Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Eric Davis's original stats:
Quote:
Outman Josh OAK 96 149 8 2SFB SLD CHG CB VS LH Batter

Outman was a Philiies prospect, traded for Joe Blanton. He appeared in 2008, full-time in 2009, before season-ending surgery. I will be placing him on the Phillies roster.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Outman
scouting: http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/31519/Josh_Outman
scouting: http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=133893
scouting: http://nationals.scout.com/a.z?s=235&p= ... id=3264717

some details:

Quote:
Power lefty that averaged 94 mph on his fastball last season and that would put him among the league elite. The problem is that it is too straight. You don't see lefties throw that hard very often though, so if he ever refines his stuff or learns a two-seamer with movement, he could end up being very good. He currently has 4 pitches, (fastball, slider, curve, change) and threw all of them with at least an 8% clip last year.

He averaged a K per inning in the minors, but has some controll issues with a 2:1 K:BB ratio.

He was very solid last year with a 3.20 ERA in Double-A and a 1.76 ERA in 15 innings in Triple-A before the callup.

He seems to limit HR's and gets ground balls at a 45% clip, which should play well in Oakland.

I thought he would make the rotation and rostered him in several deep leagues, but he will be rough to start with, so it was more of a flier pick.

I was actually hoping he would go to the pen in some leagues as they have holds and a power lefty with SP/RP status working in long relief would have been helpful for me.

*Oakland obviously has better talent in their system, but this kid does have a major league arm. Just not sure if it will be in the rotation or in the pen eventually.

Quote:
BTW- In my original post, I said that I thought the kid could do well if he learned a two-seamer. He didn't thrown one last year at all. According to the pitch F/x data he is now throwing a two-seamer at 6.1% of the time. That may explain some of the early success. It was a pitch he wasn't featuring last year.

So, he throws two types of fastballs, Change, Slider, and a curve and is mixing them all in.

The one thing that I wish the pitch F/x measured was how often he threw each for a strike. The fact he is throwing all of his pitches is a plus, but I would like to maybe know which ones were his stronger ones to keep in the zone.

I really haven't gotten a chance to truly grade all of his pitches now, but I have seen a couple of starts and the velocity really does jump out at you.

The key for him, like most power lefties, is throwing strikes and limiting the walks. Today he walked 5 and that wasn't a really good number.

He is still a rookie and will have growing pains, but he is on a lot of waivers right now. Kind of funny that with all the hype around the other kids, this is the guy that is putting up the best numbers. Will be the same when Vin Mazarro gets up as well.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject: Re: Josh Outman, LHP, Athletics/Phillies
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

So - my aim is:

95/96mph max speed
ctrl 149
stam
2SFB 1
SLD 2 or H-SLD 2
CB 1/2
CHG 1
vs lefty 4
w/RISP 4

durability 2 (missed half of '09, all of '10 with elbow injury)

pretty far along, should have him up soon so I can move onto brett anderson/trevor cahill/vin mazzaro. Can't believe the A's have a rotation of 5 guys doing well that includes NO ONE from their 2008 roster.

I missed it by quite a margin - despite getting injured SEVEN TIMES, I never got Durability 2. However, my stamina plummetted, and my control couldn't get as high up as I wanted. Oh well - I gave him a SLD 3 to makeup for it.

Attachments:
DSCF6392.jpg
DSCF6392.jpg [ 32.54 KiB | Viewed 5461 times ]
DSCF6393.jpg
DSCF6393.jpg [ 50.18 KiB | Viewed 5462 times ]
DSCF6394.jpg
DSCF6394.jpg [ 51.78 KiB | Viewed 5462 times ]

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:37 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
I'm glad to see someone still doing this where I and Eric Davis (as well as others) left off.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

DrMario wrote:
I'm glad to see someone still doing this where I and Eric Davis (as well as others) left off.

Did you ever post a single players password to share?

Rob hallet has posted almost 60 I think, and I've done maybe 40. Others have made contributions, but I've never seen any actual contributions from you - just lists.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Yes, I have a few from way back. But then I started editing Eric's lists, that were then transferred to the players to make.

Sparkplug and I were the ones who actually started this, he started it by making Jose Arrendondo and then I made a a lot. Gradually, others got interested and eventually took the reins of what Sparkplug and I started.

I will say, you have done considerably more than we did, or could ever hoped to do.

I wish Eric was still here... He'd be a great help.

So yes, I have many actual contributions... I helped to start the whole thing.

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I've been checking in pretty frequently and I still watch and research obscene amounts of baseball. Any questions, send them my way. I love this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:05 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

DrMario wrote:
Yes, I have a few from way back. But then I started editing Eric's lists, that were then transferred to the players to make.

Sparkplug and I were the ones who actually started this, he started it by making Jose Arrendondo and then I made a a lot. Gradually, others got interested and eventually took the reins of what Sparkplug and I started.

I will say, you have done considerably more than we did, or could ever hoped to do.

I wish Eric was still here... He'd be a great help.

So yes, I have many actual contributions... I helped to start the whole thing.

If you did create ANY players, it would be great if you could post them. They're probably all redone by others by now, but if you have any that haven't been made already, it could help.

I searched through all the threads when I created the Real Life wiki pages, to find Wii players, and besides Jose Arrondondo, David Price, Jeff Samardijza, and a bad Grant Balfour, pretty much nothing was posted. I private messaged you for over a year asking you to share your players, or post anything, none of which actually occured. In the meantime myself and others on the Wii side created scores of players.

It's great that a movement was started, but claiming credit without ever having posted a single player will tend to annoy people - especially when they've organized it, contributed countless hours getting players just right, and pushed you to actually submit what you claim to have created, without any results.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:10 am 
Intimidator
Intimidator

They have been all re-done I would imagine. The thing is that back when Sparkplug and I started this, it wasn't catching on and we just did it among ourselves, sharing between us. Then others came along and took over. In the history of creating real players, while you have contributed more hours and players, Sparkplug and I got this all started...

And no, none of the players I created are probably on the Real Life Wiki page, as when that started I was probably infrequently coming here.

Unfortunately (for me and sparkplug), while in the long run, you, rob, eric, and others will get the credit when sparkplug made the very first real player in Pedro Alvarez I believe, then I made my own version of him and from there it took off. If you want any of the passwords of the players I have made, I'll gladly pop in PP and get them.

But we're forgetting the point here, and that is is that you have taken the reins of Wii real player creating.

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Did we infringe upon some sort of copyright law that I am unaware of? If so, you can have all of my royalties plus interest, which to date totals $0.00. Have your attorney draw up the necessary documents for me to sign, and let's put this behind us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Orioles
Does it really matter who got this started? I certainly did not start due to anyone elses posts. I had only posted some of my players when Eric had started the Hitters/pitchers project. I had most of my players done well before even knowing about this site. I also don't think that anyone "owns" this idea. People post their players out of their own choice, no one is here trying to emulate or out do anyone else. I only post my players for the enjoyment of those who would like up to date rosters like myself