Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: 9/11: 2001-2009
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Well, it'll be 8 years tommorrow. I'm planning on remembering it by writing "Always Remember, Never Forget: 9/11" on my hands for my Confrence tourney first round game tommorrow, and watching the annual video about it in social studies, which always makes me NEVER want to be within 20 miles of an airplane.

Discuss here.

Add me on things:
Steam: PacmanAteMe
League of Legends: PacmanAteMe
PSN: hawkey12347

Post subject: Re: 9/11: 2001-2009
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
That day was my parent's 8th wedding anniversary, and they actually said they'd skip that day for their anniversary. So, technically, they've been married 15 years instead of 16.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
One of my cousins died in 9/11 so RIP

jacoby ellsbury was born on September 11th too..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I knew a baseball player was born on 9/11... beaver nation
RIP your cousin, jacobye... :cry:

Add me on things:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:18 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
I honestly was too young to remember 9/11 but I've seen videos and that was pretty bad. RIP to everyone who died. :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I was young too. I saw it for the first time last year in social studies.. :cry:

Add me on things:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
I have a friend who was born on 9/11/95 so his birthday that year was a sad one

The reason why Outworld hadn’t went for their tenth win against Earth realm is because Raiden threatened to get Chuck Norris. Archeologists unearthed an old english dictionary dating back to the year 1236. It defined "victim" as "one who has encountered Chuck Norris"
Chuck doesn’t wash his dishes, they get clean out of fear
Although it is not common knowledge, there are actually three sides to the Force: the light side, the dark side, and Chuck Norris.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
the first time i saw that, i felt bad for those people who died.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:11 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I remember that day. I was only seven, but I remember it, and it took me a while to fully understand what had happened and it makes me sad to think about now.

Go check out my Royals season mode log!

Return to Royalty | Kansas City Royals

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
Thought I'd give a slightly older person's perspective of the day. My tradition every year since has been to remember exactly where I was and how I was exposed to the situation when it happened. I thought I'd just share that with you guys if you feel like reading a little.

I was a freshman in college on the west coast in '01. I woke up and went to the bus at about 6:30am for an early class knowing nothing. I never watched TV before school besides, my apartment didn't have cable. Two girls with whom I usually took the bus were waiting at the stop, one of which was a good friend. The other looked to me with her usual smile but this time with a hint of bewilderment and said, "Someone flew a plane into the Pentagon!" My friend, who had no TV in her apartment, laughed assuming it was a joke. My first thought was that it was a joke too. The other girl assured us that it wasn't. She hadn't heard anything more than that so we had no idea of the Twin Towers yet.

Before the bus arrived we all traded theories about pilot losing control and the whole thing being a coincidence. The bus showed up and the normally jovial driver was silent. Normally everyone on the bus kept to themselves except for those of us who knew each other. Today everyone was chattering. Asking questions, jamming the phone lines trying to find comfort from family members. The usual overflow of passengers was thinned out. Despite the number of available seats, most people we standing and holing on to the rails. Several people missed their usual stops as the lost themselves in the news break. The crackly radio over the PA system filled us in on the real story behind the developing incident. The reporter was understandably baffled and often repeated himself, "I can't believe what I'm seeing."

The bus was about a half mile from school when the first tower collapsed. It was as though we were a live audience watching a sitcom as we all let out a simultaneous gasp. We were all zombies for the rest of the ride. Everyone who was on the phone stopped talking. We were a willing captive audience listening to a surreal radio show. Even though we were imagining everything we heard, it felt so close and so real. Suddenly, New York went from almost 2,500 miles away to down the block.

We got to our stop and walked slowly and cautiously to class. We were prepared to run if anything seemed suspicious and out of place. Unfortunately for us in at Long Beach State, our school is right under the flight path to land at the Long Beach airport. Many flights that were going east came back so the now terrifying sound of passenger airplanes was a constant annoyance. The campus was barren. At the time there were around 40,000 students enrolled at the school. I'd say about 5 to 10,000 has morning class. I'd guess that less that 1,000 showed up.

