Post subject: Pitcher/LF combo player in progress
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:10 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
J-Gao wrote:
who you working on that needs that many upgrades, Wyl?

- starting a new thread for this rather than hijacking the original thread in the pw request forum. Thought about sending a PM, but decided it might be interesting enough for a thread. The question came after I mentioned in a password request thread that I'm stuck on my own player at the moment.

I'm working on Wes Ferrell. He's a marginal HoF candidate, but is generally considered the best hitting pitcher in MLB history who stayed a pitcher his whole career (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Ferrell). For example, in 1935 (the year I'm basing my concept of him off of) he finished second in the MVP race while leading the AL in wins (25-14 record), complete games (31), and innings pitched (322.1), and at the same time Ferrell batted .347 with 7 homers and 32 RBI in 150 at bats (.349 won the batting title, so he was right there). He holds the career homeruns by a pitcher record (38), and won almost 200 games as a starter despite pitching for crappy teams most of his career and having his career cut short by an arm injury. He did play LF for 13 games in 1933 when he had a sore arm (other than that he never played the field again - just pinch hit), so I'm giving him 2nd Position LF as well.

Anyway, the concept for Ferrell is basically a smaller scale of how we talked about exploiting GoodJob for Babe Ruth. I'm at April Week 1 in year 3, and here's what I've got so far -

Offense:
TRJ - 3
PWR - B (163)
CON - B (12)
ARM STR - B (12)
RUN SPD - D (9)
FLD - D (9)
E RES - C (10)
Abilities - Power Hitter, VS Lefty 4

Pitching:
TOP SPD - 80
STAM - B (117)
CTRL - C (135)
ORIG (PALM) - 5 + a handful of "better slow ball" upgrades (I've done so much reloading I lost count of how many of those events I actually kept, but it was at least 4-5)
CHG - 4
DCB - 2
Abilities - Gyroball, Safe Pitch, Gd Delivery, Groundball P

As you can see I've got some work to do, especially on the pitching side. I want the TOP SPD at 93-94 (he wasn't a power pitcher, but was said to have a "decent fastball"), STAM around 200, CTRL at 175, and all three breaking balls at 5.

I've got 9 turns left plus 4 games, so effectively 13 turns. I've got all my equipment so I'm done working. At this point I'm figuring that 2 successful GoodJob challenges will get my TOP SPD to 86, STAM to 157 (A), and CTRL to 175 (A). In 13 turns I should be able to add another 7 MPH on my TOP SPD, get the 4 breaking ball upgrades I need, increase CON to 14 (A), and get FLD and E RES to 12 (B). I need Recovery 4 and Slugger, but otherwise I'm pretty much fine with the abilities I've got. What I don't know is how much I'll be able to throw into STAM other than what GoodJob gives me. I think 200 is a pipe dream at this point (without a 3rd GoodJob upgrade), but maybe I can get it to at least 175.

I wish I could pickup Hothead, but I don't know how to get it. The wiki says you can get it from playing a Challenge when Marvin asks if you've been to New York, but all I've ever gotten off of it was Insomniac.

Anyway, I'm stuck reloading at this point -lol- I've only had the GoodJob event fire 3 times in roughly 3 hours (playing in small chunks over a week or so), and I'm 0-3 in challenges *sigh* I've long since decided that while I'll stick this one out to the bitter end because I have so much time invested in it already, I've well exceeded my pain threshold and I won't be trying this type of player again. Maybe I should have reloaded for a Genius to make it a bit easier, as it was I started with Standard Plus stats.

Post subject: Re: Pitcher/LF combo player in progress
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
If all you care about is getting two Goodjobs over the last 13 turns save yourself some frustration and try and get them after the World Gatherings, and Champion Rings games.

The one pitcher I made was probably the worst Success Mode experience I've had yet, but also the best player. I was able to get GJ visits the week right before the WG game(May 4) and the other two dates I mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah, seems like it's easier to get GJ (and even challenge him) on those dates. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Yeah, I'm a bit torn. The only other time I've intentionally reloaded for GoodJob was with Whitey Ford, and what happened there was that I kept getting annoyed with reloading and kept pushing back further and further the date when I'd have to just bite the bullet and reload for it. But then what happened is that after decided I'd just suffer through it after the WG game, I hit some sort of bug (I assume) where I couldn't trigger *any* random events once the third year games started. Obviously it was too late to go back since I had saved, so I was out of luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah, that must be really painful :(
But again, I think, they "turn of" any other random event after the first game started.
So far, I never got any random event except GJ during those games period.

