Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
It's definitely possible to get a Random Event in the first week after the Champion Ring game, before the Superstars - I've got to visit Goodjob a few times in previous characters - unfortunately for the first time, so it was useless.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:30 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I've made six or seven characters so far and have only run into Dr. Goodjob a couple of times and gotten his address every time, my problem is never seeing him again. I've always gotten his address early third year, I'll have to try S/R the week after beating the CR third year to see if I can get him.

I was wondering how everyone was getting 230+ power with their characters; the max I've gotten was 198 on my last character, guess this will help(along with getting better at Success mode strategies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I suspect that the probabilities of the appearance increase as the chars get more fatigue.

I get the first event when I've been practicing like crazy for several week without rest.

Then now I'm in the 1st week of March of 3rd yrs. Still trying to reload for the 2nd event.

Managed to get it twice in 5 hrs only to fail the challenge card :evil:

Both event occurs when I used up all my stamina for training and some other event that further use up stamina occurs in between (I suspect that during that time I have negative stamina though it doesn't really show up).

Wish me luck :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:49 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Haven't seen anyone mention this, but I had a player recently who had three Dr. Goodjob visits - the initial one where I played the Yes to get his address, then the followup in March or April in year 3 where I successfully challenged, then another followup in May week 1 where I successfully challenged again (same stat boost as the previous time).

So what I don't know is if it is like the Dad original pitch arc in the sense that once you get it you can theoretically get just about as many follow ups as you've got weeks left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Interesting.

Wyl, does the Japanese forum has some info on it?

Thanks
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Wyl wrote:
Haven't seen anyone mention this, but I had a player recently who had three Dr. Goodjob visits - the initial one where I played the Yes to get his address, then the followup in March or April in year 3 where I successfully challenged, then another followup in May week 1 where I successfully challenged again (same stat boost as the previous time).

So what I don't know is if it is like the Dad original pitch arc in the sense that once you get it you can theoretically get just about as many follow ups as you've got weeks left?

That opens up the possibility of a realistic Babe Ruth with high power and high stamina - You could get the pitching side of the stats up with multiple Goodjob operations and focus completely on boosting hitting stats for the rest of the schedule.

Of course you could take it further to an all-max pitcher+hitter, though some fielder abilities (like hitter's Intimidator) are impossible to obtain as a pitcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:59 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
I'm trying to test this as well. I'm not re-doing Ruth yet, but just started on Wes Ferrell (usually considered the best hitting pitcher who remained a pitcher his whole career).

What's the earliest someone has gotten the first Goodjob visit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

You can run into GJ as much as you please.

"Post your Characters" thread, page 15

There's no way you could max-out a player without several GJ.

Odawali, I was actually going to make a hitter/pitcher like you described before I left. I've got a genius saved at the first week of success mode but I doubt I'll use him now. I was mapping it out and it looks like maxed stats for both pitcher and hitter would be near impossible but you could get close. Of course the pitching stats would be obtained strictly from GJ, leaving you to gain all your pitching/hitting abilities plus hitting stats from REs and practice. The only thing that looks like a problem is max power at 255. Getting an A though doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, and if everything else is maxed then I guess that's just being picky. But you would have to cut back on abilities too. Imagine making a maxed-out hitter but you have to obtain a bunch of pitching abilities too; that's basically what you would be doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:06 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Wyl wrote:

What's the earliest someone has gotten the first Goodjob visit?

Wk 4, Nov, Yr 2 is the earliest he'll come by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:33 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
mrsims31 wrote:
You can run into GJ as much as you please.

"Post your Characters" thread, page 15

There's no way you could max-out a player without several GJ.

Odawali, I was actually going to make a hitter/pitcher like you described before I left. I've got a genius saved at the first week of success mode but I doubt I'll use him now. I was mapping it out and it looks like maxed stats for both pitcher and hitter would be near impossible but you could get close. Of course the pitching stats would be obtained strictly from GJ, leaving you to gain all your pitching/hitting abilities plus hitting stats from REs and practice. The only thing that looks like a problem is max power at 255. Getting an A though doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, and if everything else is maxed then I guess that's just being picky. But you would have to cut back on abilities too. Imagine making a maxed-out hitter but you have to obtain a bunch of pitching abilities too; that's basically what you would be doing.

Hey, good to see you back!

I guess I'll settle for a realistic Ruth then ;) I don't think we need that many hitting abilities, just standard slugger abilities like Power Hitter, Pull Hitter etc and Hitting Power at 200-220 sounds good enough (I'm a believer that today's athletes are more fit & stronger through improved nutrition and training). Hitter's Intimidator is the real killer though. Ah well, that's what makes that ability so great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
I always get an original pitch from dad, but can never seem to get Dr. Goodjob.

Do you think the Dad RE's are getting in the way of the Dr.'s appearances?

I can remember getting Goodjob before when I made a couple of fielders and never got dad to train me back then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:14 am 
Rookie
Rookie

No, I don't think so.
I've got Dad to train me twice (after the first GJ visit), and I still get his second visit (though failing the challenge card).

mrsims31, do you suggest to sell all the luck booster items once we reach excellent luck?
I am still struggling to get another GJ event (the second visit).
I might try to advance until Bison's shows up and sell my luck necklace and see what happens afterwards :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Goodjob is a pain!

I got him to show up yr 3 Jan and got his number. I then reloaded the next day and about the 9th or 10th time I went to his house, only to fail. I thought... this will be easy it only took about ten reloads to get him. Well I continued to reload, and an hour and a half passed, and no more Goodjob. Very ANGRY.

Hopefully when I finally do succeed it makes it easier to visit him the next time.

I might try selling my fortune and goddess necklace as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:21 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

baka_tenshi wrote:
No, I don't think so.
I've got Dad to train me twice (after the first GJ visit), and I still get his second visit (though failing the challenge card).

mrsims31, do you suggest to sell all the luck booster items once we reach excellent luck?
I am still struggling to get another GJ event (the second visit).
I might try to advance until Bison's shows up and sell my luck necklace and see what happens afterwards :)

Yes, I would get rid of all items that increase luck. I've only had the one run through success mode where I tested this though, so take this information for what it is. One could argue that more testing needs to be done (and to an extent I would agree with this), but the amount of reloading that took place during that run was enough of a sample to make me a believer in the post I referred to earlier.

I also trained with dad several times during this run, and GJ didn't seem any more difficult to come by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

odawali wrote:
Hey, good to see you back!

I guess I'll settle for a realistic Ruth then ;) I don't think we need that many hitting abilities, just standard slugger abilities like Power Hitter, Pull Hitter etc and Hitting Power at 200-220 sounds good enough (I'm a believer that today's athletes are more fit & stronger through improved nutrition and training). Hitter's Intimidator is the real killer though. Ah well, that's what makes that ability so great.

Thanks.... always a pleasure.

The other problem I discussed with JGao and MarvinCard concerning making a player like this is that he would have to be a closer. If he were a starter I don't see how the fatigue and morale system would allow you to play him everyday. Any thoughts on how to get around this and still make him a starter?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next