It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post your 'builds'
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:53 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Just wanted to get a collection of 'build orders' together. I've been trying some things others have done. I'm not a big fan of the 'save reset' style of play. I can understand if you have to make that 1 super awesome player, but I like to play through. So, here is my 'build order'.

1) study the 1st 3 weeks. Save.

2) try to study the 4th time (I try once or twice - if I don't get it, I use a powerpin then study)

3) rest, and continue to study as needed until the 'job' command opens up.

4) once the job command is open, work every week until your money man is maxxed out. Buy powerpins as needed to restore vitalaty to at least green before working to maximize profits. Use challenge cards at work to get raises, and after you are taking deliveries, use marvin cards.

5) after your money man is maxed, go to the store and buy equipment that has abilities you'd like. For instance, on hitters, I almost always buy the bat that gives TRAJ + power, fielding shoes, and running shoes. For pitchers, I usually buy items that increase top speed. Make sure you learn abilities that you want to use - I usually plan on having two items to learn abilities (one for the 2nd year, one for the 3rd)

6) Practice as needed, buying powerpins as needed. I usually practice strength a lot the first year I train - since stam and power are the hardest to increase during season play (or take the longest). I tend to igore fielding abilities until the very end.

7) make sure to save after something good happens, and reset if something bad happens. Sometimes, I don't even reset - unless it's an injury or something stuipd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I do your first few steps and then I start practicing strength right away after studying the fourth time and only work when I get the tutoring job.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Tigers
I haven't had the tutoring job yet. How do you get that job option? I've done the lawn mowing (lame) the pizza place (good once you take deliveries) and I think that's it (maybe one I'm forgetting that I only got once or twice).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:14 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

To get the tutoring job:
1. Get the highest score in the class for the May exams
2. Quit your current job
3. Use a Challenge (or Yes) card when offered

There is also a Mob Job, which pays similar to tutoring, but is completely random - although, you still have to quit your other job.

The last job is as a Cafeteria worker. This is job you get, if you've quit the Pizza and Home Maintenance job, and couldn't get the other two. It only pays $80.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:26 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I've posted my usual pattern before, basically I only study until the Job command opens (February?). By then I've got Bookworm level 1. The only other studying I do the rest of the game is Annie's problems and if I get a Professor Homework event, I let the Mind Training Necklace take care of the rest (I usually hit Bookworm level 3 before the second year games, which unlocks abilities from equipment).

I try to rest in January of year 1 so that when the job becomes available I've got full vitality. Here I'll reload for "fully rested" rather than just the normal vitality boost from resting. That gives me enough vitality to work 4 times, more than enough to buy the Mind Training and Recovery necklaces when Bison shows up in March, and cover gambling tickets until Christmas (and enough to buy Annie's present). By this time it is usually a week or two after you get told you have to impress the coach to make the team, which is still plenty enough time to practice and get added to the roster. So then I start strength training. Usually by the time I get added to the roster I've had the first Annie event, so then I'll study a couple of times to get her phone number, rest to get 99 STR from hyper-recovery, and then work a couple of more times while my vitality is high enough.

After that I usually do 5 more strength training sessions and rest again (+99 STR hyper-recovery again), work a couple of more times (Money Man level 2 by now, which lowers the cost in the shop by 10%), then shift gears on my training to either Shadow Pitching (pitchers) or Swinging (position players - I think that's the one that does strength, technique, and mentality points). Once I start technique training, which is around the middle of June or so, I usually don't rest again until a couple of weeks before the year 2 games begin.

Anyway, that sort of "template" works well for me.

The-F, with not working until after the year 1 final exams do you just not worry about Bookworm or Money Man levels, or buying equipment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

He's mentioned it elsewhere, but The-F only studies up to level 2 bookworm, and probably doesn't care about moneyman. He says he doesn't bother using equipment abilities, and would just use the turns that most would spend working to train and gamble.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I actually got the tutoring job last night without having to ever go to the Pizza job, but I did get the highest score in the class(with level 2 bookworm) and it was then offered to me. That way if for some reason I finish the tutoring job and still want to work I can make decent money at the Pizza place.

As for builds, I pretty much work the same way as Wyl; I use the Swinging training and can gamble on usually Arm Strength and Fielding/E resistance after I max out Running speed Contact, which is pretty easily done around the time of the second year games because of all the extra points they give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:55 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

J-Gao wrote:
He's mentioned it elsewhere, but The-F only studies up to level 2 bookworm, and probably doesn't care about moneyman. He says he doesn't bother using equipment abilities, and would just use the turns that most would spend working to train and gamble.

How do you gamble without money for gambling tickets - do you reload for a room cleaning or shady accessories event to get a surprise bag/gambling ring earlier than Christmas year 2? Otherwise the initial $200 is only 6 gambling tickets, which would run out long before the tutoring job becomes available.

I'm just trying to understand how it works :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

He does do the tutoring job with a Challenge, and there's the $200 he starts off with. But he definitely gets the Gambling Ring by the first Christmas.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Diamondbacks
One thing that I dislike is studying that fourth time on a player without good sense early on. The wii gods have cursed me and I've never ever gotten a Gd sense player (in over 70 attempts) so I adapt without it. But the thing I dislike about studying is that I usually try to date annie, and she requires two more studies, so I'm thinking it might be beneficial to save them up, especially if you meet her early on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

You save them up for a time when you're low on vitality. That way with the in total 6 times you've studied, you should be able to get level 2 bookworm making you able to get the highest score on the exam and get the tutoring job.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject: Re: Post your 'builds'
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Currently trying to get through the game without using a turn working. For the tutoring job, the first time you're approached for it, do you get paid for that approach, and how much is it? Also, how much do you get paid for 1 turn of the tutoring job, with / without challenge card, and 0 money man.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

I figured out a sort of sneaky way to get out of working much (if at all) if you have a decent pain threshold for reloading.

Reload in November year 1 for the room cleaning event, play a Yes card and get a surprise bag. Reload until you get a "Legends of the Game" book out of the surprise bag. Bison will give you $550 for that book! So when Bison shows up in March you're already at $750 without having worked once. Buy a present for Annie so you can get her surprise bag and the gambler's ring (or another Legends book for another $550 from Bison if you want to go that route). Then use her year 3 surprise bag for another Legend's book and another $550 from Bison. So if you go for the GR in year 2, the $400 investment in presents still nets you $700 in profit from selling the $1100 worth of books.

In year 1 you need $200 for the mind training necklace + $150 for the recovery necklace + ??? for gambling tickets pre-ring = $350-$560 or so. The $750 (book + starting income) more than covers that. You need another $200 for Annie's present in year 2, so it's a bit tight working that in as well.

What if you wanted a Secrets book from the year 3 surprise bag to get an ability you can't get elsewhere? Reload somewhere along the way for a Professor's Homework event and get the Secrets book from him.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

But doesn't all this forfeit getting abilities from equipment. You don't need any moneyman level to get it, but you need $$$. You can tell if it has an ability, and all are positive.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I thought of a similar strategy to that, but i get the gamblers ring to start gambling early. The purse thief event can give you a $100 reward, then i just worked 1 day (challenge first)to have enough for the MT + recovery neck.

Yes, you won't be able to see if an item has +? abilities, but you can still gamble and try to win a game after buying one close to a game.