As my friend went to her class and I went to mine. When I arrived, maybe 10 of the 30 or so students showed up. My professor said that she was canceling class and the school was most likely closing. She said that she was going to watch the news on the huge TV in the student union and most us decided to join her. We waited for about 15 minutes after class was supposed to start to talk and wait for any stragglers who may have been stuck in traffic. It was about that time that my mother called me to see if I was awake and to make sure I heard the news. She assured me that my Aunts who lived in New York were fine.

We walked to the student union through a empty campus. When we got to the student union, It was a mad house. Every student and most faculty members that showed up to school that day were sitting and standing in the cramped student union lobby mesmerized by the TV. I had yet to see the smoke billowing from the second tower and the rubble of the first tower. I thought my thoughts were vivid. They replayed the footage from the first plane crashing several times as soon as they got the footage but they were more involved with the collapse of the first building.

For the first time I saw the reality that my imagination tried to protect me from. we saw the stills and video of the people leaping from the building. This was real. That's when i took a step back and finally saw the big picture. Not just the structures lost, but the thousands of lives this event claimed.

It wasn't too much later that the second building fell on live TV. Once again, this crowd let out a simultaneous gasp. Heads were shaking and tears were flowing. It was at this moment that I looked around the jammed room to see hundreds of faces I had never seen before. I watched people hugging strangers with eyes swollen by tears. I hugged a few myself. It was a beautiful thing to see in the midst of this tragic moment. Once again, people broke out their oversized cell phones. At this point, most lines were jammed and many carriers had to shut down their service because they couldn't handle the load.

It wasn't until around 6 in the evening until I received my surge of phone calls from friends and family across the country. All of us sharing stories of the day. Talking about friends and family who may have been tangled up in the mess. Expressing the shock and awe of the horrifying history we had all just witnessed. Stricken with grief, terror, and yet filled with more comfort, love and hope every time I heard a familiar voice on the line.

Every generation has at least one event that will mark their lives. An event that you will look back on and remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when it happened. It was the most vividly remembered day of my life. I will carry that day with me as long as I live. I'll always remember the tragedy of those that lost their lives but I'll also remember the beauty that I saw in the student union. I'll remember the face of one guy in particular. I had never seen him before and I have never seen him since. His eyes were welled up with tears as he reached out for a hug. I needed one too but it was clear to me that he needed it much more that I did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:42 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Wow. :cry:

I woke up after the first building had crashed but watched the second on live TV. We had some neighbors at the time that had just moved from New York City about 3 months earlier and their dad had gone back on business a few days before. He had a meeting scheduled in one of the towers that morning. They came to our door about 10 am crying and trying to tell us that they thought their dad was in the building when it was hit. About 30 minutes later they came back in much better spirits and said he had called and said that the meeting had been cancelled the night before so he had stayed in his hotel. About 2 hours later they came back crying and said that a coworker had called. A terrorist had set off a bomb inside the part of the hotel where he was staying. A few hours later they got a call from him. He had gone out to lunch less than 10 minutes before the bomb went off. He's still alive today. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
i was 3 but i remember watching the news wiht my mommy,and it was scary yet depressing! :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
lanceberkman wrote:

I woke up after the first building had crashed but watched the second on live TV. We had some neighbors at the time that had just moved from New York City about 3 months earlier and their dad had gone back on business a few days before. He had a meeting scheduled in one of the towers that morning. They came to our door about 10 am crying and trying to tell us that they thought their dad was in the building when it was hit. About 30 minutes later they came back in much better spirits and said he had called and said that the meeting had been cancelled the night before so he had stayed in his hotel. About 2 hours later they came back crying and said that a coworker had called. A terrorist had set off a bomb inside the part of the hotel where he was staying. A few hours later they got a call from him. He had gone out to lunch less than 10 minutes before the bomb went off. He's still alive today. :)

Thank the glory of God for that one, man!

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Yankees
It's really sad that that 9/11 and other things like that happen. RIP to everyone who died during the events that occured. :cry:

Help us get Power Pros to the US! http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/pp09

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
dishnetkid wrote:
lanceberkman wrote:

Thank the glory of God for that one, man!

Without a doubt. :bowdown: