Post subject: Re: Life mode Log - OF Ryan Evert
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Offseason - I returned to Canberra, enjoying some time off, but keeping in shape. I read a lot, worked out, and got pounded by accolades - well, from the few fellow Aussies that know MLB, that is. My old WBC chaps are really proud of me - I hope my performance helps some of them get a better look.

This looks like a better season. We kept Frank Thomas on board, and Jack Cust looks primed for the outfield, left or center. We also obtained Evan Longoria somehow from the Rays - awesome! Another good move, Rafael Furcal is now our second baseman! Or shortstop, depending. Furcal hit behind me in some ST games, and man that is good stuff. Longoria didn't make any appearances, but with Furcal, Chavez, and Cust following me, and Longoria on the team, there are going to be a LOT more opportunities to score.

I need to see about our pitchers, too. Bowen took over as the main catcher, and he and I have hung out a bit. Oakley is still here, playing center now and then, and a rookie named Tremie is in the outfield mix as well. Denorfia is still on the team, but I haven't seen Travis Buck or Emil Brown. Looks like Mike Sweeney left, so Thomas or someone else will be manning first.

I pledge a new amount this year, $200 per RBI - I figure I won't get too many, batting leadoff in most cases. I'm really perfecting the leadoff spot - good speed, great contact, and trying to take more pitches. Sometimes I swing at that first pitch, but more often I end up going to a full count, even fouling some off. Still working on that - I'd love to have one of those game-changing at-bats, 14 pitches or something.

I met a movie star on the field one day, she made me stand in with her during some proposal scene. Seems pretty flakey and annoying, that one - but she still gave me her number. I think she recognized my name from the awards last year - probably looking to cash in. I might call her and have some fun, depending.

I also got a call from the Mizzoto rep, who reminded me that I have a sponsorship deal - last season I didn't even ask for anything. I even bought bats on my own! Anyway, I had him deliver some bats, so I only have 5 uses left. Not sure what I would need that much for.

I also put in a visit or two with Darryl, to talk about his plans for me if I were to use him as my agent. I do like Matthew, but Darryl is really a bit better, or so I hear. Since I'm going to be picky, and want to play on the West Coast only, I might go with Darryl next year. I know it's early to be thinking about Free Agency, but I would want to play for only:
Angels
Padres
Dodgers
Athletics
Giants
Mariners (maybe)

Anything else would be annoyingly far, although the Arizona team might not be so bad.

Finally, there was a charity auction, and I met Anna, who ran it. She seemed very nice, and was appreciative of all the community stuff I did last year. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but we dressed up for Halloween, and I was santa for Christmas - all that along with signing autographs and balls and bats, and donating money to funds.

Spring Training went well - but the manager kept talking the same shpeels, about maybe making the team, getting all excited when I was in the lineup...I mean, I did win some awards last year, so I figure making the major league squad is guaranteed, right? But with the way they've used pitchers and outfielders, I guess anything is possible. Anyway, I hit around .500 in Spring Training, despite tanking the last game, and am on the roster.

---------
Season opener

The opening series is against the Angels, who are pretty good this season. We lose the first two games - and badly, scores like 9-3 - but the third game I have a breakout performance, driving in 3 runs and going 4-for-5. We squeeze out a 3-2 win, pretty much on my shoulders. Mia comes over for an interview, but again, I don't actually say anything. Weird.

Oh well, on to the next city. I have more cash, more fans (150k i think?) and more expectations...can't keep the fans waiting!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
No, don't keep us waiting! This is good stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:29 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

April 2009

Well, all kinds of bad news to report...where to begin.

First, my own performance. I started out the year hitting .400-.600 over the first week, but I hit some slumps like you would not believe. Now my avg is closer to .300, about the lowest of my career - and it keeps getting worse. I have 1 homer (a grand slam), but only 7 RBIs. Columnists are already calling it a disappointing sophomore season, 'sophomore slump', saying the pressure has gotten to me or that my performance last year was a fluke. I somehow have to prove them wrong.

The whole team has been hitting poorly though - Frank Thomas at DH, Furcal at 2B/SS, Cust doing just ok. The guys that I typically see on base are Bowen (sometimes) and Tremie.

