Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Posting:

* Individual players should be in their own thread, with the full name of the player and position(s) in the title. Don't add superlatives or any other shout outs to it... we will see your guys...
* If you post a team or a set of players, add players by editing your starting post so they're all in the same post. A bump to announce the edit is appropriate.
* Posting images are fine, provided they are small in dimension and data. 800x600 and ~50Kb should be the biggest you can post inline (using the [IMG] tag), anything larger, post a link or a clickable thumbnail instead.
* If you have wiki rights, add your player(s) and team(s) there as well!
-->

Post subject: Ben Rowen - RP - Rangers/Dodgers - Wii (COMPLETE)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
This is just a quickie project I'm doing for fun, not related to the Real-Life Players project that is ongoing. I got the idea to do this from reading the recent Fangraphs article about his uniqueness, and the success he's had with my OOTP expansion team. Using the data available in the article, and OOTP OSA ratings, here's what I have planned for him. If you want to give some advice, feel free.

Pitching Form: Submarine. Has to be, unless this indicates sidearm:

Top Speed: 83mph (threw max velocity of 80-81 in just under 9 innings in the bigs last year)
Control: Low-Mid D (Walk rate in minors in past couple years is very low, in the 1's and 2's)
Stamina: E (Almost a given)

Breaking Pitches:
Lv. 2-3 SNK
Lv. 1 CB

As for specials, I think Spin 4 is a necessity, along with Groundball P (from fangraphs article: "Roughly two-thirds of the balls in play he’s allowed have been grounders."), but nothing more.

What do you guys think?

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

Post subject: Re: Ben Rowen - RP - Rangers/Dodgers - Wii (PLANNING)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Here are my thoughts:

Submarine submarine submarine SUBMARINE submarine. Submarine.

Top Speed- 82/83
Control- 125-140 (D/C) - could justify going higher than this, even, with some of those spectacular walk rates (0.47 BB/9 in A+ in 2012)
Stamina- 45-59 (E) - has averaged at or over an inning per appearance in every season of his pro baseball career

2SFB 2 (remember, the slow SNK doesn't really occur in pitchers nowadays. with its insane sink [-7.9 ZMov!] might even go with a level 3)
CB 2 (could go SLD as well. decent drop though.)

Groundball P, maybe? 59.3 GB% is very good, but only over 8 2/3 innings pitched. Very good HR/9 rates every year
Recovery 4, obviously
w/RISP 4? wOBA dropped from .357 with bases empty to .191 w/RISP, .264 w/runners on doesn't really justify Poise 4 or anything else

No Release 4 - opponents 3/3 in SB last year
GD Delivery maybe?

Jeff Sullivan wrote:
That’s a fastball. Or a sinker. Or a sinking fastball. It wound up getting called for a borderline strike. That is by no means the important thing. Look up. The recorded velocity starts with a 7. Look down. Rowen submarines. Yeah, that’s the quirk.

72, called strikeout. Breaking ball. Rowen has a breaking ball. He submarines it. So it’s established: Ben Rowen is a right-handed submariner. In his limited big-league exposure last year, he threw a slow fastball and a slower breaking ball. He told Laurila he messes around with a changeup, but he never threw it for the Rangers. It’s in there, somewhere; probably, it’s not very good.

dot dot dot

There’s not much we can do with Rowen’s big-league data. There’s some PITCHf/x stuff, and we’ll get to that. But the actual results were generated over just a few games. Rowen has more of a minor-league track record, being 26, and having been drafted in 2010. His minor-league ERA is 1.72. It’s 1.84 in Double-A and Triple-A. He’s allowed just six home runs in 262 innings. His BABIP is right around .260. Roughly two-thirds of the balls in play he’s allowed have been grounders. Roughly two-thirds of the pitches he’s thrown have been strikes.

Rowen isn’t a big strikeout guy. It’s just about impossible to be a big strikeout guy when you top out around 82 miles per hour. But he’s proven himself to be a strike-thrower. He’s proven himself to be a groundball-generator. The latter, you expect from anyone with that sort of delivery. The former is what gives Rowen a chance.

You always figure a guy like this will have a big platoon split. And Rowen himself has said he’d like to make his changeup better, specifically so he can use it against lefties. Yet for whatever it’s worth, in the minors, Rowen has held both righties and lefties to OPS figures in the mid-.500s. And as long as he throws strikes, he can at least be effective against righties in the majors, making him useful. The stuff he throws isn’t unprecedented, but it’s extraordinarily rare.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:12 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Yankees
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
To be honest, I see more of a Darren O'Day sidearm action here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaXexkoB_w But it could go both ways, your call.

My list of success players

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

I referenced Groundball P already, so we agree with that. I know that FG doesn't classify the sinker as a sinker, but OOTP does, so I'm not sure what to do. Would SIFB be a better classification for it? I'm really not feeling a 2SFB, since it came in at 78 in the first GIF in the article, but I'm not sure. I'll wait for a few more opinions.

Also, looking at the Submarine motions available (2, sadly), they are hella underwhelming, but I'll probably go with the basic submarine motion.

"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
I vote 2SFB with the downward movement.

I've given up on the SNK because in mlbpp it's like a reverse curveball - 10-15 mph slower than a fastball with too extreme a break. Pretty much every sinker ball pitcher should - in my mind - be a SIFB or 2SFB because those sit 2-5 mph slower than the regular fastball.

Before I studied the mph and break difference I was always going with SNk to match what was in Mogul or OOTP. I don't think I've used SNk at all the past year tho.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

OK, I'll go with the 2SFB, even though I'm not a real huge fan of the pitch in practice. May even aim for a level 3.

As for blues, I think I'll focus on Groundball P, Spin 4 (haven't gotten anything contrary), and if I have time W/RISP 4. I don't want to make him too overpowered, since he JUST came up, but I'll see what I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Lol pitch fx has his fastball listed as a change up. That's how slow it is. Awesome.

His two seamer gets hit hard - players batting .500 off it - so let me check the movement tomorrow. Def a curveball, and def a slider - and unhittable slider. Threw 16 of them last season and not a single hit, wow.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject: Re: Ben Rowen - RP - Rangers/Dodgers - Wii (COMPLETE)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:59 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here he is! I think he turned out really well, his birthdate fit in with the game's parameters, and I avoided VL4! Enjoy:

Top Speed: 83mph
Control: D 133
Stamina: E 50

Breaking Balls:
Lv. 2 2SFB
Lv. 2 SLD
Lv. 1 CB

Special Abilities:
Groundball Pitcher
Spin 4
Recovery 4

Password: