Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This subforum is strictly for the creation of self-made works of our members.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The American Baseball Organization - An OOTP16/17 Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:36 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009

January 1, 2016
New Baseball League Forms in America

SEATTLE, WA (NAP) - The USA has a new baseball league.

In Seattle today it was announced that the American Baseball Organization (whose official informal logo is shown at the top of this post) would begin operations from the Emerald City at the noon hour. The Commissioner of the ABO said that this league will "not be competing with MLB in the slightest." The commissioner added, "In fact, think of us as a separate entity, like a Major League Baseball-meets-Independent League sort of thing." Along with the league offices, there will be a team in Seattle, with video game magnate Kikaku Ozaki as their owner.

When asked why he started the league, the Commissioner said, "I've always liked to be able to run a sports league, and this felt like a good time to start one up and see what happens."

The Inaugural Draft, the Commissioner said, has already happened, and we will give breakdowns of all 24 teams in the league. The teams will be located all around the United States, even in places you may not expect there to be baseball. The breakdown of the league and divisions are as follows:

Atlantic Conference
Coastal Division

Annapolis Angels
Brooklyn Sabres
Cape Cod Beacons
Charleston Palmettos
Key West Hurricane
Orlando Wizards

Central Division

Chicagoland Skyliners
Grand Rapids Whitecaps
Indianapolis Hoosiers
Kalamazoo Brewers
Nashville Music
Sandusky Beagles

Pacific Conference
Coastal Division

Anchorage Ice Devils
Hollywood Stars
Honolulu Tropics
Las Vegas Gamblers
San Diego Surge
Seattle Sounders BC

Central Division

Arlington Blaze
Boise Apples
Glendale Copperheads
New Orleans Krewe
Salt Lake City Bengals
San Antonio Sharks

It's going to be a fun inaugural season in the ABO, and, once again, we'll have full coverage of each team's quest to become the champion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know, kind of a stinky opening, but I figured that this will probably suffice.

Like the "article" states, I'll give a runthrough of all the teams, but I won't actually be controlling any of the teams. In fact, I'm already simming through Spring Training as we speak. This should be an interesting log, IMO, so stay tuned for updates! Next posts will go division-by-division, team-by-team, detailing general information and key players.

Who are you rooting for? Let me know in the thread, as well!

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

Post subject: Re: The American Baseball Organization - An OOTP16 Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Dishnet34 wrote:
I know, kind of a stinky opening, but I figured that this will probably suffice.

Not really, looks great! Let's go Skyliners!

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '08: Wii and DS
Let's go Sandusky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:37 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
Go sharks, dont suck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

ABO DIVISIONAL BREAKDOWN
Part 1 - Atlantic Conference, Coastal Division

Projected Standings

Annapolis Angels

Stadium: Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Park (Link takes you to picture of park)
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Angels received the 8th overall pick in the draft, and used it on one of the better SS's in the ABO, Gavin Worsley (4*/4*). He won't hit for power too much, but he'll make solid contact, field his position OK, and be one of the top base-stealing threats in the league. Their ace is 31-year old Chilean Mario Hernandez (4*/4*), who they selected in the 4th round. Outside of them, closer Micah Grummitt (5*/5*), and top prospects Marvin Shanks (LF, 4*/4*) and Wendell Hooks (SP, 2.5*/4.5*), this team doesn't have a good amount of promise, with only 4 players with an overall of 4* or better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brooklyn Sabres

Stadium: Polo Grounds II
Main Jersey:

Analysis: Because of the stadium they will be playing in, expect a lot of dingers with this team; 6 players have an OSA power rating of 14 or higher. One of those players was their first round pick (22nd overall), CF Jose Contreras (4*/4*). Him, along with 34-year old RF Harold Clow (4.5*/4.5*), will make one of the top 2 power threats in this lineup. Their ace is 37-year old Texas native Jim Mahoney (4.5*/4.5*), who has a highly rated slider and is slated to be one of the top control pitchers in the league. His groundball tendency should help his cause as well. 25-year old C Michael Baker (3*/3*), their top prospect*, will be a name to watch, starting at C for this unit.
Cape Cod Beacons

Stadium: Gorton's Stadium
Main Jersey:

Analysis: With the 23rd pick, the Beacons got their star player, SP Ramon Vazquez (4.5*/4.5*). The rotation is slated to be the best in the division, with 38-year old Shaun Carter (4.5*/4.5*) being a solid #2 behind him. This rotation, along with 26-year old RF John Fritz (5*/5*), a solid hitter who has a rocket arm in the OF, will lead this team. The supporting cast, however, is ranked by OSA in the bottom half of the league at every position, which in the case of the deep closing group the entire league has, can be unfair. One of the younger finishers in the ABO, 25-year old Kade Mangan (4.5*/4.5*), is a solid option to have as a closer, with a plus-plus fastball, and a plus curve to finish them off. Overall, if the hitting can exceed expectations, this team can contend for a wild card spot.
Charleston Palmettos

Stadium: Joseph P. Riley Jr. Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Palmettos were fortunate enough to get the 4th overall pick, which they used on who OSA calls the top 2B in the ABO, 24-year old Carl Morris (5*/5*). He has great all-around hitting skills, but his defense is only slightly above average. Ace pitcher Jyri Nurmi (4.5*/4.5*) has great control of his pitches, plus is in the process of developing a changeup. At 25, he can only get better. 31-year old closer Rhys Donovan (5*/5*) is statistically projected to be the best closer in the Atlantic Conference. Dingers will mostly be provided by Morris, and 3B Chester Ramsey (2.5*/2.5*), who has 17 power according to OSA, but will probably struggle to make contact.
Key West Hurricane

Stadium: Southernmost Point
Main Jersey:

Analysis: Balls will probably fly out to all fields, as Southernmost Point has one of the shorter porches to CF in the ABO (approx. 365 ft). However, with the amount of power supplied by the Hurricane, that'll mostly come from the opposing team. Only two players, C Jean-Marc Faure (5*/5*) and 3B Antonio Vazquez (3*/3*) have power ratings at or above 13. Faure is considered to be the best-hitting C in the league, but at 37, he's bound to go through a decline this season. Their first round selection (7th overall) follows the mold of a few hitters in the Hurricane lineup, 29-year old 2B Evan Hensball (4*/4*). He doesn't have any power, but has excellent on-base skills, slightly above-average defense, and is one of the best baserunners, base stealers, and bunters in the league, which will work well with manager Peter Bentley's smallball style of baseball. Their rotation is led by 336-year old Ron Bunch, who can best be described as a 4th starter masquerading as an ace. #2 starter Isaac Walls is better, but is 39, and due for more decline. They're hoping that prospect Rod Kennedy (.5*/4.5*) can mature quickly in the Prep League and fill a rotation spot in the next year or two.
Orlando Wizards

Stadium: ESPN Field at Disney's Wide World of Sports (Link restrictions lead me to posting the stadium here)

Main Jersey:

Analysis: The local Kinkos will be getting a lot of business printing out K sheets. The pitching staff for the Wizards, and in particular the bullpen, will be racking up a lot of them this season. Led by closer Bobby Davis (5*/5*), this bullpen unit for the Wizards can easily rival the Kansas City Royals' bullpen in MLB on paper. 5 of their relievers could conceivably be a closer for any other team in the league, having Stuff ratings of over 17, and good control on all of them, too. Their rotation is no slouch, either. Led by Anatolii Karmakov (4.5*/4.5*), games will be shortened very easily. Their first round selection (18th overall) was 21-year old 1B phenom Ramu Pratima (4*/4*), who has above average hitting abilities, but nothing that wows you. However, that wow factor goes to their second round selection, 30-year old SS Sergio Marroquin (4.5*/4.5*). Like a lot of SS's in the league, he doesn't have too much power, but has great contact ability, a great eye, and can play solid defense. Overall, all but four of their projected starters in the field and on the pitching staff are ranked in the bottom half of the league. Expect the road to the championship to go through ESPN Field this season.

How did you like this writeup? What can I do to improve it? Let me know!

Next write-up: AC Central Division!

*Everybody in the league is set to 0 service time in the ABO, so players under 25 are considered "prospects".

"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
writeup is nice, I like the look at the stadiums as well

ratings are 1-20 right? and are those wizards unis based on the ol' fort wayne wizards?

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I've been to the Wide World of Sports Complex before, pretty nice place. This should be a pretty tight division. I'm pulling for the Wizards!

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

AgentP wrote:
writeup is nice, I like the look at the stadiums as well

ratings are 1-20 right? and are those wizards unis based on the ol' fort wayne wizards?

Yes, the ratings are 1-20, and it appears the jerseys are loosely based on the Fort Wayne Wizards! Good catch; I didn't notice that before.

GoTwins24 wrote:
I've been to the Wide World of Sports Complex before, pretty nice place. This should be a pretty tight division. I'm pulling for the Wizards!
Awesome! I almost broke from my choir group on a Disney World trip and went to a Spring Training game there when the Tigers were in town, but decided not to, and ultimately, was a good decision. Downpoured later that day, and canceled the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

ABO DIVISIONAL BREAKDOWN
Part 2 - Atlantic Conference, Central Division

Projected Standings

Chicagoland Skyliners

Stadium: Daly Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: This team is projected to score the 3rd-most runs in the Atlantic Conference, and there's good reason to think they can accomplish that, and more. Their three best hitters are a modern day Bash Brothers: their first round (16th overall) pick, 26-year old 3B Juan Ramirez (5*/5*), second round pick, 33-year old LF Carlos Gonzalez (5*/5*), and eighth round pick, 36-year old CF Alfred Lampe (4.5*/4.5*). All three guys can hit the ball, drive the ball out of the park, and even field their position well. In fact, Ramirez is considered the best defensive 3B in the league. With that emphasis on offense, however, the rotation leaves a little bit to be desired. Their entire rotation is made up of mid-rotation starters, led by 41-year old fogie Leonard French (3.5*/3.5*). All their available starters are over the age of 30, and there's not a lot of help coming in the pipeline. In fact, their farm system is ranked 22nd in the league, with only division-mates Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo having worse systems. Finally, their excellent bullpen is only rivaled by Orlando's bullpen, led by setup man Albert Abeele (5*/5*) and closer Cal Harding (5*/5*), the first relief pitcher overall to go off the board in the inaugural draft. Can their excellent hitting and bullpen overcome their starting pitching enough to make it to the playoffs?
Grand Rapids Whitecaps

Stadium: Frederick Meijer Gardens
Main Jersey:

Analysis: OSA projects this team to have a .500 record, and honestly, that's about right, considering the talent this team has. This team is very middle-of-the-road in many aspects, but 29-year old Jamaican RF Dylan Capel (4*/4.5*) is the bright spot on this roster, being selected with their 1st round pick (3rd overall). He is being compared to Alex Gordon of MLB's Kansas City Royals in terms of his skills. He'll rarely make an error on balls in RF that he can get to, as he only has an 11 in range, but 20's in both Arm and Error. As for their pitchers, you'll love this staff if you're a RH hitter: all but 4 pitchers in their projected Opening Day roster are left-handed. One of those righties, 33-year old ace Warren Redelius (4.5*/4.5*), could be a pretty good pitcher for them. Their bullpen, however, is ranked 16th for RPs and 24th for their closer, 29-year old Fernando Rodriguez (3.5*/3.5*), who has the death knell of many OOTP pitchers: more movement than stuff, especially when it's only slightly above average for both. With not a lot coming up through the pipeline, it'll hard to get a gauge on how GR can perform this season on the field, and the paper makes it even tougher.
Indianapolis Hoosiers

Stadium: Franco Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Hoosiers are gonna be gambling a lot on the basepaths this year, being projected to steal the most bases in the Atlantic Conference. Speed is the name of this team's game, and with that philosophy, at least one thing needs to be neglected. And that one thing is power. Only 3 projected regulars have a power rating above a 10, and their "slugger", 32-year old 2B Jamy Waasdorp (2*/2*), has a power rating of just 13. However, this team can be tough on opposing pitchers, and has the potential to strike out the fewest of all the teams in the conference, if not the league, and can knock it in the gaps, which can help with the spacious parks in the Atlantic Conference. Their best player at making pitchers go bonkers is their first round selection (15th overall), 3B Felipe Medrano (4*/4*). Their rotation is led by one of the best young pitchers in the league, 21-year old southpaw Tim Kearney (4.5*/4.5*). He can dial it up to 96-98mph, and has four plus pitches to go along with that. Their projected bullpen is, suffice it to say, not good. Their closer, Chris Turner (4.5*/4.5*) is rated 19th in the league, but the guys behind him are not who you'd want in a bullpen. They could figure it out and make a run at the wild card, but they may be on the outside looking in at the end of the season.
Kalamazoo Brewers

Stadium: Pfizer Field
Main Jersey:

Analysis: Surprisingly, OSA projects the best team in the league to not come from the extremely deep Pacific Conference, but this team. With this team's makeup, however, it's easy to see why. It starts at the top, with their 3B, 37-year old - *prepares typing fingers* - Baddharajya Surujnarine (5*/5*), who will probably easily get over a .400 OBP and a .300 AVG, albeit with little power. He has speed as well, and is projected to steal 40 bases. 2B Martin Kerswell (4*/4*) and C Diego Castillo (4*/4*) can knock the ball out of the very intimate Pfizer Field. Looking to keep the balls from flying out from the opposition is a solid pitching staff, led by 26-year old starter Diego Castillo (5*/5*), rated as the best SP in the ABO, and projected to win 17 games, and is anchored in the 9th by 39-year old Jorge Santana (5*/5*). The bullpen is solid as well, but not as elite as the Chicagolands and Orlandos of the world are concerned. However, setup man Charlie Brown (4.5*/4.5*) is rated #10 in the league among RPs (not including closers). If there's one weakness to point to, it is the outfield, with left-center-right being ranked 12th-22nd-17th by OSA, respectively. However, manager Errol Stone's team can definitely make a run to the top of the tables in their inaugural season.
Nashville Music

Stadium: Bridgestone Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: This team is one of the most talented last-place projections in the ABO. Heck, this division is pretty deep, and any team could make a surprising run, including the Music. Their star player can't even legally drink yet, that being 20-year old C Mike Arnold (4*/5*). He is being seriously compared as a combination between Buster Posey with the bat and Yadier Molina behind the plate. The Music's first round draft pick (13th overall) is surprisingly one of the leaders of this club, and is easily the best defensive C in the ABO* (and one of the best hitting C's, too.) 32-year old CF Michael de Lange (5*/5*) can hit, field, and run, and is the second-best CF in the ABO, according to OSA. Their rotation doesn't slouch too much, with 24-year old righty Don Larnin (4.5*/4.5*) leading the charge. Having some of the best stuff of any SP, control might be a problem for him, so Arnold has his work cut out for him. As for the bullpen, they will probably have their moments, but shouldn't be god-awful either, with their RPs ranked 11th, and their CL ranked 16th. Helping them out is a farm system ranked 3rd in the league, with RP Bill Brown (4*/5*) and C Royce Moody (.5*/3*) being 2 of their top 5 prospects. This team has the talent to make a run at a wild card spot, but in this division? It'll be a dogfight.
Sandusky Beagles

Stadium: Peanuts Park at Cedar Point

Main Jersey:

Analysis: This team is OK. Let me elaborate on that: This team is just OK. Only two players really stand out from the crowd, that being 1B and first round pick (12th overall) Brencis Dahin (5*/5*). He has prodigious power at 26 years old, and can hit for average a little bit, too. The other player is 34-year old RF Chris Hebert (4.5*/4.5*), who can hit but not do a whole lot else. Their ace, 25-year old Abram Mahtiev, has good control, good stuff, and a plus curveball. Overall, though, their projected position players are all ranked in the middle of the road. As for their farm system, 18-year old reliever prospect Ellis Kenelm (.5*/4*) is a name to watch. Average teams can and do make it to the Championship, but will this average team do the same?
Hope you enjoyed this edition of the ABO Division Breakdowns! Who do you think will win the division?

Next write-up: Pacific Conference, Central Division!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

ABO DIVISIONAL BREAKDOWN
Part 3 - Pacific Conference, Central Division

Projected Standings

Arlington Blaze

Stadium: Wagonman Stadium
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Blaze, compared to other teams in the Conference, have one of the most spacious parks (345 to both lines, the longest distances down the lines in the league), which might hinder their power-heavy offense a little bit, but with the other intimate parks (where there are a good number of in the PC), the dingers will still fly regularly. The Blaze have a lot of big boppers in their projected lineup, led by starting catcher Parker Martin (5*/5*). The 28-year old first round selection by Arlington (14th overall) is one of the few good defensive catchers in the league that can also hit as well. Because of their focus on chicks digging them, there is an underlying truth: a pack of snails could out-run them on the basepaths. They're only projected to steal a whopping five stolen bases in their whole lineup, basically the antithesis of the Indianapolis Hoosiers. Their rotation is a good rotation, led by 30-year old Fernando Batista (4.5*/4.5*), who may be prone to giving up dingers, but has good stuff and good control. They also have a good bullpen, that can finish games well, with closer Hal Burton (5*/5*) projected to save the most games in the ABO, with 42. In fact, you may not believe this, but they are projected to strike out the 2nd-most batters in the ABO, only rivaled by Las Vegas. A cool story to watch his how 43-year old RP Charles Patton (2.5*/2.5*) does in what is probably his only season in the ABO. The Blaze are a good bet to win the division on paper, and it'll be a shock if they miss the playoffs.
Boise Apples

Stadium: GreenApples Stadium
Main Jersey:

Analysis: This offense is gonna put up a lot of crooked numbers, predicted to score the most runs in the league. They will probably take opposing left-handers to the woodshed, with 8 of their 9 hitters being right-handed. In most cases, that'd be enough to win you at least the division, having a Timmo Atteveld (5*/5*) in CF and a Frode Meerkerk (4.5*/4.5*) at 2B. However, outside of their 2 starting pitchers, the rest of their pitching staff looks awfully resemblatory of a burning Waste Management recepticle. Their projected team ERA of 5.07 is the second-highest in the entire league, just 8 hundredths behind division-mate Salt Lake City. Despite that, they do have a couple good pitchers in their staff, including their ace, 29-year old Hunter McIntyre (4.5*/4.5*). Other names to look out for on this team are 3B Ivan Aviles (4.5*/4.5*) and 25-year old 1B Luis Ruiz (4*/4*), who they took with their first round pick (21st overall).
Glendale Copperheads

Stadium: Tostitos Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The architects of the Copperheads' stadium tried their darnedest to keep balls from carelessly flying out the park, what with a 450-foot distance to center field, 340 down the lines, and 15-foot high walls. However, this is still Arizona, this is still a humid-as-hell area of the country, and this can still be a park where the ball more often than not will need FAA clearance. One of the players that will probably be investigated by the feds is RF Dave Hammond (4*/4*), who can absolutely kill a ball (17 power rating)...when he actually connects with the ball to do so. This guy's OBP is probably gonna be below .300, with a crap-ton of strikeouts, but with his power prowess, the SLG% will probably be upwards of .400. Helps that he can play defense pretty good in the spacious confines of Tostitos Park. Their current CF right now is 34-year old Craig Hudson (5*/5*), who is good in his own right, but in the next two or three years, expect that spot to be taken up by one of their better prospects at the position, 24-year old switch-hitting Englishman Ewan Baggerly (1*/2.5*). Baggerly will have the defensive capabilities to play CF in Glendale, but questions remain about how his bat will play. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the Prep League this year. As for their pitching, their star pitcher is their first round (9th overall) pick, Sherman Lewis. Lewis has absolutely filthy stuff, who will be gunning for the top strikeout marks in the league, with his nasty Forkball-Change combo. Their bullpen is rated as average, and ultimately, that could be the difference between a potential wild card spot and missing the playoffs entirely.
New Orleans Krewe

Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Main Jersey:

Analysis: There's an old saying in baseball that goes something like this: "You may run like Mays, but you hit like-" well, you know the rest. This is the Pacific Division's answer to the Indianapolis Hoosiers in terms of playing style, except with a few more dingers. Their projected 177 stolen bases, most of them probably coming from the 9-1 combo of 3B Juan Mora (1*/2*) and CF Toby Newey (3.5*/3.5*), are the most in the ABO. Most of the guys in the lineup, save for 2B Raul Trejo (5*/5*, picked 6th overall), promising young SS Carroll Hammond (2.5*/4*) and maybe C Laurent Dumont (3.5*/3.5*), can't put consistent barrel on the ball. Their speed may help them erk out a few extra infield hits here and there, and could even sneak into the wildcard slot if they're lucky. Their rotation has 2 promising pitchers that could help them this year and beyond. 22-year old Jose Guzman (3*/5*) could play a pivotal role in the #2 spot in the rotation, throwing absolute gas at 96-98, and 31-year old 4th starter Pablo Damhuis (4*/4*), who has a plus-plus changeup, but a medicore curve and circle change is probably why he's not leading this rotation. They have an above-average bullpen to go along with it as well, anchored by closer Donald Middlemas (5*/5*), who is one of the hardest throwers in the league. Again, this team can contend for a playoff spot, but will they?
Salt Lake City Bengals

Stadium: Sinclair Stadium
Main Jersey:

Analysis: Well, this team did at least one thing right: they got the 1B with one of the best bats in the game in first round selection (10th overall), 26-year old Frederick Gonzalez (5*/5* with 20 (!) power and 13 contact), but other than that, the Bengals, from my perspective, look like a huge flaming pile of NOPE. There are a couple other decent hitters in the lineup in LF/DH Stuart Berriman (3.5*/3.5*), CF Karol Mertens (3.5*/3.5*), and 2B Manuel Lopez (1.5*/1.5*), but this looks like a major rebuilding project from the get-go. They will have the young talent to try and do that, with Gonzalez and 23-year old 3B Michael Evans (1*/3.5*), but if their pitching doesn't improve outside of starter Chris Hammons (4*/4.5*), this team will be going nowhere for the next few years. Their closer, Jose Garcia (5*/5*) is one of the few bright spots on this staff. The cellar of the division, the conference, and maybe the league, may be imminent.
San Antonio Sharks

Stadium: Main Street Field

Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Sharks will more than likely compete with their in-state rivals in Arlington for the PC Central Crown this year, and they have the talent to perhaps overtake them in that regard. The Sharks are a very balanced team, with a mix of power, speed and defense at its disposal, and you can find all of those in RF Carl Hoover (4*/4*). He is a great defender in RF, can hit for power, and can run a little bit, too. The Sharks' second round selection of SS Bill Jarvis (4.5*/4.5*) was also highly praised in the draft room, and LF Jack Allen (4*/4* with excellent speed) will be a name to watch in the near future, as well. If you can find a weakness with this team, though, it's the rest of the infield outside of Jarvis, who are ranked in the bottom third in the league at 1B, 2B, and 3B by OSA. As for their pitching staff, it is led by their first round pick (5th overall) Morgan Fowles (5*/5*), who has a nasty fastball-curve-splitter repertoire than can damage the souls of opposing hitters. Their closer, Carlos Mendez, is above average, but not quite in the company of the elite closers in the league at 36 years old. The Sharks have the talent to make a run at the division crown, and at worse, the wildcard slot.
Hopefully you enjoyed this ABO Division Breakdown! The last installment will come out tomorrow with the Pacific Conference's Coastal Division!

Who do you think will win the PC Central? Leave a response in the thread!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

All these divisions look like a close race so far! Can't wait for this to start!

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:23 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
those are some...interesting stadiums

rooting for the blaze, obviously, in addition to the wizards

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:54 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

ABO DIVISIONAL BREAKDOWN
Part 4 - Pacific Conference, Coastal Division

Projected Standings

Anchorage Ice Devils

Stadium: Conoco-Phillips Field
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Ice Devils' home park is not gonna give up a lot of homers, and the projected stats for them reflect that well. However, that doesn't mean they won't play well. Their team is built for their ballpark, with more than a few guys that can hit the ball in the gaps of this stadium, rather than hit the longball. However, if an Ice Devils player does hit a home run in this park, more than likely it will come from their first round (20th overall) pick, 1B Chris Pryor (4*/4*). The 27-year old will probably strike out a little bit, but can hit for average and power as well. Their RF, Joe Barnes (4*/4*), and their starting 41-year old 2B Rio Bice (4*/4*) are names to watch in this lineup, as well as their 22-year old infield prospect Aldomiro Picano (1*/3.5*), whose calling card is exceptional defense, and can play literally anywhere on the field. As for the pitching staff, the Ice Devils are very well set, with 37-year old Conor Wheaton (4.5*/4.5*) leading the way as the rotation's ace veteran, and an interesting 21-year old from Japan (that I edited in perfectly into this world), Shohei Otani (2.5*/5*), as their #2 guy. Otani is a well-regarded pitcher making the jump from Japan to the ABO, and he can dial it up on the radar gun, going as high as 100mph. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in their rotation. For their bullpen, they could be porous at times. Kyle Baxter (5*/5*), the Ice Devil closer, will have his ups and downs, as will 38-year old setup man Jesse Childress (4.5*/4.5*). However, one guy they're excited about down on the farm for the pen is Jack Holland (.5*/4.5*). The 20-year old is quietly developing a plus-plus changeup, and should benefit from 2 or so years in the Prep League. With a team that fits their ballpark, and good young talent, the Ice Devils could compete for one of the PC's wildcard slots as early as this year.
Hollywood Stars

Stadium: The Porch
Main Jersey:

Analysis: When I was watching the auto-draft for this team, I thought they had done a good, not great, job with who they decided to pick. Apparently, OSA is not as high on them as I was when seeing who they were picking. However, this looks to be an EXTREMELY young team, as only 6 players they drafted in the inaugural draft are at or above the age of 30. The average age of this organization's 55 players is only a smidge below 25 years old, and one of the veterans leading this team is their 38-year old RF, Jose Gonzales (5*/5*), who is a pretty good hitter and fielder, and who will definitely be one of the best players on this team. Among their young talent is 27-year old LF Robinson Patino (5*/5*) and 25-year old SS Zak Day (3*/3*) in the field, and on the pitching staff, 23-year old Panas Polovko (4.5*/4.5*), their first round (19th overall) selection, will lead their rotation, and he should be one of the better young pitchers in the league. His fastball is definitely his best pitch, and has good offerings on his breaking stuff: his curve, slider, and forkball. Their bullpen anchors, Harrison Douglass (4*/4*), John Allen (4.5*/5*), and 36-year old lefty Tom Thomas (4*/4*), are good pitchers in their own right, but the rest of the bullpen kinda sorta sucks. This will probably be a building year for the Stars, but their youth could spark at most a 3rd place finish if things go right.
Honolulu Tropics

Stadium: Rainbow Beach Stadium
Main Jersey:

Analysis: The ball will be jumping out of this stadium with its very intimate dimensions, despite the Pacific Ocean wind blowing directly in to the ballpark from less than a quarter mile away. The players doing the mashing will be LF David Morel (4.5*/4.5* with 19 power) and 1B Jaime Robles (4*/4*), although neither will hit for average that much, and strike out often. 3B Ijsbrand Langeman (4.5*/4.5*) will be another name to watch, as his balance of contact and power is sorely needed with this lineup. Because of this tendency, along with their top-tier pitching staff, led by 25-year old ace Jeff Rogers (4.5*/4.5*) (their first round pick, 17th overall) and superstar setup man Alexandre Rodriguez (5*/5* with 19/20 stuff, 17 movement, and 16 control), this team has the best chance out of all the teams in the division to win the Coastal. They could make a deep playoff run if they make it, but their run will go as far as their hitting goes.
Las Vegas Gamblers