The pitching has been even worse - sometimes we'll come out hitting, scoring 2 or 4 runs in the first few innings - and suddenly the opposition scores like 4, 6, even 10 runs in one inning~! Usually 3rd, 4th or 5th. This pitching is atrocious, and it's a problem - starters can't last long, and apparently we have no one to throw out there or something.

Overall, in April we went 8-20 for last place in the AL West. I'd like to think about free agency, to where I can get away from horrible play like this - but not only am I 4+ years away from that, but I have to perform in order to go where I want! Just more pressure, argh.

The good news - I was moved to CENTER FIELD! Jack Cust is playing right, with the new guy Tremie playing left - he's cool, we've hung out a few times now. Speedy guy. So the manager and coaches finally figured out that I could play in Center. But I've made two costly errors so far this month, and again columnists and radio folks are getting on my performance, saying I'm just adequate at the corners, and a liability in center. I'll have to work hard to silence the critics.

I bought a new big-screen TV and Oakley came over to see it. He also mentioned that mirror of truth thing. Doesn't matter to me, I've only got $330k or so saved up, and I need to save more if I want to buy a place instead of rent this condo. Not sure if I want to buy in Oakland, with the likelihood I'll be traded away within the next 2 years...argh. Lots of pressure.

I've tried to buy some books on fielding and running, even an adventure novel - but I can't seem to get past page 1 on anything. All I can do is read this comic book, which I've read through a bunch. I don't get it - have I been playing ball so much that I forgot how to read? I studied the classics in high school and college...what the heck? Must be the stress.

Anyway, I'll keep going in May and try to beat these problems. Good news is, the manager doesn't look likely to demote me out of the lineup after last season's numbers. They're giving me enough rope..I just need to avoid hanging myself.

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Haha he can't read. I never understood that part. You have to read like 10 books that you don't understand and then suddenly you know how to read. A grown man can't read a silly comic book in my own life file. Good post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

BobbyBaseball: thanks man, trying to keep this kind of funny for the one post a month I throw up here. I will NOT abandon this log. I may return to it once a month or less, but I will keep on keepin' on!

---------------------

May, June, July....Into August, 2009.

The last three months were a blur. My average dipping below .300. A total of 3 homers through July. Injuries, all the time - 3 days, 5 days. I missed the all-star team. The Athletics are doing horrible - so far out of it, it's surprising whenever I hear it mentioned that we're only in 4th place - until I realize there are only 4 teams in our division. Our pitching is most of the problem - we'll go fine for 4 or 5 innings, then suddenly allow 4 or 6 or 8 runs and be out of it. It's disheartening.

August has been turning it around though. Since the trade deadline passed - and we made no moves, none - we've reeled off 9 straight wins. I hit my 4th homer of the season, and have fought to push my average back up to .310-ish. I have barely 14 RBIs - a disgusting total - but our team is never on base. D. Murphy has been the only guy on base from the bottom of the order (I'm still batting leadoff), and he can't run at all.

Bright side is steals - I have morphed into something of a speedster this year. Constantly working my speed skills (12, rated 'B'), and working pitchers to get to know their motions, has paid off huge - I just reached 100 career steals, and surpassed last year's total. I'm tops in the league - so everyone's viewing me as a speedster, slapping hits through at a good rate, and stealing tons of bases. But really my approach is to wear down the pitcher - every game I'm fighting to work 4, 6, 7 pitch at-bats, to tire out opposing pitchers, find that weak pitch to crush. I took Carlos Zambrano deep for my first leadoff homer that way - and I've been getting much, much better at fouling off tons of pitches. I'm still not walking with any frequency, but that should come next.

Reading FINALLY improved. I finished that darned comic book and threw it away, and now I can read Beginner Batting, and Beginner Running. The Adventure and Mystery novels are somehow beyond me still, but at least I remembers how to read and retain. I also did some fishing, darts, chess, hanging with Darryl some more...I have to decide whether Darryl or Matthew will represent me this offseason. I find myself just snoozing from city to city, waiting for this season to end, waiting for Oakland to trade me away so that I can get to a contending, winning team. Somewhere like Anaheim, where other hitters will wear down pitchers too, and my stealing 3rd with one out will lead to a run. In Oakland this all seems so..fruitless.

One thing getting to me is other teams' choices. Teams like the Red Sox are trading away Beckett for Alfonso Soriano...then trading away Lester. Last week we faced them, and their pitchers were ridiculous - Craig Hansen started one game, and some righty with a 7+ ERA I've never heard of started the other, Kinney I think? I mean, if you have injuries or depth issues...why trade away two rock-solid pitchers?? Makes no sense. Glad I'm not playing for them.

I still have trouble hitting lefties. I still don't like that my OBP is just a hair above my average - despite me working counts like a bandit. And I definitely, definitely don't like being on a team where trying doesn't amount to anything. Furcall is struggling here - he strikes out a lot, usually whenever I'm on base. And I keep making errors - I can't work on my fielding, because I'm so busy avoiding and recovering from injuries, and worknig my contact and speed to make sure I keep my job. Argh.

At this point I'm really looking forward to either being traded, or signing somewhere else. Mariners, Angels, Dodgers, Padres...even the Giants or D-Backs. Whichever one of those looks competitive and needs an OF'er, that is where I am headed as soon as I can.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

How many years into this are you? You have to play 6 whole seasons before you can become a free agent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I'm just in August of 2009, my second season. So yes, according to real rules, I will be indentured to Oakland for 2010, 2011(arb), 2012(arb), and 2013(arb). But since I was able to negotiate after my Rookie of the Year season, and got an increase to $800k+, I'm wondering if the game is realistic in all that - if I gain super-2 status or anything else. 99% sure it isn't.

I'm also wondering if Arb is realistic from the player's side - I know the 2-round draft won't have Type A and Type B players and draft compensation picks...and most likely it will just be the same Negotiation stuff that I'm seeing now. But Free Agency is really what I'm looking forward to in this game - a chance to get out of Oakland, see if I can pick the teams to negotiate with, let them bid on me for months Boras-style. Hopefully the A's will trade me somewhere before then, and use me as a bargaining chip to rebuild this team.

Oakland isn't that bad - I like it 'cause it's on the coast, and I get to play every day instead of being a pinch-runner or 4th OF'er. I guess it's good to be stuck here for a while and build up all my stats.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

No arbitration in this game; nor are there Type A and B free agents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

September was a better month. Being so far out (3rd place in the AL West), I sort of forgot about the playoffs, and just worked on staying healthy and getting in base. I also went nuts with the steals...Frank Thomas picked it up a bit, going from a .222 average with 10 homers over the first 5 months, to totalling over 20 homers on the season after September.

Hitting:
I had a few hitting streaks, like 5 or 10 game, but mostly just one hit a game. Towards the end I went on a good streak, had some 4-for-5 games. Didn't hit the cycle again, and had quite a few annoying streaks where I would ground out with 2 on. Still, I was easily the best hitter on the team.

Power:
Serious power outage this year. 4 homers, total...so many opportunities that I missed. (Most of this was raising the difficulty level). I still had some great hits to the gaps, got some nice doubles and triples...but I need to hit homers to make cash.

Running:
Had some stupid, stupid baserunning errors, like charging home and getting thrown out with a good relay from RF. But my steals and fast running make up for that.

Dating:
I took Mia out a few times in September - she always seemed so goofy and such a bad interviewer. I can't find a place that she really likes, but we went out for a drive once, and played chess (and even video games) once.

I made it to 'A level', whatever that means. People are starting to look at me as a real, big-time leadoff hitter. Average around .320, tons of speed and steals, can work a pitcher well, etc. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should forget about sticking to the west coast, and go to a big club where leadoff skills like mine would be appreciated...

I ended the season with a .320 average, with 4 homers and 19 RBIs. I was the leadoff man most of the season, and got a ridiculous 81 steals. This led the majors, and got me a big interview with Mia after the season. It was for 12 noon, but I had to wait around 2-3 extra hours, and finally she came. I gave the interview, and Mia was so impressed that she 'fell' for me. Apparently we're steady. I didn't exactly agree to that :P

The Red Sox won the world series over the Dodgers in 7 games. The sox looked good for it, and performances by Julian Tavarez and Julio Lugo have really kept them strong. Red Sox - great team to play for.

After the playoffs, it was time to renegotiate again. I had Mathew's friendship up to level 5, and Darryl's sticks at 3 stars...so I went with Matthew again. Bad choice, because the A's are looking to go cheap - instead of the $900k I made last season, the best Matthew could do was about $560k this year. This makes no sense - I hit for great average, am the speediest base stealer in the league, and yet my salary decreased. I guess home runs are the money-maker?? Sheesh. Maybe they will use the money saved to get some better players and a better shot at the AL West.

I practice a ton, working a bit on power over the off-season. I also work on defense, and keep my bat control up (Contact just hit B - 12). Speed is up too (Still rated a B).

I did a lot of community work - in addition to $500 for each RBI, I did a Halloween dress-up for kids, and gave bats and balls away for thanksgiving. I dressed up as Santa, again, for a christmas event. The coach and media appreciate it - more fans for me and the team, hopefully will mean more A's tickets sold, and more team income.

--------
Spring Training comes around pretty quick, and I notice a new face - Edgar Renteria is now batting 3rd. The coach has Furcal hitting leadoff (he hit like .240 last year, not sure that's bright), me hitting 2nd, and then Renteria and Eric Chavez, Jack Cust 5th, Evan Longoria 6th. First base is still an area of weakness, with Mike Sweeney and Daric Barton in house.

I've played two Spring Training games so far, doing well in my first, and going 0-for-4 in my second. Let's see what 2010 has to offer. Hopefully, more homers. :D

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I always thought it was kind of dumb, the whole dressing up as santa thing. Its a good idea, but visiting a school? Like kids really have to go to school during Christmas? If they do it is probably a school specifically for some religion that doens't celebrate Christmas but then why are they having Santa come?

Also, whatever you do, do not marry Mia. If you do then you have some dorky old guy with glasses do the news reports.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:34 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Maybe it was right before their Christmas Break, and they fast-forwarded it to show what happened. So, even though it's Christmas, it may not have happened at Christmas.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

April-May 2010

The Athletics are in pretty good shape. Furcal and Renteria hitting behind me, then Chavez, Frank Thomas, and Jack Cust. I've been on a complete tear - only 2 homers and 8 RBI, but average near .410. It's May 11th currently, and I just hit 30 steals already. I'm stealing pretty regularly - starting to dare to steal 3rd on occasion.

Rich Harden and Huston Street both got player of the week honors last week. Pitching is turning around, and we're not terrible this year. Very encouraging.

I donned a pink bat for Mother's Day. Otherwise, not much news. Took Mia out a few times, chatted with the agents, hung out with some other players on the team. Just lots of singles, a few doubles, and a lucky homer for my 2nd of the year.

My speed is actually increasing, per the scouts keeping track of such things (just hit A level, 14). At 24 I'm one of the speediest guys in the league. Working with the coaches to focus on speed and slapping hits, I've become more of an Ichiro-type than a power threat. Still, I love hitting the homer - even though most of mine just barely clear the fence. :)

I'm still getting myself in a great position, personally, for the offseason - I'll probably hit another 70/80 steal season, end with an average somewhere over .340, and hopefully improved fielding all over the OF. That makes me a definite leadoff hitter entering my arb years! Can't wait.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

More May 2010

SO frustrated. I am hitting everything in sight - I am hitting .419, and articles are comparing me to Ichiro. Every time I step up, the announcers note that I'm leading the league in hits this season. I am getting tons of steals - 40 now on the season. And for a 5-game stretch, we were actually winning.

Then, I continue getting on - almost ALWAYS a hit in the first inning, then stealing 2nd. And even with no outs and a man on second NO ONE can score me! Furcal, Renteria, Chavez, even Cust - just 0-fer everything.

I've hit leadoff triples and NOT SCORED. I've stolen 2nd AND 3rd and still not scored. This is ridiculous. Not only does it hurt my run totals on the year, but the team can't win! Arrgh. What kind of team has 2nd, 3rd and 4th hitters all in the .243 avg range? God, Oakland annoys me.

To top that off, I keep getting injured - just minor annoying things, like my knee from sliding, or a bone bruise from fouling off a pitch. I always stay in the game, but then after the game, poof, they tell me I have to sit out. Weird. I take a compress and rest, and I'm usually back in two days - and then it's a losing streak, since I've been out of the lineup.

Maybe batting me somewhere else would be better? Or having different guys after me - Renteria and Chavez as 3/4 hitters? It makes me think joining a team like the Yankees would be so much more fulfilling - actually crossing the plate now and then. Well...not Yankees. Bleh.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

June/July 2010

The Athletics traded Chris Denorfia, who was getting no playing time anyway, to the Yankees for Mike Mussina and Joba Chamberlain. WOW. We let go of a spare part, and got a solid starter, and a starter/reliever option. Since then, our pitching has been improved dramatically, and we've been on some winning streaks.

Only problem is, that Oakley guy is getting more playing time. This guy always wants to hang out, and he joined the team the same time I did - but I have no idea why. He's okay at some stuff - 5 homers - but his average is .200, and he runs so slow! The last few games (in July) they've moved him behind me in the lineup - double plays abound. The guy is slow, can't hit to the right side....it's just abominable. Why is he in the majors? And batting SECOND?? Wow.

I went on quite a tear, suddenly finding my power stroke. I went from 2 homers, to 8 homers, hitting 6 in a 10-game streak. During that time, my average rose back to .390, and I started to crack the All Star vote in Outfielder category.

Now, July 7th, I have 62 steals, average around .380, and 8 homers on the year. Now I'm not one to toot my own horn, but this is pretty phenominal. And yet, with the latest all-star balloting, I'm out of the top 5 for outfield. I can't believe this, really - put up these stats, lead the league in hits, average, AND steals, and not even the top 5. Wow, America. Just goes to show that voting is based on fandom, not performance. That's fine - just something to think about once I decide where I want to play.

I admit I do fantasize a lot about free agency. I've written a lot about what teams I would go to (D-Backs, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Padres?). And there ar a ton of reasons - Oakland gave me a pay decrease last year, I get very little recognition or accolades out here, and the surrounding lineup is weak. I know it's still quite a while out, but odds are good that I could be traded, as soon as this month.

Going to another team, I could pick which lineup/ownership suits me, ensure my contract was what I wanted, and hopefully make sure the manager wasn't the type to chastize me for not driving in runners on in one at-bat when I'm hitting .400. Ridiculous.

All that said, I'm thankful for the opportunities I have, and that I get to go out and play a game every night. The other day was Father's day, and I contributed more charity money. I have $770k in the bank, and have donated $170k over my career so far. Hopefully the world will be a better place for it.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

July 2010

Well, I've continued hitting at a torrid pace. Gotten thrown out a lot on the basepaths - pitchers are really throwing over a lot, and changing up their deliveries when I'm on first. Every catcher wants to nail me at 2nd to make a name for themselves. Still, I hit 70 steals already, and 200 for my career.

I was selected to the All-Star game - although I wasn't a starter this year. Still better than last year, 2009, where I wasn't picked at all...but frustrating that fans don't see the player with the highest average, most steals, and 8 homers to boot isn't a top 5 outfielder. But the other guys - Ichiro, Wells - are good. Matsui though? Really?

I sat on the bench most of the game - the whole reserve did, actually. There were almost no subs, which was ridiculous. In the 8th I pinch-hit for Wells, and after two quick strikes, I managed a liner to center for a hit. I get to first and immediately start prepping for an ASG steal - when I get subbed out! By CHONE FIGGINS! What the heck??

The guy with the most steals in the majors is on first, and you pinch-run for him? With a slightly slower guy??!? Holy wow. At least I got an ASG hit.

As soon as it was back to normal and I was headed out to Toronto, I hit a long 2-run homer to take out some frustration. I've been doing real good with injuries - avoided them almost all season! And still leading the league in hits, steals, AVG, etc - while hitting 9 homers or so. I am on good pace to enter my first off-season of arbitration. Hopefully that salary can get cooked up to a few mil, and the A's might be pressured to trade me to a contender.

Older/dead logs: