does allow us to be flexible, and without any major contracts, we can focus on giving our young talent looks. We want to stay young, and we want to stay promising. And our payroll is a reflection of that. At the same time, I think our ownership and the fanbase is more than capable of supporting payroll increases if warranted.

Q: What are your expectations for 2008?
A: Our goal is always to win the last game of the MLB season. But this year, we want to improve our record. 2007 was simply unacceptable with the level of talent we have on this roster. We want to be in the race on the last day of the season, and with some internal and external improvements, I truly believe this is possible. Fans should be excited, because we're going to be excellent offensively, and as I mentioned, I think our pitching is going to improve a great deal in 2008.

Q: The team just traded Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis- two of the team's biggest contributors. How can the fanbase be excited for a new season when its two best players are gone?
A: Well, it's definitely difficult to lose players of this quality, and the fans are right to feel disappointed. Frankly, this was a deal I would not have made if I were in control. I think we want to start a new era in Florida, where fan favorites remain on the roster long term, and we can find sustained success for years to come. Also, we have several rising stars- mainly Hanley Ramirez, and in my opinion, Anibal Sanchez, that will provide a great deal of excitement to the fans. So while the loss of these players hurts, we're looking to start a new era, and that starts now.

In sum, Ratajczyk seems most focused on improving the team's pitching. He seems optimistic about internal options like Anibal Sanchez and Andrew Miller, but he is also looking for external improvements, and these may come immediately. Florida has spoken with veteran free agent Hideo Nomo, and are apparently in the trade market for a young SP. So, expect Florida to be an active team under their new General Manager.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

Post subject: Re: Adapt, Improvise, Overcome: The 2008- Florida Marlins
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:33 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

March 28, 2008: MARLINS MAKE TWO SIGNIFICANT MOVES, ACQUIRE HIDEO NOMO AND JON LESTER

The Marlins have wasted no time in attempting to improve their starting rotation. They have announced a 1-year deal with Hideo Nomo. At 40 years old, Nomo is much more experienced than most of his counterparts in Florida's rotation. While this experience is beneficial, it also means his arm comes with significant wear and tear. Also, there are concerns with his recent MLB production. He last pitched in MLB in 2005, and sported a 7.24 ERA with the Devil Rays. However, he has impressed in recent work-outs, and so the Marlins are hoping he can provide a stabilizing presence in the rotation. After this move, they continued to be active, and acquired Jon Lester from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for veteran outfielder Luiz Gonzalez, as well as younger outfielder Alejandro De Aza. This moves signals confidence in outfielder Cody Ross, but mostly signifies Florida's shift to focusing on starting pitching. Lester was solid in four starts in 2007, but Boston appears concerned with his 5+ FIP, to the point where they were willing to acquire two outfielders in exchange for him. If Lester can pitch to his potential, Florida's rotation can significantly improve.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:44 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

MLB.COM 2008 TEAM PREVIEWS: FLORIDA MARLINS

The Florida Marlins enter the 2008 season at a bit of a crossroads. In the offseason, they traded fan favorites Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit in exchange for several prospects. This move greatly upset Florida's fanbase, who is growing tired of owner Jeffery Loria's inability to commit to long-term contracts. In 2007, the team ranked dead last in attendance, and there is not much noticeable excitement among the fanbase. Then, the front office was shocked by several key resignations, including General Manager Michael Hill. To replace him, Florida hired unproven GM Matthew Ratajczyk, who will look to bring some much-needed optimism back to the fanbase. He promised immediate activity, and delivered on this promise by acquiring Hideo Nomo and Jon Lester, moves that hope to strengthen Florida's starting rotation. This year, Florida will likely rely on their offense to offset some weaknesses in their pitching staff.

LINEUP PREVIEW:

Florida's lineup, if fully healthy, may rank among the top-ten in the league. Each of their hitters from 1-5 have 25+ HR potential, and Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla can each be MVP candidates if they are able to make some minor improvements this season. Hanley Ramirez is one of the most exciting young players to watch in the league, and he carries immediate 30-30 club potential. Outside the top 5 in the lineup, Jorge Cantu and Alfredo Amezaga are solid hitters, but each may be platooned with Wes Helms and Cody Ross. This gives Florida's offense unique flexibility, as if one of these hitters are struggling, they can replace them with a better option. Their biggest weakness, though is at catcher, where Matt Treanor or Mike Rabelo will start. Neither of these options are strong at the plate or on defense, so Florida is looking to make immediate improvements here. Overall, though, this is a strong offense that should be able to average around 4 runs per game. Grade: B

PITCHING PREVIEW
Image Image

In 2007, the Marlins ranked among the bottom of the league in most pitching categories. They ranked 26th in ERA, which was simply not good enough despite their strong offense. In response, the front office focused on improving their starting rotation. They signed Hideo Nomo, a veteran starter. Nomo has a proven track record, but there are significant concerns about his arm health and rust, as he has not pitched in MLB since 2005, and the results were not good. However, he was only signed to a 1-year deal, so he can be easily moved on from if necessary. The most exciting move was the acquisition of Jon Lester from Boston. Lester is one of the most promising pitching prospects in the league, but he has struggled a bit in Boston the last two years. To get him, Florida traded two outfielders, which signifies a shift to focusing on pitching. Overall, this rotation is extremely young with the exception of Hideo Nomo. No other starter is above the age of 26, which means that if these players show potential, Florida may boast a strong rotation in the future. Bullpen-wise, they are quite questionable. Kevin Gregg is their closer, and he had a breakout season in 2007. But aside from him, their options are limited. Josh Johnson, another promising pitcher, will begin the season in the bullpen, but he may rotate between there and the rotation depending on needs. In sum, Florida's rotation should be better in 2008, but their bullpen will be the biggest question mark that will ultimately determine their season. Grade: C

NL EAST STANDINGS PREDICTION:
1. New York Mets
2. Atlanta Braves
3. Philadelphia Phillies
4. Florida Marlins
5. Washington Nationals

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:13 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

March 31, 2008: Opening Day

It was a rough opening game for the Florida Marlins, as they fell 7-0 to the New York Mets. The Mets are expected to be one of the better teams in the league this season, but the Marlins were hoping to put up a better fight. Johan Santana kept the offense in check, holding them to just three hits. Anibal Sanchez was also disappointing in his first start of the season, as he gave up several home runs. But he did strike out several batters, so there was still some promise from his start. It was especially concerning to not score any runs, but the Marlins are hoping to bounce back going forward. In the next game, Jon Lester will make his Marlins debut, which is much anticipated from Florida's Front Office.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:03 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

APRIL 2008 RECAP: DREADFUL START FOR MARLINS

It was a brutal month of April for the Marlins, who sit in dead last in the NL East with a 9.5 game deficit. Unfortunately, there's been only a few bright spots for the team so far this year. Dan Uggla has been a superstar, leading the team in each of the Triple Crown categories, as well as in OBP, WAR, and OPS. Hanley Ramirez, Josh Willingham, and Jeremy Hermida have also been great, and each can make the case for an All-Star spot. The problem for Florida, which has been clear since the season began, is that their 6-9 hitters have not hit well. They are one of the worst hitting teams with RISP, evidenced by them being last in the league in runs despite some All Star numbers from players. Clearly, they will have to upgrade at the catcher position, as well as potentially at corner infield/CF. Pitching-wise, they have been especially dreadful. Jon Lester has been the only positive, as he currently has an incredible ERA. He's the only good starter so far, as everyone else has been dreadful. Hideo Nomo looks like a DFA candidate, and Andrew Miller has been a major disappointment. As of now, the Miguel Cabrera trade looks like an abject disaster, and Florida once again ranks dead-last in attendance. They are going to have to find a way to provide some excitement for the fanbase, because right now their short-term outlook is atrocious.

Batting Stats:

Pitching Stats:

NL East Standings:

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:38 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

June 1, 2008 (ESPN.com): MARLINS MAKE SERIES OF TRADES IN A DRAMATIC ROSTER SHAKE-UP

After a dreadful 18-35 start to the season, the Florida Marlins have made a series of trades to shake up their roster. Their first goal was to drastically improve their starting pitching, which got off to a horrendous start. To do so, they first acquired young starters Johnny Cueto and Great Paulino from Cincinnati in exchange for SS/CF Alfredo Amezaga. Cueto and Paulino will immediately slot into Florida's rotation and should give them a key boost. They also acquired catcher David Ross in the deal, who will fill in a major hole in the lineup, as Matt Treanor got off to a dreadful start. Next, the team acquired promising young outfielder Josh Hamilton from the Texas Rangers, as well as pitchers Jason Jennings and Luis Mendoza. Hamilton had a strong season for Cincy last year, but has been struggling with personal issues. Florida has taken a chance on him, and hopes to slot him at at CF. Finally, they acquired 1B Great Johnson and P John Lannan from Baltimore. Clearly, Florida was quite frustrated with the team's play to begin the season, and have dramatically changed the roster as a result. Each of the players they acquired are quite young (except for Johnson) so the moves were designed to improve the team's short-term and long-term outlook. While 2008 looks like a lost season, 2009 and beyond may look more promising.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:56 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

MAY 2008 RECAP: 2008 A Lost Cause For Florida, Sights Set on 2009 and Beyond

With their record standing at an abysmal 21-39, the Marlins can already write off the 2008 season. They have recently made a series of drastic changes to their roster, but these are mostly aimed at improving their position for the mid-long term future. Even with the record, there have still been some strong performers, mainly Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Josh Willingham, Jeremy Hermida, and Jon Lester. Each of these players appear to be a major part of Florida's core, so the team will look to supplement them with additional talent. However, there have also been some major letdowns, mainly Anibal Sanchez, Andrew Miller, and Cody Ross. Anibal Sanchez has been one of the biggest disappointments across the league this season, as he carries an ERA just around 6, which is simply not good enough for an Opening Day starter. Andrew Miller was demoted to AAA after a brutal start to 2008, and Cody Ross has been rotated between the lineup and the bench. Each of these players will need to step up their play for the Marlins to feel better about their future outlook. Next month, the MLB Draft will take place, and the Marlins hold the sixth overall pick. If one had to guess, a strong assumption would be that Florida will heavily target pitching in the draft, based on the moves they have made so far. But at this stage, going best player available may be their best option. Only time will tell which course of action they will take, however. If Marlins fans have stopped paying attention, which is understandable, now may be a good time to tune back in.

Batting Stats:

Pitching Stats:

Standings:

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:24 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

PROSPECT PROFILES: FLORIDA MARLINS

The Florida Marlins are currently in a rebuilding phase, and as such are focusing on building around young talent. As of now, their farm system is a work in progress, but several players have broken out in 2008. Here is a ranking of the top 5 prospects in the Marlins' system:

1. Jeremiah Jackson- SP/CP
Florida's top prospect, as well as the top prospect in the Majors, is 20 year-old pitcher Jeremiah Jackson. Jackson rotated between the bullpen and starting rotation in his brief college/minor league career, but is now being used as a starting pitcher for Florida's AAA affiliate. He carries a lethal pitch mix, with a 99 MPH top speed, as well as two elite breaking pitches. He does not have any significant weaknesses, although his control can be slightly improved. The main question will be whether Florida will use Jackson in the starting rotation or in the bullpen. He has more experience as a reliever, but has recently worked on improving his stamina. Clearly, Florida views starting pitcher as a major need, so they are attempting to adapt Jackson as a starter. This transition will certainly not be seamless, but Jackson has excelled as an ace for the AAA Golden Apples, so Florida remains optimistic he can be a future ace. ETA: 2009

2. Alex Strong- C
Florida's next best prospect is 20 year old Catcher Alex Strong, who is an all-around talent. It is rare to find catchers who excel both offensively and defensively, but Strong may be an exception. He currently leads all AAA catchers in CS% and also leads in advanced pitch framing statistics. This will certainly help Florida's pitchers if it translates to MLB, but his offensive talent can also provide a much needed boost to Florida's lineup. David Ross has been an average hitter since being acquired, but Strong is a much greater offensive talent than Ross. He is generally more contact-oriented, but he does have 15-20 HR potential if breaks go his way. He currently leads AAA catchers in each of the Triple Crown categories, which makes him a multi-faceted threat. ETA: 2009

3. Julio Topez- SP
Next season, Florida's starting rotation can be far better than it currently is, as Jeremiah Jackson and Julio Topez could be an elite 1-2 duo. Topez is known for his ability to keep the ball on the ground, as he has currently given up the least amount of HRs among qualified AAA starters. This skill would be especially useful in a division with Atlanta, New York, and Philadelphia. His breaking balls could use some work, although he does boast an impressive slow curve. His control is also solid but with room to improve. His pitching philosophy is to keep pitches low in the zone, and if successful, he is able to work quickly and to force many key double plays. This has been Florida pitching's overall strategy in 2008, which is beginning to show some success. Overall, then, Topez can be a great fit for Florida's starting rotation, and can be an immediate contributor next year. ETA: 2009

4. Travis Gorneault- SP
The Marlins selected SP Travis Gorneault with their second round pick in the 2008 draft. Gorneault is a raw prospect, but his control is quite impressive and agruably on par with Jackson and Topez. But he needs to significantly improve his breaking pitches, as his top speed is only 88 MPH, which will require him to focus mainly on breaking pitches. He is quite similar to Jon Lester in this regard, so the Marlins may adopt a similar strategy that they have been using to make Jon Lester into a solid starting option. However, it may take a few years for Gorneault to be MLB ready, so his impact will not be as immediate as the first three names on this list. ETA: 2010/11

5. Mike Arellano- RF
With the sixth pick in the 2008, the Marlins selected RF Mike Arellano. Arrelano is one of the best power hitters in the draft, as he led all NCAA hitters in HR. His power is arguably on par with hitters like Mike Jacobs, which is incredibly impressive for a young prospect. However, his contact needs to improve significantly, as he is prone to striking out. He is also not the best base runner of fielder, so he is so far a one-dimensional player. It will likely require a significant amount of time for him to develop as an all-around hitter, but he is a young prospect, so there is plenty of time for Florida to wait on him. However, Florida's outfield is one of the best in the league, outside of CF, and is quite young as well. So the Marlins will have to decide whether they need to move Arellano to a different position. ETA: 2010/11

Overall, Florida has three prospects that can make instant impacts in 2009, which not many teams can say. As such, the future is bright in Florida.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:20 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

(ESPN.com, July 13, 2008): Marlins Strengthen Roster, Trade Helms for Kouzmanoff, Meredith

The Marlins have made yet another trade, acquiring Kevin Kouzmanoff and Cla Meredith from the San Diego Padres in exchange for 1B/3B Wes Helms. Kouzmanoff has been struggling a bit this year, but it surprising San Diego was already willing to give up on him, as well as part with a solid reliever in Cla Meredith. They appear to think Wes Helms can be a solid starter, as he has been having a decent season since becoming a full-time starter after Jorge Cantu was traded. Still, if Kevin Kouzmanoff and Cla Meredith can play up to their potentials, this could be a major trade win for Florida.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:33 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Post-All Star Break Update: Marlins Showing Signs of Improvement, 4 Players Named to All Star Game

Where the Marlins stand coming out of the break. There are definite signs of improvement as the Marlins have finished with winning records in each of the summer months. Also, they are only 14 under .500, which is a bit better than their 21-39 record at the last update. Despite their poor record, they had four players named to the All Star Team in Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Jeremy Hermida, and Kevin Gregg. Each of these players are quite young, and if extended, can form a strong core that the Marlins can build around in the upcoming years. The remainder of this season will be about building for the future, and if the Marlins can string some wins together, there will certainly be some optimism heading into 2009, especially with several top prospects ready to make their MLB debuts then.

Batting Stats:

Pitching Stats:

Month Stats:

Standings:

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:50 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

(MLB.COM: November 1, 2008): 2008 Another Disappointment for Florida

It was once again an underwhelming season for the Florida Marlins, who finished at 70-92. Although the team made several moves during the season, they were not enough to save them from another poor finish. The team did show promising signs of improvment over the summer, but these signs faded as they saw many divisional opponents in the second half. The NL East was the best division in baseball this season, and the Marlins certainly fell victim to it. Mainly, their pitching was their biggest issue, as Anibal Sanchez was a disappointment. There were some bright spots, though, with Jon Lester and Jason Jennings emerging as solid starters. Also, Kevin Gregg surprisingly won Reliever of the Year, despite limited opportunities on a bad team. Offensively, things were much better for the Marlins, especially after trades. Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez won Silver Sluggers, but they may need a few more supporting options. Next year, with Alex Strong, Jeremiah Jackson, and Julio Topez entering the mix, Florida should be expected to win some more games, but they will need to be active in the offseason to ensure this. In the postseason, the Detroit Tigers defeated the St. Louis Cardinals, claiming revenge for the 2006 World Series.

NL EAST STANDINGS:

MLB STANDINGS:

Batting Stats:

Pitching Stats:

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:56 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

2009 Offseason Recap: Marlins Make Major Improvements, Sign 4 Key Free Agents

This offseason, the Marlins have made several key additions to improve on weak points on their roster. They were clearly focused on improving their pitching, and to do so, they signed ex-Rockie Aaron Cook. Cook had an excellent 2008 season, posting a 3.68 even in a tough pitching environment in Colorado. In Florida, Cook should be able to perform even better, and he will probably be the third pitcher in the rotation (behind Jeremiah Jackson and Julio Topez). To boost their bullpen, the Marlins acquired ex-Cub Ryan Dempster and ex-Rockie Brian Fuentes. Dempster began his career in Florida, and was even an All Star in 2000, so he returns to a familiar environment to be used as a set-up man. The team completed their pitching acquisitions by signing Brian Fuentes, another ex-Rockie. Apparently, the team was impressed with pitchers who could succeed in Colorado. The team's bullpen will be backed by Cla Meredith, Ryan Dempster, Brian Fuentes, and 2008 Reliever of the Year Kevin Gregg. This is certainly stronger than their 2008 bullpen, which struggled to hold leads at times. Finally, the team made a surprise acquisiton by signing star base-stealer Carl Crawford. This was a surprising move because many expected Florida to maintain their current outfield, but the team clearly saw a need to improve there. Crawford will be converted to a CF, which means Josh Hamilton will probably be used as a platoon option. With these moves, in addition to expected debuts for three top prospects, Florida may have a chance to finally contend for the first time since 2003, but they will have to survive a strong division to do so.

BrewersFuzz wrote: