Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 1913 Boston Red Sox
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Nice! Anyone else I might know?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
At the end of the 1914 season, we have good news and we have bad news. The bad news is Boston made it to the World Series and lost to the Phillies. The other piece of bad news is the New York Yankees are starting to make a rebound in the division; they made the Wild Card last year. Luckily, Boston beat them back to where they belong.

The good news is Boston has no more weaknesses. During the off-season and primarily during and after the amateur draft, Boston filled all their holes. The biggest trade was for Roger Hornsby. St. Louis needed a right fielder and Boston had one in the form of Jack Tobin. Tobin, who never did anything for Boston, won't be missed. Hornsby is rated as the #5 prospect overall, and the #1 batting prospect. Whether or not he'll make an impact as big as Cobb has yet to be seen, but he should be solid at short defensively and offensively.

That's not the only good thing that happened. Twenty-nine year old and former Yankee, Chief "Murphy" Johnson was traded from the Yankees to the Red Sox for Jack Bentley, Jeff Bolden and fifteen thousand dollars. He'll be a solid number two starter in Boston for years to come. There has been critics of the trade but Boston's General Manager has ignored them. Besides, if anything goes wrong, Johnson can be placed in the bullpen.

Finally, the Boston Red Sox have a new ace. Perhaps you've heard of him, or maybe you haven't. But, he's a great pitcher. His name is Doc Crandall. He was a free agent during the off-season and Boston snatched him up. He'll be able to work wonders for Boston hopefully until 1920, barring trade or injury.

Among all this good news is again, some bad news. Red Sox third baseman, Babe Ruth, did good. However, Boston has optioned him off to double-A. He'll be closer there. If he does well enough, he could be called up by the end of this year. Boston could use his bat, and hopefully his arm if it's well enough.

Around the majors, Ty Cobb was the Most Valuable Player in the American League once again. Walter "Barney" Johnson ran away with the Pitcher of the Year Award... speaking of that award, the commissioner of baseball wants to rename it. He is considering naming it after Cy Young, Vic Willis, or "Three-Finger" Mordecai Brown. He's just been dominant. The commissioner has decided to let the fans vote on this one.

The Red Sox resigned Tris Speaker for another year. That means, he'll be staying in the best in the world playing the best game ever created for another year. Boston hopes to at least make the playoffs during said year, if possible and win a Championship. As it stands, they have two. If they win this year, they have the most championships to date. Now, a look at the Red Sox roster and rotation!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

No one wants to decide if it should be the Cy Young Award (real life), the Vic Willis Award, or the Mordecai Brown Award?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Make it the Three Finger Award. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I will, if he gets chosen. Is that your final answer?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Red Sox fans... I'm not sorry... THAT YOU CREAMED THE BROOKLYN ROBINS TO BECOME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

Boston has done it once again, lead by Ty Cobb and many unfamiliar faces. Shoeless Joe didn't really come alive this season. He did battle many injuries, but the former .300 hitter only hit .285 this year. "It's not a cause for concern," Boston management said. "If it gets to be one, we'll replace him. We already have the next-generation right fielder on our active roster. Harry Heilmann is a role-player right now, but the twenty-one year old can get it in gear if need be." The Red Sox's manager of thirteen years said.

The unfamiliar faces who lead the club were Roger Hornsby, George Sisler and Red Smith. All three of the mentioned players hit above 300. If they can keep it up through Spring Training, they will have secured their roster spot for the next five or so years. Also, Ty Cobb walked away with the Most Valuable Player Award and the former-Yankee, Chief Johnson walked away with the Pitcher of the Year award... speaking of that award, the commissioner has decided to name it in honor of Big Six, Christy Matthewson. Matthewson is still a member of the Boston Red Sox, but his career 2.21 ERA thus far proves he is the most dominant pitcher to pretty much ever play professional baseball.

"It was a hard decision to make," the commissioner said. "I wanted to choose someone who was dominant over the course of their career in more way than one. He [Big Six] was that guy. He'll end up with three hundred or so wins, putting him behind Cy Young, but overall, he'll have been the better pitcher." According to teammates of Christy, he's overjoyed to have a prestigious award named after him, but he was unavailable for comment.

Taking a look at the Red Sox Team Leaders...

Attachment:
Leaders.jpg
Leaders.jpg [ 38.82 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

You'll find that Ty Cobb is leading every hitting category, but home runs, which he tied newcomer George Sisler for. And the Pitcher of the Year, or the winner of the Big Six Award, Chief Johnson, is leading every pitching category for the Red Sox, but strikeouts. Three Finger beat him out by one strikeout, which made it impossible for Chief Johnson to walk away with a triple crown. Good for you, old Brown!

The Red Sox lost first baseman Fred Luderus to free agency, but he won't be missed. The thirty year old did nothing for Boston fans to get excited over. After Luderus left the World Series Champion Red Sox, they purchased the contract of knuckleballer Caden Horton. Horton had a very good year for the Kenyon Steel Hawks, Boston's Triple-A affiliate. In thirty-three appearances, he won twenty games, lost nine, struck out 236 and finished the year off with a ERA of 1.54. If he's able to put it all together, the young Horton should have a long and dominant career in the Majors...

Trade talks are brewing between the Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox, too. Boston is reportedly interested in acquiring top prospect, Arht Nehf.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Just by playing through the American League's history to this point is making me love baseball even more. I actually -love- an ERA where batters didn't hit fifty plus homeruns a season and ten was rare. The deadball ERA is going to end soon though. I'm gonna miss it.

I'd appreciate feedback guys, by the way. If you have a favorite player from this time period you want me to try and get if he's not on my roster, or you just want to see how he's panning out, just post. I don't bite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I'm surprised Lance is more interested in this thread than the Red Sox fans. Just so you guys know... the Yankees only have ONE playoff appearance! Boston has nine and three(?) titles up to this point!

Also, I have a serious question...

I want to have an African American on my team, but I don't want it to be Jackie Robinson. Would anyone be against me allowing Josh Gibson to play in the big leagues? Gibson would fit my style of play more for the ERA he's going to be in, and besides, this guy hit eight hundred home runs supposedly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:17 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I'm going to have to look into this game. Go for Josh Gibson since you've got Hornsby.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

lanceberkman wrote:
I'm going to have to look into this game. Go for Josh Gibson since you've got Hornsby.

The game is well worth it, trust me. I found out about it during the pre order period so I got ten dollars off. Trust me though, whether you pay thirty or forty dollars, the game is worth it. You strike me as a stat freak, so you'll like it. The game can be a tad overwhelming at first, but you'll get use to it after a few days.

http://www.braves-nation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=15862
http://baseballtalkonline.com/2009/05/o ... 10-review/
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/

That's two reviews for the game. Oh yeah, Curt Schilling also plays this game! Pretty much when he talks about fantasy baseball on his blog, he's referring to one of the online leagues in this game, but you can have a solo league, like me. You should check around the forums and play the demo of the previous version: http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi? ... downloads&

==================================================================

Also, expect an update for the next season soon. I'm going for a quick bike ride to the neighborhood pond and I'll be back inside to play. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Hey, do you know what the stats are for Ed Konetchy, 1B? He was ranked 48th at first base in Bill James's New Historical Baseball Abstract.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Longball714 wrote:
Hey, do you know what the stats are for Ed Konetchy, 1B? He was ranked 48th at first base in Bill James's New Historical Baseball Abstract.

I sure do. I have his fielding and hitting stats in front of me. I'll gladly post them for everybody to see.

Attachment:
Big Ed.jpg
Big Ed.jpg [ 175.81 KiB | Viewed 2862 times ]

His statistics thus far in the game aren't all that off from real life. If anything, if he doesn't finish with above 2000 hits like he does in real life, expect him to be on the ballot for his glove.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
what are his ratings (if any)

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Dr K wrote:
lanceberkman wrote:

The game is well worth it, trust me. I found out about it during the pre order period so I got ten dollars off. Trust me though, whether you pay thirty or forty dollars, the game is worth it. You strike me as a stat freak, so you'll like it. The game can be a tad overwhelming at first, but you'll get use to it after a few days.

http://www.braves-nation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=15862
http://baseballtalkonline.com/2009/05/o ... 10-review/
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/

That's two reviews for the game. Oh yeah, Curt Schilling also plays this game! Pretty much when he talks about fantasy baseball on his blog, he's referring to one of the online leagues in this game, but you can have a solo league, like me. You should check around the forums and play the demo of the previous version: http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi? ... downloads&

==================================================================

Also, expect an update for the next season soon. I'm going for a quick bike ride to the neighborhood pond and I'll be back inside to play. :)

If Power Pros 2009 gets cancelled I'm definitly getting this. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next