Post subject: Charlotte Legends: AOW Challenge Log
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
So much for a last chance log with my Pioneers team. There were a multitude of reasons I completely gave it up. The top reason would be that it was getting to easy, even on advanced settings. As a matter of fact, over my last two planned logs, my teams had an incredible combined record of 33-8. And that record was with me trying not to overpower those two teams. If my math is right, and it usually isn't, I would have been looking a projected win total on those two logs of about 120.
In order to inject a challenge back into the game I decided to do an AOW season challenge log. With a small caveat that I'll get into in a bit.
The Charlotte Legends will have a distinct American theme since I edited my players names to those of famous US figures. Those famous Americans are former presidents, revolutionaries, pioneers and others.
While I used AOW's formula for expansion teams, there are some tweaks I made when building the roster. While I drafted all greybars, I wanted to also to change my players appearance to look like their namesakes, as well as changing annoying pitching/batting forms. So, after drafting players, I went and edited existing players, matching their skill set exactly to those of the drafted greybar, editing only appearances and form. I also tried to match up contracts, as well as years till free agency, as best I could. The only change I allowed was in blue/red abilities. I allowed myself to add +2 to any defensive skill if I removed a blue ability, but would have to -2 for a removal of a red. The only small improvement I made was giving bench and minor leaguers the ability to play multiple positions.
I also put myself at another disadvantage. Instead of using greybars that had C stamina to fill out my pen, I found some of the worst relivers in the game and mirrored those abilities to my own bullpen, E stamina and all.
Over my entire roster I have zero A or B abilities for position players. I have 2 C abilities on defensive ratings over the entire roster and one player with C speed (ok, one cheat. But he doesn't do anything else well). 3 players have C power and the best connect of the three is a E7. I only have 3 starting pitchers with B stamina, all under 120, on my entire roster. This should be a bit more of a challenge!

There are a few more restrictions I placed on my team:
1. I can only make two trades and those trades can only be for a pitcher with C or less stamina or a defender with low offensive stats
2. I can't buy training equipment till after the all-star break and can only buy two upgrades.
Practice is open for all skills

Team Name: Charlotte Legends
Owner: Andrew Carnegie
GM: Henry Ford
Manager: Uncle Sam
Home Stadium: Chase Field
League/ Division: American League Central
AAA Affiliate: Asheville Muskets

Post subject: Re: Charlotte Legends: AOW Challenge Log
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:10 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Legends full major league and minor league rosters.

Starting Lineup
CF- Paul Revere (L-R/1/E6/F81/C11/D9/E6/D9)
SS- Sam Adams (R-R/2/D8/D113/D8/D9/D9/D9)
DH- Teddy Roosevelt (S-R/2/E7/C139/F4/D8/F5/E6)
3B- Thomas Jefferson (L-R/2/E6/C128/F5/D8/E6/D8)
1B- Abraham Lincoln (R-L/3/F5/C133/E6/F4/E6/D9)
C- Wyatt Earp (S-R/3/E7/D103/D8/C10/D9/D9)
LF- Humphry Bogart (L-R/2/E6/D115/D8/D9/D9/E6)
RF- Davey Crocket (S-L/2/E6/D112/D8/D8/E6/E7)
2B- John Kennedy (L-R/2/D8/E95/D8/D8/D8/F5)

Bench
2B/SS- Ronald Reagan (R-R/1/G3/F74/E7/D8/E6/E6)
3B/1B- William McKinley (L-R/2/F4/D103/F4/E6/F5/F4)
OF- John Adams (L-L/2/F5/F60/D8/F5/E6/F5)
C- Buzz Aldrin (S-R/2/F4/E96/E6/D8/E6/C10)

Pitching Staff
SP1- George Washington (L/93/C141/B118/DCB4/SLD3/CHG2/2SF2)
SP2- John Hancock (R/90/C141/B116/FRK4/CB4/SLD2)
SP3- Francis Key (L/91/D123/B110/CB3/SLD2/FRK1)
SP4- Woodrow Wilson (R/92/E112/C105/FRK3/SLD2/2SF1)
SP5- Jim Henson (R/90/F105/C100/PLM3/CB3/SLD3)
SW- Ernest Hemingway (R/93/E117/FRK2/CB2)
MR- Franklin Roosevelt (R/90/E113/E45/SLD2/FRK1/2SF1)
MR- Orville Wright (R/93/E114/E45/SLD3/CHG1)
MR- Wilbur Wright (L/94/E117/E45/CB3/FRK1)
MR- Benjamin Franklin (L/93/E113/E45/FRK3/CB1)
SU- Harry Truman (R/94/D121/E45/CB3/SLD2/FRK1)
CL- Elvis Presley (R/92/D134/E45/CB3/SLD3)

AAA Asheville Muskets
Fielders
2B/SS- Ulysess Grant (R-R/1/F5-E88/E7/E7/D9/E6)
3B/2B-James Garfield (S/R/2/E6/D100/F4/E7/F4/D8)
1B/C- George Clymer (L-R/2/G3/D104/G3/F4/F4/F5)
C- Richard Lee- (R-R/2/F4/F84/E6/D9/E7/E7)
RF- William Hooper (L-L/1/E6/F62/E7/E6/E6/E6)
LF/CF- Patrick Henry (R-R/2/E7/F73/E7/D8/E6/F4)

Pitchers
P- Eliot Ness (R/91/F108/C90/FRK2/CB/2)
P- Jackie Gleason (L/91/E112/C87/CB2/SLD2)
P- Grover Cleveland (R/92/E116/E40/DCB2/CHG1)
P- John Penn (R/92/E113/E40/CHG2/SLV1/SLD1)
P- Mark Twain (L/90/F107/E40/SLV3)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:58 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Preseason GM 1 at Pirates (L, 5-2)
SP: Key
A great performance by Key (5IP, 2H, 4K, 0ER), was thwarted by the bullpen (4IP, 8H, 2K 5ER). Not that the offence helped out. Managing nine hits, no extra base hits, with just 2 runs scored.

Preseason GM2 at Baltimore (W, 9-4)
SP: Washington
An all-round solid win. Charlotte took advantage of Hernandez's week arm {E} and stole 4 bases in the game. Lincoln delivered the first homerun of the preseason. Some shaky relief pitching and fielding led to three Baltimore runs. Washington (4.2 IP, 7H, 4K, 1ER) didn't figure in the decision.

Preseason GM3 at Rangers (L, 7-3)
SP: Hancock
Uncle Sam , trying to make an ill-advised statement in preseason, left John Hancock in way to long- even though it was only the fourth inning- coasting Charlotte to surrender a five run fourth. The bullpen pitched 4.1 of shutout ball, but the offence never scored after a three run, first inning outburst.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:38 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Kansas City Royals (Bannister 0-0)@ Charlotte Legends (Washington 0-0) 3/31

Charlotte- The Legends won their inaugural game tonight against the Kansas City Royals before a loud, sold out crowd at Independence Field. The crowd was into the game from the first pitch of the game, till the final out was recorded. The Legends took advantage of timely hitting- all their runs were scored with two outs- and a stellar first performance from starter George Washington.
“This was a great game for us to open our season as a new team,” said manager Uncle Sam. “We played well in every facet of the game tonight.”
Not wanting to waste anytime jumping into the franchise record books, Teddy Roosevelt blasted an opposite field home run in the bottom of the first, giving Charlotte the early lead. The Legends would add to the lead in the third. After Sam Adams advanced to second on a fielder’s choice, Thomas Jefferson banged a 2-out, RBI double to right center. Two more runs would score in the sixth, both with two outs. Humphry Bogart boomed an RBI double to center, just getting over the head of DeJesus, to score Wyatt Earp all the way from first. Davey Crocket followed with an RBI single to give the Legends a 4-0 lead.
But, in the seventh, Kansas City would break through against Wilbur Wright. Jose Guillen doubled to left center and would move to third on a passed ball. Guillen would score two pitches later on a Ross Gload RBI single, ending Wright’s night. Kansas City threatened again in the eight, getting leadoff singles from Tony Pena and Travis Buck. Harry Truman entered the game and stopped the threat, getting DeJesus to strikeout before inducing a 6-4-3 double play.
Elvis Presley pitched a perfect ninth- and left the building- with a Legends win, and his first save of the year.

Box Score
KC:1
LEG:4

WP: Washington (1-0)
LP: Bannister (0-1)
S: Presley (1)

HR: T. Roosevelt (1)
KC- Gload 2-3, RBI; DeJesus 2-4
LEG- Washington 5.2IP, 2H, 7K, 0ER; Crockett 3-3, 2B, RBI; Bogart 1-3, RBI, R

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

4/3 Roster moves
The Legends have sent P Ernest Hemingway down to AAA Ashevill after pitching 3.1 innings of relief last night. Jackie Gleason has been called up to fill the long reliever role out of the Charlotte pen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Chicago White Sox (Buehrle 0-1)@ Charlotte Legends (Henson 0-0) 4/6
Charlotte – It was bombs away for the second straight night for the homer happy Chi Sox- they hit five last night- as they again feasted on Legends pitching, depositing three long balls in the outfield bleachers, enroot to taking the final game of a three-game set.
“Lots of power through out that lineup and they certainly flexed that muscle the last two games,” said manager Uncle Sam, who was ejected for the second straight night, after the loss. “We’ll definitely have to do a better job containing that power the next time we see them.”
Chicago didn’t waste any time jumping on starter Jim Henson. Orlando Cabrera – the second batter of the game- laced an opposite field triple and Jim Thome boomed a long, opposite field homerun. Charlotte didn’t stay behind for long. Paul Revere singled then stole second (Charlotte took advantage of AJ Pierzinski’s sub-par arm all series), and scored on a Teddy Roosevelt RBI double. Roosevelt would score a few pitches later on a Thomas Jefferson RBI single to center.
Chicago hit its second homer of the night, a Jermaine Dye solo shot in the fourth, to take the lead for the second time. The Legends got the run back in the fifth. Ronald Reagan, filling in for an underperforming John Kennedy, doubled down the left field line. Buzz Aldrin, making his first start of the year, singled him home. Charlotte had a chance to take the lead in the sixth, but a base running mistake by Lincoln – thrown out at home- finished that opportunity.
Uncle Sam was then ejected- for the second straight game- for arguing balls and strikes. “My guys couldn’t buy a called strike on borderline pitches the last couple of games and Chicago was getting everyone. Those guys don’t need any help. It was ridiculous.” Said Sam, who will probably be fined for criticizing umpires. Promptly after his ejection, Carlos Quinten put Chicago up for good, a solo homerun off Ben Franklin, put the White Sox up one.
The Legends tried to rally in the ninth against Bobby Jenks, but fell short when Reagan lined out to first to end the game.

Box Score
CWS:4
LEG:3

WP: Buehrle (1-1)
LP: Franklin (0-1)
S: Jenks (1)

HR: Thome (1), Dye (3), Quentin (2)

CWS- Thome 1-4, HR, 2RBI, R; Cabrera 1-4, 3B, R, K
LEG- T. Roosevelt 2-4, 2B, RBI, R; Lincoln 2-4, K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

4/6 Roster moves
Jackie Gleason (3IP, 1ER) was sent back to AAA Asheville after pitching last night in long relief. Ernst Hemingway was recalled and will work as the long reliever.