Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Posting:

* Individual players should be in their own thread, with the full name of the player and position(s) in the title. Don't add superlatives or any other shout outs to it... we will see your guys...
* If you post a team or a set of players, add players by editing your starting post so they're all in the same post. A bump to announce the edit is appropriate.
* Posting images are fine, provided they are small in dimension and data. 800x600 and ~50Kb should be the biggest you can post inline (using the [IMG] tag), anything larger, post a link or a clickable thumbnail instead.
* If you have wiki rights, add your player(s) and team(s) there as well!
-->

Post subject: Andres Blanco - 2B/SS - Royals/Cubs/Rangers - Wii
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Alright, I'll join in on the fun here, but first I need to know if we're making this based on 2008 or 2010, because I don't know what team to use. :P

Contact: His average is typically below .250 but still above the Mendoza Line (which is .215), so I think he's worthy of an E+.

Power: He's had 1 home run in his whole career, so it's definitely an F-. As for trajectory, he tends to hit a lot of ground balls (as opposed to fly balls), but since it's nearly impossible to get a hit with trajectory 1, I'm thinking I'll give him 2.

Speed: Like homers, he only has 1 stolen base, but considering his fielding, he must have decent run speed to get to all those batted balls at shortstop and second, so I think I could give him E+ or D-

Arm Strength: I have no idea what I'm supposed to use to figure this out. :? A little help please?

Fielding: His UZR and UZR/150 is pretty inconsistent at short, but at second, he probably earns a D+ or C-. I'll make him a 2B with SS as a second position.

E Res: His fielding percentage is typically high (though it dipped a bit with the Cubs in 09), so I'm thinking C+ or even B-. The Rangers have tried him at 3B, but his FLD% there is only .850, so I'll only give him 3B as a 3rd position if I have extra points at the end of the game.

Abilities: I'm stuck. I'm hesitant to give him Contact Hitter (he makes contact with about 90% of pitches he swings at) and Gold Glover (his defense is very hyped up). I want to give him Patient Hitter (he swings at around half the pitches thrown to him), but I don't know how to get it. Again, help please?

Sources:
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=433217
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1907&position=2B/SS

"Just because something's impossible doesn't mean it can't be done." - Medley
"Look Beyond The F*** It™" - Benjamin Zander
"Potatoes are wannabe vegetables!" - Leila Takagi

Post subject: Re: Andres Blanco - 2B/SS - Royals/Cubs/Rangers - Wii
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:42 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Blanco
scouting: http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2 ... itions.php

I would make him in the 2008 version. so on the Cubs, 23 years old, and raw.

Lifetime avg of 246 is low E. I would hang out around 6/7.

Trajectory of 1 honestly is fine, but 2 works too. Whatever works for you.

Quote:
"On the roster for his glove, and he can make spectacular plays. But he'll also occasionally nonchalant the ball on grounders. Hangs in well on the double-play pivot. Lacks bat speed and can be overpowered at the plate."

So from that, considering he's made it to the bigs without a bat to speak of, and can play both SS and 2B, I would aim for:

fielding: D/C
E Res: E/F
Arm: D

To figure out arm, I just guess to start, but you can review scouting reports, or even better review video links. See if his throw goes straight to 1B, or arcs, and relative speed/strength of it. But if he's a good fielding, I'm thinking his arm has to be at least E/D.

I would avoid contact hitter, since that will boost his avg even more.

Patient hitter sounds good though. Not sure how to get it, but we can dig it up in a thread here.

Thanks for your help, and good luck!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:46 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Another good report: http://www.anothercubsblog.net/projecti ... arney.html

This is good reason to leave Blanco around D's for fielding. Darwin Barney is (supposedly) a much better defender. But C's might be acceptable, since he did make it to the bigs.

By the way, here's a good vid to judge his arm: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8063837

Nails that guy well from shallow center, no arc in the throw. It wasn't ultra strong, like Nick Green or anything, but that might earn a low C from me.