One thing I noticed, (as I've mentioned it on GJ thread as well), is that the probability of getting GJ increases as your stamina decreases.

So, maybe, just maybe, let's say that the game automatically "turn of" any other random event, and your stamina is not low enough at that time, that would explain the seemingly bug.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

When you say your "stamina" is low or decreases, do you mean motivation? I'm not sure what you mean by stamina otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

He's talking about vitality.

And yeah, I agree with him, I've never gotten any RE other than GJ after the WG games, so you may not have run into a bug so much as you just weren't getting lucky.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:44 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

I'd be surprised if it was just simple luck, I literally reloaded ~30 times between the WG game and the start of the playoffs and between the CR game and the Superstars game. Who knows though, hard to know what is going on under the hood. I think it was Mrsims that suggested that there is a bug with the fortune rating where you can actually get too high and it have the effect of pushing you back around from "excellent" to "poor" even though the data screen says "excellent luck." That might have come into play too.

With Wes Ferrell, I don't have any luck items, but my fortune rating is definitely maxed out. In my reloading, any RE that would normally trigger an increase in fortune doesn't. However, I'm noticing that I'm actually having pretty bad luck. I decided to move on a bit and see what happens, and it's just little things that are making me suspicious. Like trying to gamble up a stat with a 41% rate and it taking 10-15 reloads to convert it, then trying to gamble up another stat with a 16% rate and it taking about 40 reloads before I got it without my gambling ring breaking. Also getting hurt between half and two thirds of tries while practicing an activity with a 30% injury rate. And I've triggered GoodJob two more times and failed both challenges again (0-5 now). So I'm thinking of reloading for an event that lowers my fortune rating and seeing if it actually *helps* the situation. It'll be an interesting experiment anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:42 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

baka_tenshi wrote:
Yeah, that must be really painful :(
But again, I think, they "turn of" any other random event after the first game started.
So far, I never got any random event except GJ during those games period.

One thing I noticed, (as I've mentioned it on GJ thread as well), is that the probability of getting GJ increases as your stamina decreases.

So, maybe, just maybe, let's say that the game automatically "turn of" any other random event, and your stamina is not low enough at that time, that would explain the seemingly bug.

I've never noticed a correlation between vitality and successful GJ events. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I've been equally successful with both low and high vitality.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I dunno, like I've said to people I know, I think this game is just cruel and that eventually the probability always evens out. For every time you get a 15% gamble on the first try you have to gamble 20 times for a 33% stat.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:00 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Thanks Mr. Sims. I was wondering about that. I thought that I had gotten Dr. G one time before when my vitality was about half way but I can't remember for sure. I don't think your luck can "roll around" either.
The more I play this game, the more I realize that it's like a slot machine, if it wants to "pay out", it will. If it doesn't then you're going to have to play it (reload) until it decides it wants to be nice. But instead of money, you must pay with time.
Although I wouldn't try to get anything good unless you have excellent luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:03 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

True, and maybe it's just that I've been playing this particular player too long :) But I'm definitely having a rash of bad luck, even when I am successful with a gamble up more often than not my gambling ring breaks. On the 16% example I gave earlier, it took 40 tries in part because I had 3 successes that broke my ring before finally getting a success that didn't.

But anyway, I'll try again tomorrow evening. The Stars-Red Wings are on in any hour, and that's going to tie up most of my night :)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Now you guys are experiencing what I went through when I made my guys. Lots of fun, right? ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Oh trust me, it's the reason I never tried to intentionally roll a genius. If I'm trying to get three Goodjobs for a normal SP, and one for a normal hitter, and they were both the best statistical and also the least fun characters to make, I imagine making a Genius would just be the best way to ween me off of this game. It's probably for the best I never roll a Genius, otherwise I'd probably kill myself S/L trying to max every stat.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:32 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Wyl wrote:
But anyway, I'll try again tomorrow evening. The Stars-Red Wings are on in any hour, and that's going to tie up most of my night :)

Sorry about Dallas.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.