Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: Favorite Local Food Spots
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:45 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
In response to the number of posts regarding your favorite local eating spots, I am moving the discussion here.

One of my favorite places here in H Town is Star Pizza. This place can make a mean NY or Chicago style, and has a great choice of beer. Good prices for a huge pizza that you will enjoy every bite of.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Local Food Spots
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Unfortunately Big-D is too overrun with chain restaurants, there aren't a lot of cool "mom and pop" places.

It's hard to say though, my favorites vary depending on what style of food I'm in the mood for :) Lately it has been a little hole in the wall Thai place called "Baan Thai." I could eat Tom Kha soup about every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 am 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

I have noticed that the few times I have been through there. There are a lot of them here thankfully.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Raxx's BBQ & Brewery

Although people from the mid west / south east probably have some of the best types of BBQ's, this is one of the better ones around the inland empire.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:57 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Where I live we have a few small time businesses that just consist of a huge bbq grill and an ice cream truck-like van. They just set up on the side of the road or in a parking lot or something and the food is always fresh and excellent.

My favorite fast food (that I wish was closer to me) is Popeye's Chicken. Spicy chicken with red beans and rice, GOOD EATIN!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
rsoohoo wrote:
Raxx's BBQ & Brewery

Although people from the mid west / south east probably have some of the best types of BBQ's, this is one of the better ones around the inland empire.

Honestly, the best BBQ in the south is always homemade. As far as restaurants I would have to say Bennigans has the best BBQ ribs. I haven't had anything better than theirs. Do you guys have a Smokey Bones? It's a decent BBQ restaurant imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:10 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
For something sweet I just hit the local Sonic...gotta have that Slushy fix.

With two kids we hit anything where kids eat free, if you have kids you learn to memorize those places. When its just me and my wife, BoneFish or Carabas. She loves seafood, I love Italian. Tho one of the best meals I have had was at Red Lobster; crab bisk soup, Talapia with onions, carrorts, celerey, lemon, white wine, smoky paparika all wrapped up in parchament paper and baked....wonderful.

What was the color of dirt BEFORE it got dirty?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Swashbuckla wrote:
Honestly, the best BBQ in the south is always homemade. As far as restaurants I would have to say Bennigans has the best BBQ ribs. I haven't had anything better than theirs. Do you guys have a Smokey Bones? It's a decent BBQ restaurant imo.

BBQ is a tough call because of the different regional styles. We usually eat at Smokey Bones when I go to the Atlanta area once or twice a year for work, there is one close to our office there. They've got a good "Carolina" style BBQ, with the thinner/sweeter type of sauce. Great pulled pork :) Here in Texas, BBQ is more about beef than pork, and when you're talking about ribs that's a key difference. The sauce style tends to be more tangy and thicker in this region, often with more of a kick as well. But then I've also had a lot of Kansas City style BBQ, which generally has a much thicker molasses-based sauce.

It's all good, just a matter of taste :) A good Texas BBQ chain restaurant is "Spring Creek Barbecue" - http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
I happen to like Taco Bell, Subway, McDonald's, or any other basic fast food place when I'm home, but whenever I'm in Texas, Chic-Fil-A is like the best fast food I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:35 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
There is a place called Cooper's Barbeque that I like but unfornutatly it is a long drive away. My all-time favorite is Taste of Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:14 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '08: Sony PS2
Wyl wrote:
Swashbuckla wrote:

BBQ is a tough call because of the different regional styles. We usually eat at Smokey Bones when I go to the Atlanta area once or twice a year for work, there is one close to our office there. They've got a good "Carolina" style BBQ, with the thinner/sweeter type of sauce. Great pulled pork :) Here in Texas, BBQ is more about beef than pork, and when you're talking about ribs that's a key difference. The sauce style tends to be more tangy and thicker in this region, often with more of a kick as well. But then I've also had a lot of Kansas City style BBQ, which generally has a much thicker molasses-based sauce.

It's all good, just a matter of taste :) A good Texas BBQ chain restaurant is "Spring Creek Barbecue" - http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/

It seems that I need to go and visit these places. I love BBQ and especially BBQ ribs. Whenever I can get out there I'm going to have to try out some of the BBQ beef ribs. I was really ignorant to other areas but you have shown me the light. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:48 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Swashbuckla wrote:
Wyl wrote:
Swashbuckla wrote:

It seems that I need to go and visit these places. I love BBQ and especially BBQ ribs. Whenever I can get out there I'm going to have to try out some of the BBQ beef ribs. I was really ignorant to other areas but you have shown me the light. :)

If you are ever in Houston, go to Goode Company BBQ. The place has been open for 30 years and is the most well known and best BBQ place in town.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:54 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Diamondbacks
Console '08: PS2 and DS
There's a place here in town called Chad's Steakhouse & Saloon. I don't think it's a national chain, but they have fantastic steak served with cowboy beans. My kind of dinner.