Stadium: Panpaka Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: This is one of the most unique parks in the ABO, and for more than one reason. One is the absurdly high wall in left-center field (30 feet) that, coupled with the distance to said wall (424 feet), will be exceptionally susceptible to triples and perhaps inside-the-park jobs if you don't have a good defensive left fielder out there. The Gamblers do not necessarily have that, so cue the Yakety Sax music for anything hit over the head of LF Greg Shepard (4*/4*). One hitter on this team that could conceivably clear that wall (or hit it into the fabled Lucky Pocket, for all we know) is RF Gerard Roux (5*/5*), who has 18/19 on his power rating, but only 10 on his contact, so he'd need to really lay into one to hit it over that wall. Las Vegas' first round selection (24th overall), C Jorge Valenzuela (4.5*/4.5*) could help with the bat and be a consistent(ly meh) catcher, as well. In the rotation, Scott Spaan (4.5*/4.5*) leads the way, with his circle-change being his best pitch, and one of the best closers in the ABO, Paco Parita will probably compete for the most saves in the league. This team overall has the talent to go places, but whether or not they do is up to the luck of the draw.
San Diego Surge

Stadium: San Diego County Credit Union Park
Main Jersey:

Analysis: This team was lucky to secure the first overall pick of the league, and used it on one of the best players in the ABO, 25-year old LF/SS Steve Adams (5*/5*). He's got all 5 tools in his pocket: hit, power, run, field, and throw. His natural position is LF, but the Surge seem content with putting him at SS for the season. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. We'll see if it pays off. Adams' double play partner, Quebec native Bob Carter (4*/4*) has great defense at the keystone position, and can even hit a little bit, too. 3B Hilton Avery (4*/4*) is a huge power threat as well, but this team's strength is its farm system, ranked #1 in the league. Lead by Adams, major relief prospect Pavla Kachinsky (.5*/5*), and 3B prospect Lyndon Dowse (1*/5*) are some of the top prospects in the entire league, and should help San Diego in the next few years. Their best pitcher is their closer, Felix Benavides (5*/5*), and outside of him, the pitching staff could use a little bit of work. If the offense (which is meh outside of Adams, Carter, and Avery) can step up, this team could make a run at at least a wildcard spot.
Seattle Sounders BC

Stadium: Amazon Prime Park

Main Jersey:

Analysis: The Sounders' prime player, positionally, is their first round selection (2nd overall), 2B Liam Shearer (5*/5*). If it wasn't for Steve Adams, and Shearer's running abilities, he'd be the best all-around player in the ABO. Alas, his defensive ability is a bit less than Adams, and Shearer can't run at all. But man, can he sock the ball. A prediction of >35 dingers is certainly reasonable for him. Seattle's other intriguing name to watch is 33-year old Holden Turner (5*/5*). Turner has good defensive abilities, is excellent on the basepaths, and can hit very well, as well as get on base. He may not have as much dinger touch as Shearer, but he can certainly send out 25 or more this season. Their #1 rotation guy, David Metherall (4.5*/4.5*) is certainly serviceable, but doesn't have the "wow" factor of a lot of the other aces in this division. His cutter could save him from a lot of jams this season, though. A prospect worth keeping an eye on is one that's just getting his feet wet in the Prep League. That would be 17-year old Aussie Tim MacKay (.5*/4.5*). He is one of only two pitchers in the ABO to throw a knuckleball, and if things go well in his development, it could be one of the nastiest pitches in the league. Alas, he's more than 3 or 4 years away from even sniffing the big league level at this point, and doesn't even have a fastball in his pitch repertoire. He'll need a ton of seasoning before he makes it. Their bullpen is middling, but the combination of 41-year old setup man Paul Cole (3.5*/3.5*) and 35-year old closer Daniel Jackson (5*/5*) could surprise some people this season. They'll need a lot of help to make the postseason, and may have an outside shot at a wildcard, but just barely.

That does it for the ABO Divisional Breakdown series! This part was a lot of fun to make, but the real fun begins soon, when I sim through Spring and get right to the regular season! It won't happen tomorrow, since I'm away, but I hope these breakdowns whet your appetite at what's to come.

Anything else you want to know before the season gets underway? Let me know, and I'll do my best to get that info for you!

Who do you think wins this division, and who will win the ABO Championship? What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:17 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
The Tropics win the ABO series easily. They have that division in the bag.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
I must say I like these stadium names

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next