Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 1913 Boston Red Sox
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Longball714 wrote:
what are his ratings (if any)

Attachment:
Ed.jpg
Ed.jpg [ 207.18 KiB | Viewed 2776 times ]

Attachment:
Scouting Report.jpg
Scouting Report.jpg [ 87.56 KiB | Viewed 2777 times ]

His ratings are on a 1-10 scale. The scouting report was made by my scouting director. It's basically his opinion (based on my scouts ratings at scouting). It may or may not be accurate, which is why you ultimately have to judge players yourself in this game. You just can't see a five star player and think he's good because his speed and contact are good while he lacks defensively at a key posistion. Scouting reports won't really tell you that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Are all the players in the game real? (Sorry if it says in the reviews. I don't have time to read them at the moment.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

lanceberkman wrote:
Dr K wrote:
lanceberkman wrote:
I'm going to have to look into this game. Go for Josh Gibson since you've got Hornsby.

The game is well worth it, trust me. I found out about it during the pre order period so I got ten dollars off. Trust me though, whether you pay thirty or forty dollars, the game is worth it. You strike me as a stat freak, so you'll like it. The game can be a tad overwhelming at first, but you'll get use to it after a few days.

http://www.braves-nation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=15862
http://baseballtalkonline.com/2009/05/o ... 10-review/
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/

That's two reviews for the game. Oh yeah, Curt Schilling also plays this game! Pretty much when he talks about fantasy baseball on his blog, he's referring to one of the online leagues in this game, but you can have a solo league, like me. You should check around the forums and play the demo of the previous version: http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi? ... downloads&

==================================================================

Also, expect an update for the next season soon. I'm going for a quick bike ride to the neighborhood pond and I'll be back inside to play. :)

If Power Pros 2009 gets cancelled I'm definitly getting this. :)

I went ahead and splurged on this because I didn't think Power Pros would come out. Even if it does, at this point, I think it's the better buy. The only downside to this game is the lack of graphics like Power Pros. You don't actually get to move the mouse around to make contact, you're the manager. You tell the hitter to hit the ball, the runner to steal the base, etc. . .

If you haven't tried out the previous version's demo, I'd go ahead and do it. You have nothing to lose. Because of this game, I look at the time and go "one more hour" and I'm still not off come five more hours, lol.

@Lance: Yeah, every player in the game is real. The game can/will generate some fictional players. You can, however, disable them from ever making the Major Leagues. I don't have that option checked at the moment because, well... while this is a historical replay, there could have been a player like my fictional one. If you ever get tired of historical players, you can create a fictional league. The possibilities are endless. I'll have to show you guys the moves I made for the Nationals this year. :) I acquired Joe Mauer and Justin Monreau and a few minor league scrubs from the Twins. Anyway, that's just an example. You can start in any year (even 2009) and play. If you want to start in 1871 you can start in 1871 with real players and teams!!

The game doesn't have real logos and player photos with it though. The price of the game would be inflated dramatically if it did (fees to the MLB and MLBPA). Other people who purchased the game make their own photo packs (I downloaded one mid-season), updated rosters (for people who like having a player who was acquired in July of 2009 in April), logos and jerseys. Pretty much, everybody contributes to make it the best baseball management simulator I've ever played.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Ok, I'll read the reviews tomorrow. How much memory space does it take up?(It is on the comp right?)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

lanceberkman wrote:
Ok, I'll read the reviews tomorrow. How much memory space does it take up?(It is on the comp right?)

According to Add and Remove Programs, 7.51 MB. Your average anti-virus protection program takes up a lot more.

When I add up the size of everything (folders and all), 2,158.27 MB. That's not much, and keep in mind, I downloaded a bunch of add ons.

Also, according to their website your computer needs to be:

98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
1024x768 display
1GHz processor
256 MB RAM

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/joomla/ ... -ootp.html
A ton of screenshots. :)

If you have anymore questions about the game, I'd post here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board. People who are more knowledgeable will post there, and I'd ask the question you asked about the memory there as well. You'll get a better answer there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Besides the transactions you already know about, Boston made no interesting moves. They attempted to deal for Art Nehf, and they did, but Nehf was unable to pass his physical. The Indians get to keep him for one more season. Boston management hinted towards "possibly" dealing for him once again if he looks succesful and dominant in the big leagues.

Boston has also unveiled a new set of uniforms for its players to where.

Attachment:
Sox Uni.jpg
Sox Uni.jpg [ 79.12 KiB | Viewed 2748 times ]

That's pretty much it...

Ty Cobb suffered an injury in Spring Training but made a speedy recovery. He'll be able to and is going to start in opening day.

A quick look at the Red Sox Opening Day roster doesn't reveal much... Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Joe Jackson are all pretty much coming to the end of their contract soon. If they play well this season, they'll probably be resigned...

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 87.48 KiB | Viewed 2747 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
You should go for a good defensive catcher.

Forget Konetchy, he's too old right now and Sisler will be fine for you.

Can you post a batting lineup and their ratings?

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:35 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Longball714 wrote:
You should go for a good defensive catcher.

Forget Konetchy, he's too old right now and Sisler will be fine for you.

Can you post a batting lineup and their ratings?

I'm at school using my blackberry to post, but yeah. I'll do that as soon as I get home. I will be going for a defensive catcher soon. My pitching is terrific, so I don't need one at the moment. However, in 1919, I'll try to draft Biz Mackey.

http://www.nlbpa.com/mackey__biz.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The Boston Red Sox ended up winning the World Series in 1916. That gives them a total of four World Championships and ten play off appearances. They were also able to retain pretty much everybody on their club, but the General Manager. Former General Manager, Bob Rayner, was due for an extension, instead, he went and signed with the New York Yankees. Rayner will probably make an immediate impact on the Yankee clubhouse and should be able to put together a World Series team... that's bad news for Boston. However, every ounce of bad news comes with some good news mixed in. The Red Sox offered interim General Manager, Timothy Yawkey, the job. He accepted and promised to follow in his predecessor's footsteps and keep all the good, fan favorites on the team.

Ty Cobb, Boston's best player and nine time Most Valuable Player Award Winner, had this to say about the front office shake up:

"We'll respect the new guy. We [himself, Jackson, Speaker] have promised to play our heart out for him. Obviously, watching one of the smartest minds in Baseball go to a division rival is hard, but we'll get through it. I expect him to be crying for his job back at the end of this season." Cobb continued, "If he doesn't, oh well. New York is paying him more money. We all know that. If money is the deciding factor... that's sad."

Bob Rayner and the New York Yankees never got back to us. They probably have nothing to say. And something exciting happened this Spring Training...

The Gentleman's Agreement was finally broken by the Boston Braves. They invited twenty-seven year old Steve Lemon to camp. Lemon is an African American. However, the Braves decided that Lemon did not bring the required tools to the table in Spring, thus he was released. A sad day for all Negroes, indeed. However, Boston's new General Manager recently donated a large sum of cash (upward of 100,000) to the Negro Leagues. That money has gone a long way to creating five new negro-only teams. As it stands, the Negro Leagues have ten teams. Five in each division.

In transaction news, the Red Sox didn't shake anything up. They pretty much kept everybody who was on their roster on their roster. Babe Ruth has adapted to the closer spot in the bullpen. He'll barely see any action. When will Boston realize Babe Ruth is a better hitter than he is a pitcher...? Fans everywhere are hoping this new General Manager, Timothy, does!

During the 1916 season, Boston was able to acquire Walter Johnson. Johnson is Boston's ace for this year, despite a injury last year which kept him out for almost six months. If he doesn't do well, the Red Sox always have Chief Johnson who won the Big Six Award for his second season in a row. He's developing into a great pitcher at the moment and I'm sure the Yankees wish they never traded him away. He's also entering his prime at age thirty, meaning he'll only get better... expect the unexpected boys.

The Red Sox's new scout, Justin Wilson, is releasing his scouting reports to the public. He judges players on a 1-10 scale, one being the worst, ten being the best.

He also took the liberty of doing the same thing in which he did for batters, for the pitchers. Only he didn't bother judging them based on their offensive ability, instead he judged them on their defense and pitching.

That's pretty much it... Christy Matthewson, or Big Six, is still going strong. He should be able to retire and call himself the best pitcher in history at the end of this season. He's that good. Nobody can hit him. In fact, he's known for his late season surges. Last season, he paced the Red Sox to the play offs by going 12-1 with a 1.79 ERA in the closing months of the season. Hall of Fame potential.

Ty Cobb is projecting he'll be able to bat 400 again this year. If he does, it'll be his third .400 season. As for the rotation, it's shaping. It's solid with the new addition of Walter Johnson. He should be in Boston for many more years.

..That's it. Let's hope the Red Sox win another title for new General Manager, Timothy Yawkey!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
how much money is it and can you use current teams?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:51 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

jacobye46 wrote:
how much money is it and can you use current teams?

The game is fourty dollars. It's how much you would pay if Power Pros 2009 was released today. Or... that's atleast what I payed for 2008. You can use current teams. If I really wanted to, I could start as any 2009 team.

I'll show you a glimpse of the Red Sox roster on this game.

Attachment:
R.jpg
R.jpg [ 98.61 KiB | Viewed 2704 times ]

And for fun

LARS ANDERSON

Attachment:
God.jpg
God.jpg [ 139.53 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Small update, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Babe Ruth and Tris Speaker have all been traded to the New York Yankees for career minor leaguers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:15 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Salary purposes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

lanceberkman wrote:
Salary purposes?

Yeah, and I want to give the Yankees that extra push to be good, so it's like real life. I need to fall in the standings so I can pick up Gehrig soon. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Sounds realistic... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next