It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow Are you KIDDING ME?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
No offense But this GAME LOOKS EXACTLY AS LAST YEARS! The only real new addition was the Life mode. I loved the first 1 but wtf why isnt there wifi yet? :shock: Im not getting this,I changed my mind and am getting Mario Super Sluggers,even if it doesnt have wifi its more enjoyable :lol:

Post subject: Re: Wow Are you KIDDING ME?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Well, theres new success mode, incredibly fun and much different then last years. My life is also a huge bonus, and is also incredibly addicting.

"Almost dying changes nothing, dying changes everything." - Gregory House M.D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '08: Wii and DS
It does kinda feel like a glorified $40 roster update. The announcer says basically the same thing. The Walkoff homerun celebration is the same. The Replays at the end of game have gotten some sort of black border around for a more cinematic effect but the player of the game screen is the same. I was hoping they'd have at least changed those screens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:08 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I'm sorry, but were you guys really expecting it to be much different? I guess you were, but I knew it would be the same but with updated rosters, uniforms, success mode, and new my life mode.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and DS
Pretty much every Pawapuro game was the same way. Really, I'm not too mad about it. Granted, I was a bit peeved the boss wouldn't let me cancel my Wii version for the PS2 version which was $20.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Are you looking for gameplay? If you are this is the game for you. I don't know much about Super Sluggers but this is the best baseball game with the MLB license that you will find.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Overall I find that the biggest dissapointment lies in the inability to update the rosters through Wi-Fi. If I'm going to pay 40 dollars (Too late) for updated rosters, I want actual updated rosters, not rosters that were current when the 2007 season ended. It was the same last year, and I let them off the hook because it was their first go at the American market...But, there were just so many damn things wrong with this game last year that could have been easily fixed in 12 month's time, and they haven't been. It's frustrating. They didn't add anything fresh, besides some stupid regurgitated success mode. The fact that so much is identical and so much has been left unfixed that I really do feel cheated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:51 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
Title27GT wrote:
Overall I find that the biggest dissapointment lies in the inability to update the rosters through Wi-Fi. If I'm going to pay 40 dollars (Too late) for updated rosters, I want actual updated rosters, not rosters that were current when the 2007 season ended. It was the same last year, and I let them off the hook because it was their first go at the American market...But, there were just so many damn things wrong with this game last year that could have been easily fixed in 12 month's time, and they haven't been. It's frustrating. They didn't add anything fresh, besides some stupid regurgitated success mode. The fact that so much is identical and so much has been left unfixed that I really do feel cheated.

Then return it... problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Title27GT wrote:

Though the game looks like last years, I don't think you only paid for updated rosters. I don't understand how they didn't add anything fresh when you have the 'My Life' mode. Just like I said above, if you are looking for a fun and in-depth baseball game, even with the game being practically the same as last years, this is the probably the best baseball game with the MLB license that you'll find. I think in terms of the amount of time that you could spend with the game is worth more than the $40 that you spent.

I agree to some extent that I would have liked to see more but I'm satisfied. I'm sorry you feel that way, man :(

One last note: All sports games have rosters from the prior season of the game's release (2008 has 2007 rosters, 2007 has 2006 rosters, etc.). I haven't seen console sports games that update their rosters midseason. If I'm wrong on that, please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Console '07: Don't Own
Title27GT wrote:
If I'm going to pay 40 dollars (Too late) for updated rosters, I want actual updated rosters, not rosters that were current when the 2007 season ended.
Well, to be fair, you're actually paying for May '08 rosters.

Here's what I don't get... Everyone here knew what they were getting into with PP08, there were absolutely no secrets. Everything mentioned in this thread was known well before the game was released. If you spent $40 (or $20) on the game, only to be disappointed for the above stated reasons, perhaps you should do a little bit of research next time around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:24 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Swashbuckla wrote:
One last note: All sports games have rosters from the prior season of the game's release (2008 has 2007 rosters, 2007 has 2006 rosters, etc.). I haven't seen console sports games that update their rosters midseason. If I'm wrong on that, please let me know.

Case and point.

If they let you update rosters per the moment... would you ever buy a game that simply had updated rosters/plays/etc? Obviously it's totally doable, but the company would never make any money.

Oh, I know, SUBSCRIPTION FEES for anyone who wants to subscribe to roster updates! 19.99 a month!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

okay, I'll be sane again :mrgreen:

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
MaxDSterling wrote:
Swashbuckla wrote:

Case and point.

If they let you update rosters per the moment... would you ever buy a game that simply had updated rosters/plays/etc? Obviously it's totally doable, but the company would never make any money.

Oh, I know, SUBSCRIPTION FEES for anyone who wants to subscribe to roster updates! 19.99 a month!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

okay, I'll be sane again :mrgreen:

EA? are you talking about how they'll be introducing subscription fees?
http://kotaku.com/5030771/ea-sports-to- ... n-programs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:47 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

HA! So my idea's not original...shady... I've got an interview with EA in a few weeks....

It's more like buying Norton Anti-virus or another yearly based program. You buy the product in the store for 40 bucks (or whatever the going rate for released games are for your platform) + X bucks for registration and subscription to the updating service that will update that year's programs up to the end of the season. If you picked it up used or as a rental (thus the CD-key is used!!!) then you can pay a pro-rated Y bucks for a one-time update.

Then next time, they release the new game, a new subscription and you've got to pay the whole kaboodle all over again.

Capitalism at it's best!

Reminds me of an old cartoon, B.C. "First Christmas"

Quote:
...and we'll sell them the gifts!
And every year!
Yes! Every year we'll sell X amount of gifts to the masses. We'll call it "X-Mas"!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:33 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
Also with the whole roster update think about it

If you get a roster update every month then you would lose all the trades you would have made during the season already wouldn't you?

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:48 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

SUPACLIPA wrote:
Also with the whole roster update think about it

If you get a roster update every month then you would lose all the trades you would have made during the season already wouldn't you?

No, season mode can trade guys out, but they're saved with your season save, so you're now an isolated time event.

Kinda like running parallel universes based on the same starting point, the RL path is just one of many :D