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

So now I think I'm looking at 2B with SS as a 2nd position on the Royals (2008 was the Royals, Rangers is now).

Trajectory: 1, 2 if I have leftover points
Power: F-
Run Speed: D-
Arm Strength: D
Fielding: D+
E Res: D-
Patient Hitter (if possible) and I might give him Pivot Man. If anyone else has ideas for abilities, please speak up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

abilities how-to thread has details on Patient Hitter - do the Patty arc and wait for her 5 or more times to get it. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1755&p=28758&hilit=patient+hitter#p28758

for team, Blanco was on the Cubs in 2008 - just int he minors. From wikipedia:

Quote:
He signed a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs in November 2007, played the 2008 season with the Iowa Cubs where he hit .285/.327/.336, and became a free agent at the end of the season. In December 2008, he re-signed with the Cubs.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Alright, Cubs then. Just one problem. I don't usually do the dating arcs, so what does it mean to "wait for Patty"? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
That's easy.
When you ask Patty out on a date one time, she'll say "as soon as I finish work" as usual, so you'll go outside and wait and all.
Night falls, and she still doesn't come. It'll give you a choice of "Go and check" or "Wait for Patty"

You end up finding out Ben has collapsed, by the way.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I dated Patty a couple times when making Quan Pham, but it never gave me that choice. Is it random or does something trigger it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
You have to get pretty far into the arc to do that.
I haven't dated her in a while, but I know that you have to advance a ways in the arc.
You know you have to work at the Ducks, and activate the scene with you trying a hot dog from the Black Dog, then have Marvin offer you a hot dog from the Black Dog. From there, you keep dating Patty, taking her to the Lookout every other date.
After this big thing where Ben leaves cuz he's sick (after the collapse), then Patty leaves, then comes back, you get the end of the arc after another date.

That's the best I can remember, but I have so many gyroballing pitchers (and one Intimidator batter ;)) that I still remember that much...

Is that any help?

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

OK, so first I have to finish the Black Dog arc before I start dating Patty. Then I take her to the lookout every other date and eventually I'll get to there. Once I wait for her 5 times, I s/l on the 6th time to get Patient Hitter. Sound right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:16 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Oh, boy. I started ninja training w/ Sittch and accidentally got Hot Hitter. I saved just before. Should I reload or just keep it as is?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:18 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

haha. some blues will be unavoidable. I'd prolly reload, but hot hitter doesn't really affect him other than stringing hits together in the same game. My rule is, if I get a few blues, I knock Contact down from my original goal. So instead of 7, I get hot Hitter and 6 or something.

BTW - the wait for patty thing doesnt let you save in between, its all one event.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Just got promoted to AAA. So far I have:

TRJ: 1
CON: E (6)
PWR: F (35)
RUN: D (8)
ARM: D (8)
FLD: D (9)
E RES: D (8)

Only ability I have is Hot Hitter. So far, I've only dated Patty 3 times, but I'll date her again this week. I'll try to get as far into her arc as possible until the coaches' vacation ends and I have to boost eval again. Hopefully, I can get Patient Hitter out of all this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:43 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Alright, I've gone on 7 dates with Patty, but Ben noticed us a week too late and I didn't have a Christmas Present for her. :( (But maybe that's preferable. I would've gotten secrets of hitting, which would have gotten me an ability I don't want. Instead, I got a Tourmaline Ring, which saves me vitality in practice; it might help me boost eval.) It seems impossible to get the Organic Dog on the menu without getting an ability. I got Table Setter at first, but I reloaded and got Tough Runner instead. It seemed preferable because Table Setter would increase his contact too much. According to the Wiki, I need to date Patty one more time at the mountains and then the "wait for Patty" thing happens on the next date. Here it goes...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Alright, something weird is going on. I think not having a gift for Patty at Christmas messed up the arc. It's April, I have her at full likability, but the "wait for Patty" event isn't being tirggered. Anyone know why?